newest kid on the block

to all,
I know have been quite again, but have been learning about resizing partitions and resetting boot sequences. So not all is lost. I guess I will be ready this weekend with down loading Linux mint to my 32 Gig stick. But for that I need a bit more help. Thanks to all your help its been an frightening and amazing experience for an 76 yr old codger. Hacodo75

you might be the perfect person to ask. I am a newbie with an acer aspire laptop. I created a partition already, 200mb and installed made neon. My only issue is when I boot it up I do not get the option to choose windows or ideas. It automatically boots into windows unless I go into the bios and change the boot to legacy and restart. But I still can’t choose. If I do that it automatically boots to kde. Driving me nuts!!!

The next thing is to make your screen look exactly like mine. Notice especially the disabled ones.
When you get down to 'Clear All Secure Boot Keys' press it. If it says 'OK" press 'Enter'. If not, then change it so it does say 'OK'.

Press down arrow key to hi-lite 'USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk'. That one needs to be in the # 1 position, where you see it on my screenshot. If you have to move it, make sure it is hi-lited and then use the F6 key to move it up.

When you get that done, press the 'F10' key, and then the 'Enter' key.
Let me know when you have that done.
Does not work. Will I have to change"secure boot" setting to disable? My jumps from secure boot direct to os boot manager
I have brought mine exactly as you in your post. However your own settings underUEFI boot order don't agree with that. My setting is now 1) USB Diskette.....in 1 st position my iOS boot manager has moved to pos 2. Yours is 1)os boot mango 2 USB Diskette.... what's right? I also had to disable secure boot to change clear all secure boot keys. Ok?

Does not work. Will I have to change"secure boot" setting to disable? My jumps from secure boot direct to os boot manager

Take it easy Bro,
Now is the time that we s l o w d o w n and not get excited.
You say 'Does not work'. What is it that does not work? Be precise.

I have brought mine exactly as you in your post. However your own settings underUEFI boot order don't agree with that. My setting is now 1) USB Diskette.....in 1 st position my iOS boot manager has moved to pos 2. Yours is 1)os boot mango 2 USB Diskette.... what's right? I also had to disable secure boot to change clear all secure boot keys. Ok?

Harald,
My apologies again. My screenshot is correct, my writing is not. OS Boot Manager first, and right under it comes USB Diskette .... Move OS Boot Mgr back on top of USB Diskette.

Secure boot needs to be 'disabled'.

:eek:
Harald,
My apologies again. My screenshot is correct, my writing is not. OS Boot Manager first, and right under it comes USB Diskette .... Move OS Boot Mgr back on top of USB Diskette.b to get all

Secure boot needs to be 'disabled'.out
I apologise Charlie, I am not excited nor am I disrespectful. You have done an amazing job to get all that sorted out. I'm merely pointing out, I found some discrepancies, on top of which my bios boot screen is slightly different, so I have to be careful not to finish up on a different boat.
Now than, the us boot manager has to be in top position and the USB discrete is beneath. Ok I have moved os boot manager back to top. I think that's it than on this bit. Thanks

Harald,
My apologies again. My screenshot is correct, my writing is not. OS Boot Manager first, and right under it comes USB Diskette .... Move OS Boot Mgr back on top of USB Diskette.

Secure boot needs to be 'disabled'.
:eek:

I apologise Charlie, I am not excited nor am I disrespectful. You have done an amazing job to get all that sorted out. I'm merely pointing out, I found some discrepancies, on top of which my bios boot screen is slightly different, so I have to be careful not to finish up on a different boat.
Now than, the us boot manager has to be in top position and the USB discrete is beneath. Ok I have moved os boot manager back to top. I think that's it than on this bit. Thanks

We are getting close to the finish. You are doing very well my friend.
Now, with 'USB Diskette...' hi-lited, press the F10 key. A box should show up and make sure 'Yes' is hi-lited. Then press 'Enter'.

