wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Welcome to linux.org @bricega :)

You may not be aware, but Member @thrueye -

"thrueye was last seen:
Jul 19, 2017"

So I suspect has resolved this by now ;)

Nice link, though, thank you for sharing

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

jtech

Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
i chosse jump into lesson

JasKinasis

If you're looking for specific information, you can cat the syslog file and grep for your pattern..

like:
Code:
cat /var/log/syslog | grep xxxx
Or more efficiently, just use grep on its own:
Code:
grep xxxx /var/log/syslog
Sorry - seeing as this thread was in the recently edited posts, I figured I'd be pedantic and point that out! :)
I've probably used cat and grep in a few posts here, but there is really no need. Why cat and grep when you can simply grep?!

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
@RODERICK PURCELL

Mate, see my response to your conversation instigated with me.

Short answer is

NO

Wiz, enjoy

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
@Tom Larson

Mate my regrets, I did not see your Posts until I came in on the Post before this :(

If you are still around, I can combine these Posts of yours in a new Thread, over at

Getting Started

I'll do it anyway, if I do not hear from you to say otherwise, yours are very valid questions, and raised by many :D

Wizard

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

Ola

Top 5 Courses of Linux Online
==================================
Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS) Complete Video Course | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/LFCS-Linux

Online Training in Linux, AWS, OpenStack, DevOps, & Azure | Linux Academy - http://bit.ly/LinuxAcademyLessons

Linux Admin Online Training | Linux Admin Certification Course | Edureka - http://bit.ly/EdurekaLinuxAdmin

Complete Linux course: Become a Linux professional | Udemy - http://bit.ly/UdemyCompleteLinux

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Certification with Virtual Machines, 2nd Edition | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/RedHat-Linux
I love these....

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

Gardouche

Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
Hello!
I'm probably not posting in the right place, Sorry for that! You may tell me if so and how and where to post?!? I'm new to the community and beginner with Linux. I want to learn and I want to do so on my second and old laptop. There are so many distributions I don't know what OS I can install? The machine is a HP Mini 210-1100 Laptop with Intel Atom [email protected],66MHz, 2Go of RAM, Hard Drive 250Go. Please direct my in the right place. Sorry for the writting, I'm french!

Gardouche the beginner

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
French-Canadian, by the sound of the accent

I'll give you your own Thread in Getting Started in a minute or two.

When you are reading this, you can either go up and click Forums, to see what we have available or right-click and open in a new tab.

As well as Getting Started, if you scroll down to Front Office, you can see Member Introductions, which is a good spot for new Members to say Hi and tell us a little about themselves, and meet some of "The Gang" :)

I'll be back with a link once I have you sorted.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW - in any Forum where you are allowed to Post, just go near top right-hand side and click icon showing "Post Thread"

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

OMGdaDPS

Hmm, at the end of the post is says to jump to "what is Linux?", But that doesn't show up in the directory that I just came from, which was the sidebar>tutorials>beginner. Where is this "what is Linux?"?

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
G'day @OMGdaDPS and welcome to linux.org :)

You'll note this Tute is 6 years old, the site has gone through revisions since then, and some of the indexes are yet to be revised (where the Tutes are concerned)

Have a scout around through Forums, and there youcan also find Front Office, where you can also find Forums Assistance and start a Thread there if you need to.

Also note Member Introductions if you want to say Hi and meet a few people.

HTH

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts