A little late, but here you go

• Thread starter Deleted member 151145
  • Start date
Just needs a small edit on name

D'oh... I didn't even notice the typo... (Obviously. Else I'd have edited it.)

Thanks for noticing.

And, I can verify that it works both on this instance and in a VM. So, I'm reasonably convinced it'll work like a champ for 'em.

That took way longer than it should have. It took me way too long to realize that I had to change the permissions of the /usr/bin/bleachbit file.

Well done :)

I also just realized that I put this in the wrong thread. I guess that's what I get for doing this during dinner time and hurrying. I'll just give 'em a link in the other thread.

Well said Bob.

Bob's another Aussie, we have a few of them around. Americans outnumber us about 50 to 1 or more, followed by the British, but you can tell the Aussies because we talk up a storm, lol.
@wizardfromoz @Condobloke @lonewolf

I have a friend that lives in Western Australia near Perth I think.
One thing I always kid him about is that he talks funny.
I figure it must be an Aussie thing.

BTW Welcome Lonewolf to a very good forum.

Also, just to let you young'uns know how young you are, I remember when I was 33 and also 35. In the case of 33 that was about 55 years ago. You can figure out the diff between 35 and 88 on your own. LOL.

I remember the first computer I ever owned. It was made by Timex Corp., the watch company. That was back in the middle 80s I believe. Couldn't figure out how to use it so down the basement storage it went.

My philosophy - don't ever retire to doing nothing. Change what you do, but always do something of value for someone, even if that someone is you! {I think I picked that up somewhere along my Linux adventure.}

Enough from an old timer.
Old Geezer,
Tango Charlie.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't immediate. After I reached the age of 18 I still remembered how old I was for some more years. I think it was in my 30s when I stopped remembering how old I am. Ah well...

Man, I wrote all that just to reconfirm that I'm fairly young when compared to many of our regulars.

I don't really do much to celebrate my birthday. You gonna do anything fun to celebrate hitting the big ol' 65?
I stopped counting at 40. And that was only a few years ago. i think...

I also just realized that I put this in the wrong thread. I guess that's what I get for doing this during dinner time and hurrying. I'll just give 'em a link in the other thread.

LOL I am a bozo for not noticing that

WOOHOO!!! I have it working!

MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN 'sudo bleachbit' in the terminal and NOT have to enter a password.

Code:
sudo chmod o+x /usr/bin/bleachbit

Now, make your desktop 'bleachbit.desktop'.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=sudo bleachbit
Name=bleachbit
Comment=bleachbit
Icon=

You can add an icon. Just add the path.

Make your bleachbit.desktop executable:

Code:
sudo chmod o+x /path/to/bleachbit.desktop

Now, double click on the shortcut!

WooHoo!!! Works perfectly!!! I'm sure glad you figured that out because I would never have gotten that on my own or by searching the 'Net. Outstanding! I'm placing these instructions in a document I'll keep in a folder I have for various "how to" instructions.

I owe you one BIG time. I can now tell you guys how terribly frustrated I was getting. I don't think this is exactly how I accomplished this task before, but no matter since this works. I was really irritated that my old noggin wouldn't let me work through the problem logically. It's all too apparent that I'm not quite as sharp as I once was. The really bad thing is that along with not being quite as sharp, this old age has made me quite a bit less patient. LOL!

Anyway, problem solved!

...on to mid range computers like the AS/400 series

Greetings from an ex-AS400.:)

I worked with the S/38 (aka AS/400, aka ...) from 1987 until I retired in 2008, switch companies often but never ever got a single day of Unemployment Insurance benefit.
My dexterity is nil so my hobby now is rejuvenate old PC (with Linux) and myself.
Luckily I have a brother-in-law who is very helpful with hardware.

I wish you and everybody in this forum a good healthy new year. Let's keep going until 100+:)

I owe you one BIG time.

Glad it's sorted. I knew it was possible, so I just kept banging buttons until it worked. It took me way too long to realize that I'd actually have to change the permissions of the file.

I should copy my post over to the original thread, just so the next person doesn't have to go hunting around for the answer.

Edit: I have copied those posts to the original thread. It was an easy enough task. That way, the original thread is complete. (You can edit the first post of that thread to mark it solved.)

What I never figured out was how the devil he knew where to go to find the tab he needed. LOL!
Me neither...:rolleyes:

As I understand it, Firefox is not entirely at fault for the amount of RAM used. It has been explained to me more than once that a browser will use slightly different amounts of RAM, depending on the distribution it is running on
Hey LoneWolf, thanks for reply. Best post that I have read in a long while

Looks like we are both on the same page but seeking for that efficient Distro-Desktop in a slightly different way such that it makes no real difference.

Not many here understand RAM – as I have said many times – name me a Distro-Desktop that starts out at idle inefficiently sucking up RAM and then by some miracle gets more efficient as you work load it..? It ain’t going to happen. I will write a Topic on RAM and the Slow Zone if I can be arsed.

I am not even slightly perturbed by which method you happen to use at any one time – even neofetch or that dreadful toy-town conky. (did you miss top rather than htop and Performance or Task Manager live graphical displays?) Please be clear about RAM units though. Also you can list in order which packages use most memory in htop.

My initial experiments 4 years back, were done against all advice and myths; using Trisquel-mini v8, which uses LXDE, on my Dell Latitude E6420 i7 8GiB RAM. It ran like greased lightning I then loaded it with every heavy app I could find including 3D CAD and Pitivi video maker-editor to try and break it – no chance.

Got banned from Trisquel forum for promoting Trisquel-mini and also itsFOSS, Manjaro, Endeavour and more – just the usual groupthink-Fanboy-Moderator KDE XFCE suspects. As Trisquel-mini got slower with v9 and even worse at v10 I went distro hopping again – not Trisquel’s fault though; look upstream to ubuntu..!

One day I stumbled across this Greek distro Antix which seemed to get rid of the ubuntu top layer of the gnu-linux cake. It had to grab my attention ;) Without knowing of lighter versions I installed the FULL version and within a few minutes had it set up with the hated and unsupported LXDE. :mad: It performed better than their WM only standard configs so much so that they banned me for posting that Locos por Linux guy using only 88MiB RAM with a fully functional LXDE desktop plus Browser and LO. He also has his own official spin: Loc-OS Linux.

Please take no notice of those here on this forum who say that I am running a stripped down distro – this is clearly ridiculous with over 150 apps and according to Synaptic I have 1695 packages installed. Take no notice at all about their negative comments on Connection Manager – again ridiculous..

All this requires 160MiB at idle – 1.5GiB watching three Ffox web page videos at the same time with LO Writer open ready to edit file – 1GiB with 100+ Ffox tabs open.

I played with Suse for a few minutes – it was awful. Best of the bunch seemed to be Gecko OS – never been tempted to go and revisit – just too inefficient for my taste. See screenshots below… Same goes for anything starting with a K..! Mint is too popular and inefficient and I don’t like to run with the sheep or crowd if you prefer!

XFCE has grown heavier and heavier year on year. Have not looked recently but some tables showed it not far off KDE and Gnome. I have never found a Distro-Desktop that used XFCE to be efficient.

Hope you are keeping warm - Ziggi

Gecko on an old Tosh Satellite 2GiB RAM..
GeckoSysInfo.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-24 18-04-05.png
GeckoYast-Hardware.png
GeckoSysSet-01.png

Last edited:
Me neither...:rolleyes:

Hey LoneWolf, thanks for reply. Best post that I have read in a long while

Looks like we are both on the same page but seeking for that efficient Distro-Desktop in a slightly different way such that it makes no real difference.

Not many here understand RAM – as I have said many times – name me a Distro-Desktop that starts out at idle inefficiently sucking up RAM and then by some miracle gets more efficient as you work load it..? It ain’t going to happen. I will write a Topic on RAM and the Slow Zone if I can be arsed.

I am not even slightly perturbed by which method you happen to use at any one time – even neofetch or that dreadful toy-town conky. (did you miss top rather than htop and Performance or Task Manager live graphical displays?) Please be clear about RAM units though. Also you can list in order which packages use most memory in htop.

My initial experiments 4 years back, were done against all advice and myths; using Trisquel-mini v8, which uses LXDE, on my Dell Latitude E6420 i7 8GiB RAM. It ran like greased lightning I then loaded it with every heavy app I could find including 3D CAD and Pitivi video maker-editor to try and break it – no chance.

Got banned from Trisquel forum for promoting Trisquel-mini and also itsFOSS, Manjaro, Endeavour and more – just the usual groupthink-Fanboy-Moderator KDE XFCE suspects. As Trisquel-mini got slower with v9 and even worse at v10 I went distro hopping again – not Trisquel’s fault though; look upstream to ubuntu..!

One day I stumbled across this Greek distro Antix which seemed to get rid of the ubuntu top layer of the gnu-linux cake. It had to grab my attention ;) Without knowing of lighter versions I installed the FULL version and within a few minutes had it set up with the hated and unsupported LXDE. :mad: It performed better than their WM only standard configs so much so that they banned me for posting that Locos por Linux guy using only 88MiB RAM with a fully functional LXDE desktop plus Browser and LO. He also has his own official spin: Loc-OS Linux.

Please take no notice of those here on this forum who say that I am running a stripped down distro – this is clearly ridiculous with over 150 apps and according to Synaptic I have 1695 packages installed. Take no notice at all about their negative comments on Connection Manager – again ridiculous..

All this requires 160MiB at idle – 1.5GiB watching three Ffox web page videos at the same time with LO Writer open ready to edit file – 1GiB with 100+ Ffox tabs open.

I played with Suse for a few minutes – it was awful. Best of the bunch seemed to be Gecko OS – never been tempted to go and revisit – just too inefficient for my taste. See screenshots below… Same goes for anything starting with a K..! Mint is too popular and inefficient and I don’t like to run with the sheep or crowd if you prefer!

XFCE has grown heavier and heavier year on year. Have not looked recently but some tables showed it not far off KDE and Gnome. I have never found a Distro-Desktop that used XFCE to be efficient.

Hope you are keeping warm - Ziggi

Gecko on an old Tosh Satellite 2GiB RAM..

Oh, yeah. I realize that Htop and Task Manager allow me to see what app is burning what amount of RAM. I did the 'free -m' thing just so I had a really quick way to see how much RAM was being sucked up when I am surfing with Firefox or editing photos with Gimp. I haven't found a way to release any RAM while running Gimp, other than to close it down and reopen it. Firefox, on the other hand, has a builtin way to release RAM. Simply type 'about:memory' in the URL line and you'll be presented with what you see below. Then, you can click to run 'Garbage Collection', 'Cycle Collection', and then 'Memory Minimization'. It does help quite a bit to do that, especially if you have a lot of tabs opened and are doing things on several of them at the time. I don't see that as a "solution" to the memory problem, but at least it helps.

Screenshot_2022-12-29_12-57-25.png

Way back whenever, I tried running Conky. I know a lot of guys like it, but to me, it was more of an intrusion into normal, daily tasks instead of a useful tool. Maybe I just never took the time to learn to use it to my benefit, but it sure never caught on with me. I have my 'free -m' panel and then Task Manager and Htop so I can dive in deeper to see what is eating resources. I find those three things useful and beneficial.

I tried Trisquel a few months back. Not sure what it was, but I kind of marked it off my list of possibles. To be perfectly honest, I'd like to be able to find a distro that is preconfigured with LDXE or maybe LXQT that I can do the things I need done without a whole lot of hassle. I keep going back to LXLE over and over and over. What I should probably do is just install it and make myself figure out how to do everything I want to do. I think part of my problem right now is that I'm burnt out on all night sessions to figure out how to do one or two little things. I used to really look forward to spending that time doing that. I get flustered pretty easily anymore and abandon whatever distro I was trying to get running.

I have LXLE downloaded,,,,, AGAIN, to try out. I also have ExTix 8, Mageia 8 XFCE, Porteus 5.0 LXDE, and Solydix 10 XFCE downloaded to try. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong, but when I look and a new installation is sitting there, doing nothing except having the desktop up, and I see a full GB or more RAM used, I think to myself that there HAS to be something better. I'm not sure when or how I got started chasing a distro that will use lots less RAM than a lot of other distros. It's kind of in the same league as getting Bleachbit to run as root without prompting for a password. Once I got started trying to figure out how to do that, I couldn't let it go. I distinctly recall being able to do it in the past and like an old dog with a bone, couldn't let it go. Whether Bleachbit, or any other program requiring a password to run, I just knew there was a way around it. LOL!

I've noticed that XFCE is starting to bloat like KDE and Gnome did. That might very well be another of the reasons I'm searching for a really low resource XFCE distro, or more likely an LXDE or LXQT distro that has a few "extras" to make it an attractive and useful install.

So, are you running Antix now? If so, is it an LXDE install? I'm pretty sure I tried Antix, but it seems to me it was an XFCE install and with only the desktop up it was eating too much RAM. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems I remember it that way. It very well could have been some other glitch I couldn't get around easily.

And yes, I tried SUSE, both Tumbleweed and Leap, then also tried GeckoLinux. None of them turned me on. It might be that I've run either Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, or one of their derivatives for so long that anything else just looks wrong to me. Maybe I should just install one of the distros I've been trying over and over and then just get on with daily business and seek assistance on things I can't figure out. That may be what I end up doing with LXLE. I may just install it and then turn to help on here.

I'm going to at least try ExTix, Mageia, Porteus, and Solydix before I install LXLE. Maybe one of them will be what I've been looking for. The funny thing is that back a few years ago, it didn't matter what flavor distro I tried, I could get them all installed and ran each of them for extended periods before I installed something different. I'm not sure if I have changed that much or if the various distros and desktop environments have changed that much. LOL!

I wish you and everybody in this forum a good healthy new year. Let's keep going until 100+:)

And a happy New Year to you, and to all you other members. I hope the new year will be a good one for one and all.

But isn't RAM there to be burnt? You can max out every older consumer board for next to nothing. This and storage was the only stuff you could buy the past years without selling your soul to the devil...

Have a happy new year!

But isn't RAM there to be burnt? You can max out every older consumer board for next to nothing. This and storage was the only stuff you could buy the past years without selling your soul to the devil...

Have a happy new year!

I'm far from being an expert when it comes to the function of and performance of RAM, but in my opinion, a Linux distro should never eat 15% to 20% of available RAM just to present the desktop. Yeah, I know I can always just buy more RAM. I also know I can just buy a newer laptop with even MORE RAM, but that doesn't seem like the solution for an operating system or application eating large amounts of physical memory.

I never buy a new laptop. Period. Never have. When I was still working, I watched people literally throw away 3 to 5 year old desktops and laptops because they had gotten slow. I'm referring to Windows computers. There was NOTHING wrong with the computer. The owner was just ticked off that things were so slow. I even had long conversations with a LOT of my own customers about that. I told them I could easily wipe the hard drive and reload Windows, or if they were willing, I'd install Linux and show them how quick and stable their computer COULD be. When they refused that, what I ended up doing was offering them what I considered to be a ridiculously small amount of $$$ for trade-in on a new desktop I built for them. I'm just guessing that around 75% of those customers accepted my offer. I was then turning right around and reselling those desktop PCs for 3 or 4 times more than I gave for them.

The same is true for laptops right now. I can buy used Lenovo laptops on eBay for $100 or less, load Linux on them, and sell them for $200 to $250. I just completed a round of that a couple of months ago. I had purchased 25 laptops from a place on eBay. Out of all 25 there wasn't a single one that couldn't be just loaded with Linux for resell, or that only needed maybe a little additional RAM or maybe a bigger hard drive.

