Introduction to Linux

atanere

Hi Rebecca, and welcome!

All of those are good distros, but not all are good for beginners. So if you are new to Linux, I would recommend several on that page (all in the 1st column)-- Ubuntu, Mint, or Zorin. It is good to try out several to see what appeals to you and what seems most comfortable to use.

Remember that Linux is not a program... it is a complete operating system, and if you are not careful it may erase your current computer operating system (Windows or Mac). So if you have questions first please be sure to ask more about this. Good luck!

atanere

So how do i get started
Hi Eli, and welcome to the site!

Pick one (or more) Linux distributions to download from here on our site or from DistroWatch. As I mentioned above, some good distros for beginners are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Zorin (and Linux Lite is good too)... but there are many other choices available. The file you download will be a .iso file, and you need to use a special method (burn image) to burn the file to a DVD, or you can use some special software to burn the .iso file to a USB flash drive. There are many free programs to burn the Linux .iso to USB, and I'm sure you can find some of them with Google.

Once you get the Linux burned to DVD or USB, you can boot directly on those and use Linux in a "live" session so that you don't do any harm to your Windows or Mac computer. Or you can install another free program called VirtualBox that will let your install Linux in a special environment called a "virtual machine." This also will not harm your regular Windows or Mac operating system.

Those are the most common ways to get started. If you have a spare computer that you can erase, you can also do a full Linux installation. The best way to do that is to let Linux have the whole computer and erase Windows, if it's there. There are ways to run install Linux and keep Windows, but that is more complicated for beginners, and you are really at risk of messing up Windows... so you may not want to go that way unless you are comfortable re-installing Windows if things go wrong.

If you have more trouble or need more advice, please start a new thread in one of the forums and ask questions as specifically as you can so we can focus better on your problem. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 35560

Thank you for these, as starter, it's a bit like going to school for the first time, you know where you want to go, but you just don't know how to get there. This takes much of that pain away. Again thanks and I will make my way through them all

SamTym

Hello to all!
Rob mentioned a table of contents here:
If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
Please advise where I can find it?

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, i think that was in one of our earlier versions of it when we were using different software for the tutorials.. I do need to get on it and make up a little index or table of contents of sorts.

tara cusumano

Thank you!

I apologize I did not formally introduce myself. I am very new to linux and tried to search through syslog for errors and had issues with the proper command

hoopie44641

Hello, all I just joined and downloaded Kubuntu. How can I run both Linux and Windows 10? I want to run Linux and have windows 10 as a backup

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
G'day @hoopie44641 and welcome to linux.org :)

Go to Getting Started and at the right-hand side near top click Start New Thread.

Give it a Title that explains a little eg "Kubuntu and Windows 10 Dual-Boot Need Help"

... and repeat what you have said above, someone will be along when they can :D

Have available the name of the .iso you downloaded, eg kubuntu18blah-blah.iso. Some specs on your computer would come in handy too.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Reactions: Rob

CptCharis

Hello, all I just joined and downloaded Kubuntu. How can I run both Linux and Windows 10? I want to run Linux and have windows 10 as a backup
Hello @hoopie44641

You can download a Virtual Machine like Virtual Box in your Window machine and from there sky is the limit. (actually your HDD is the limit :D).

You can find relevant threads in this forum about Virtual Machines. Enjoy it.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

Musa Yusuf

I'M LOST! I HAVE SO MUCH THAT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT SAY.
OK. LET'S GO. I HAVE NOT YET DOWNLOADED LINUX.
I linux going to support ALL my mixtex,tex,pdflatex,spread sheet stuff?
What internet? Must I use vpn?
What about online repo? I'm usung dropbox and google drive. I dont know how to use github.

Musa Yusuf

I have not received any reply yet.
Do send sound alerts for your replies?
My internet is horribly slow and can go off for hours or even days.

Musa Yusuf

I have not received any reply yet.
Do you send sound alerts for your replies?
My internet is horribly slow and can go off for hours or even days.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
@Musa Yusuf welcome to linux.org :)

See my Posting at #32 above and follow the directions.

The slow response is possibly due to the Season.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts