Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Introduction to Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Beginner Tutorials' started by Rob, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.

Attached Files:

AlienGod, Learner1729, Bhanu and 22 others like this.
  2. thrueye

thrueye New Member

how do I dowload the linux system ?

#2 thrueye, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. arochester

arochester Member

4. TinaSor

TinaSor New Member

Where do I start the tutorial? I can't find it anywhere?

5. arochester

arochester Member

6. TinaSor

TinaSor New Member

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. This one?

7. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

At one point, the tutorials were meant to be more of a course instead of a bunch of tutorials.. you can just read through all of them in beginner, then intermediate, then advanced. They don't cover everything, but should get you a good understanding of most things.

The link @arochester put is another good read.

AlienGod and TinaSor like this.
  8. TinaSor

TinaSor New Member

9. Sweet William

Sweet William New Member

I am hoping to find a quick and easy way to speed up my Sony VA10, using Linux-mint 17.3. As a comparative
    newbie to Linux-Mint, 17.3, I'm having problems with the only instruction that I have found; it began "in dash open...."
    Since I had no idea where to find Dash, its meaning was lost to me.

10. arochester

arochester Member

11. Sweet William

Sweet William New Member

I 'm sorry. I thought that I had lost my connection, so I left the conversation seeking advice somewhere else.

12. Sweet William

Sweet William New Member

You must have also, gone on to other activities. Bye

13. saichandu

saichandu New Member

14. Shivam

Shivam New Member

15. arochester

arochester Member

@Shivam

Ok. You have quoted Rob's post from the top of this thread. Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

Rob likes this.
  16. X-Mas S. Besra

X-Mas S. Besra New Member

Thank You Team Linux ...

17. Dror Kobi

Dror Kobi New Member

Top 5 Courses of Linux Online
    ==================================
    Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS) Complete Video Course | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/LFCS-Linux

Online Training in Linux, AWS, OpenStack, DevOps, & Azure | Linux Academy - http://bit.ly/LinuxAcademyLessons

Linux Admin Online Training | Linux Admin Certification Course | Edureka - http://bit.ly/EdurekaLinuxAdmin

Complete Linux course: Become a Linux professional | Udemy - http://bit.ly/UdemyCompleteLinux

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Certification with Virtual Machines, 2nd Edition | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/RedHat-Linux

18. Ashraf Khatri

Ashraf Khatri New Member

19. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Welcome Ashraf! There is LOTS of help at the link you gave, so I'm confused by what you mean. Those are text articles, not video, but they give a lot of information about the basic knowledge of Linux tasks and usage, especially from the command line. Of course, you will probably begin in a graphical environment, but it is still very useful to know the underlying basics.

Almost all "introduction to Linux" learning sites will introduce you to the command line. Maybe you are confused because you are not running a Linux distro yet and you can't follow the command examples? The best way to learn Linux is to download it and burn it to a DVD or USB, then boot it up and use it. You can also install Linux into a "virtual machine" using VirtualBox (free) in Windows. Or if you have a spare computer, go all out and install Linux directly on it.

There are MANY different versions of Linux, but many are very easy for new users... some examples are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Linux Lite. Try some out, and if you don't like them, try some others! You can search on Google or YouTube to find lots of Linux training videos, but everything kind of starts "in the middle" somewhere, so you need to use it a bit to start to get an understanding. If you really want to start "at the beginning".... you're back to using the command line! :D

If you have more specific questions, please open up a new thread in one of the forums, like General Linux or Getting Started. Folks here are glad to help. Good luck!

Ashraf Khatri likes this.