My own 4 Lenovo laptops were purchased off eBay for next to nothing. This 320-15IAP I'm using right now cost me a whopping $75 and that was a little over a year ago. Might even have been over 18 months ago. I'd have to check my records. I added 4 GB of RAM, then later decided I wanted a 1 TB SSD. I paid approx. $20 for the 4 GB of RAM and approx $100 for the SSD. So, all in all, I have a whopping $195, give or take, in this laptop. It has already served me well for around 15 to 18 months and I don't expect it to not continue serving me for another 18 to 24 months. The truth is that it could serve me longer than that, but it's so easy to buy another really good, used one on eBay for another $75 to $100. Compared to what a new one costs, even at Wally World, I can't see why I wouldn't continue doing the same thing.

Whether I have a brand spanking new computer with gobs of RAM or have a used laptop like the one I'm on, it doesn't make sense to let an OS eat large chunks of physical memory just to present the desktop if it can be avoided.

Yes, true. I need to rephrase a bit. I'm not talking about wasting ram. But if it's there, the programs you're running should make use it.
I'm also using a 10 year old platform as my main machine. Since new stuff got so annoyingly expensive in the past 2 years, i decided to use it until the motherboard switches to magic smoke mode.
INI:
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P9X79 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 4801 date: 07/24/2014
Memory:    RAM: total: 29.31 GiB used: 5.32 GiB (18.2%)
RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU:       Info: 12-core model: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 4 cache: L1: 768 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 30 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 3244 high: 3500 min/max: 1200/3500 cores: 1: 3500 2: 3134 3: 3500 4: 3500 5: 3500 6: 3500 7: 3500 8: 3500 9: 3500 10: 3500 11: 2327 12: 3500 13: 3082 14: 2191 15: 3500 16: 3500 17: 3500 18: 3302 19: 2626 20: 1708 21: 3500 22: 3500 23: 3500 24: 3500 bogomips: 142614
Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 525.60.11 arch: Pascal bus-ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.6 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.7 driver: X: loaded: nvidia gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch resolution: 1: 3840x2160~60Hz 2: 3072x1728~60Hz
API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GP102 HDMI Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A bus-ID: 2-1.3.4:5
Device-2: Creative Labs CA0108/CA10300 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel bus-ID: 06:00.0
Device-3: Logitech H600 [Wireless Headset] type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
Device-4: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NX type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio bus-ID: 2-1.3.7:8
Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.1-arch1-1 running: yes
Sound Interface: sndio v: N/A running: no
Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.63 running: yes
For a few bucks, a nice chinese fella recently sent a CPU, which cost around 2k on release.

What I hate though is when programs (like discord) eat so much ram that you could easily run a second instance of linux in it. But that is not on the distro or linux itself. What's even worse is the amount of inefficientness in regards of cpu usage, that comes with these kinds of programs.

Regards,
cs

Yes, true. I need to rephrase a bit. I'm not talking about wasting ram. But if it's there, the programs you're running should make use it.

What I hate though is when programs (like discord) eat so much ram that you could easily run a second instance of linux in it. But that is not on the distro or linux itself. What's even worse is the amount of inefficientness in regards of cpu usage, that comes with these kinds of programs.

Regards,
cs
Yep. That's what I'm having problems with too. I just can't get comfortable with a distro that eats that much RAM just to present the desktop. I have installed a few programs that ate way too much RAM and used way too much of the CPU. When I run into one of those resource hogs, I spend the next few days looking for an alternative. That's one reason I have just a few programs I pretty much insist on being able to install.

So, what does this pic tell you ?....bear in mind this is an area I never look at....thus I have no clue.

Only thing 'running' here was my desktop

1672446379768.png

So, what does this pic tell you ?

It tells me that you have a dual-core system and one CPU is pegged at the red line.

Move to the Processes tab and click to sort by CPU. That'll tell you what's eating your CPU.

cpu.png

and appearing every now and then is...
tracker miner.png

AM I opening a can of worms here?......worth opening a topic?

worth opening a topic?

Well, in your image, one of your CPU cores was pegged at 100% (or really close) for x-amount of time. I dunno how long that is.

It's worth monitoring. it's also an old computer, as it's just a two core/one core two thread system - assuming all the cores and thread showed up properly. So, high CPU usage is gonna be expected.

If you're not noticing slowdowns and freezes, I'd say it's something to examine and think about. If it's causing issues, start a thread and be prepared to monitor it for a while.

Members online