Post a screenshot of your Desktop

I'm a big BMW fan. I ride BMW bikes and, during the summer, my daily driver is an M6. I was actually looking to replace it as my daily, but then I remembered that I bought the additional OEM warranty.

Speaking of which, the dealership will be here next month to take it off for yearly maintenance. They're not local and I have a great relationship with them. They'll come put it on a special rollback, one capable of dealing with cars with low clearance.

Nubble Light Christmas Cape Neddick, ME
Screenshot_20231221_091559.png

If it will take a series of bbcode links, this is a bit long - (Sorry).
For many years I have used xwinwrap to play video and GIF files as Desktop Wallpaper, and wrote a number of small scripts to do that, with a simple Zenity interface to select them. Someone 'acquired' one that I shared and published it on Git Hub under his name, so I stopped sharing the newer ones. (I quite like people enjoying my scripts - but it is a bit mean to publish them as work under their own name).

For a long time I also wondered if there was a simple way to get Linux to play Live Stream web videos as Desktop Wallpaper.
I read various ways, including installing special programs - most of which I tried and could not get to work. But I knew it must easierwith a bit of thought. I'll enjoy this until Wayland buries it :)

Here's the result at this morning using my Mint 21.2 KDE OS running on an i5 6400T processor:

Oooops - I should have shown the Mint KDE Desktop . .
245604Q.png

And the Zenity GUI . .
9Ia2IHt.png

BhsIKpp.png

leCLp7X.png

Now the clocks are out of order, but the general ide is there.
The video plays LIVE behind everything else on teh Desktop until I click the RED X on the right panel.
The left and right Panels were originally there to give me a clear spot at the side of any Maximized windows to be able to quickly scroll.

However I use a lot of scripts and Apps on a frequent basis, so the Panels do double duty as Quick Access to scripts I have written (like the Orange and Red ones on the left that quickly start and stop Desktop Record Screen, rather than opening an app.

At the bottom is a Cairo-Dock that I use for the same sort of thing. It hides when I Maximize a window - until I move the mouse to the bottom.
One more showing that it is in fact Wallpaper - behind APPS:
Ty7T3hv.png

It all looks cluttered - but is very functional, and because my monitor is a 55 inch screen - it isn't near as bad as it would be on a small screen.
Ok, again, sorry for the huge post - and a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the season !

Last edited:
I use linuxmint 21.2 and am unable to show the temp in the panel for about a year. Are you using the weather app that comes with Cinnamon or something else?
I'm using KDE/Plasma in PCLinuxOS for that screenshot. In Cinnamon right click on panel and select add applet and when dialogue screen comes up select downloads and download the weather applet. return to manage applets and install the weather applet. It should find your location and present the current temp and weather. One thing that will prevent it from doing so is if you are use a VPN You'll need to disable it so the program can find your correct location. once found and set up you can re-enable the VPN. Good luck

I'm using KDE/Plasma in PCLinuxOS for that screenshot. In Cinnamon right click on panel and select add applet and when dialogue screen comes up select downloads and download the weather applet. return to manage applets and install the weather applet. It should find your location and present the current temp and weather. One thing that will prevent it from doing so is if you are use a VPN You'll need to disable it so the program can find your correct location. once found and set up you can re-enable the VPN. Good luck
Thanks. I will try to download the kde app and install it in Mint mate. For some reason the mint mate version of weather app is not working and not being updated anymore

Thanks. I will try to download the kde app and install it in Mint mate. For some reason the mint mate version of weather app is not working and not being updated anymore
Sorry I was talking about Cinnamon, did not realize you were on Mate. I have not had much luck with Mate's weather app. You can try changing the source of the forecast see if that may help.

Christmas desktop...
Screenshot_2023-12-21_18-11-02.png

1703201311327.png

A bit different from me .. Leeds castle [Kent] in the snow

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-10 07-53-31.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-10 07-53-31.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 287
Lubuntu 24.04 in a VM:

dej2gDi.jpg

Members online