Screen will go black. Immediately press and hold F9 key. 'Boot Manager' screen will open. Looks like this:
4.png

Make sure that OS boot Manager (UEFI) - ubuntu .......... is hi-lited. Then press 'Enter'.

Then this screen should show up:

6.png

Let me know how it goes and if you end up with this screen.

I'm sorry Charlie, I haven't got the option of os boot manager ubuntu...does not show on my screen.???

We are getting close to the finish. You are doing very well my friend.
Now, with 'USB Diskette...' hi-lited, press the F10 key. A box should show up and make sure 'Yes' is hi-lited. Then press 'Enter'.

Screen will go black. Immediately press and hold F9 key. 'Boot Manager' screen will open. Looks like this:
View attachment 5634

Make sure that OS boot Manager (UEFI) - ubuntu .......... is hi-lited. Then press 'Enter'.

Then this screen should show up:

View attachment 5635

Let me know how it goes and if you end up with this screen.

I'm sorry Charlie, I haven't got the option of os boot manager ubuntu...does not show on my screen.???

Exactly what does show up on your screen?

Exactly what does show up on your screen?
Just two options osboot manager (UEFI) - window boot manager ( Samsung...... second line boot from EFI file that's it. I missed to press f9 the first time after f10 enter. So went round again.

Just two options osboot manager (UEFI) - window boot manager ( Samsung...... second line boot from EFI file that's it. I missed to press f9 the first time after f10 enter. So went round again.

Harald
Click on the Samsung one ..... EFI file and see what happens. Let me know.
If you are still awake when I get back from supper, we can do more. Otherwise we take a break until tomorrow about 1 PM EST.

I also now wonder, there are two groups . tolp one has OS Boot Manager , the
Harald
Click on the Samsung one ..... EFI file and see what happens. Let me know.
If you are still awake when I get back from supper, we can do more. Otherwise we take a break until tomorrow about 1 PM EST.
The second cluster has also USB discrete its under legacy boot order , have I missed that??

I did press enter, but its a windows boot manager, so it can't be ours.

I did go over it again. Did I miss somewhere specific to linux as it's not referring to that at all.

Very kind of you to offer to work on this . Thank you for working so hard for my sakeng. And you are some more. I've had a long day, got up at 5 this morning. And you have worked hard the last few days. So you deserve an evening to relax in. I will have an early night.
Thank you for working so hard for my sake. I hope there will be other who will benefit from that research you did. Thank you Charlie for all you have done this last month on my behalf. Harald

you might be the perfect person to ask. I am a newbie with an acer aspire laptop. I created a partition already, 200mb and installed made neon

@Kawjr welcome.

go to getting started, look to right and

post thread

btw 200mb - not likely, gb?

chris turner
wizardfromoz

I went right through But everything else the whole instructions from you >> morning. I made one mistake, not changing the timing on the top line POST Hotkey Delay to 20 but everything else was correct. I also tried various different avenues, but nothing changed the Diskette boot instruction. I hope and I know you have something or someone up your sleeve, because there is somewhere MS have hidden away a barrier to make ia as difficult as they can to not dilute their precious software. H

@hacodo75 @wizardfromoz @captain-sensible

Harald,

I do have something up my sleeve. I have been busy putting together an article on how to install Linux Mint on Windows 10 HP computer. I'm about two thirds done with it. Have to clean up around the edges a little bit and add all the screenshots where needed. Right now it looks like I might have it finished by Sunday night.
When I get it finished, I will post it as an attachment.
Patience my friend. Help is on the way.

Old Geezer
TC

@70 Tango Charlie , My thumb's are red from twiddleing. I'm so close to getting Linux on and yet so far.
After 5 weeks of trying to get along with this forum, I must say, the patience is getting thinner. Had I known what an uphill undertaking it is to get Linux as an OS, I might have thought twice.
At the moment it feels like being dumped. This is not meant as a criticism, just expressing my feelings inside.
I realise I am like a barnacle, clinging on the outer hull. But I want Linux so badly, that I am willing to hang on. Come what may. So can we get on with it???? Once its achieved, I'll be off, and think of some more questions………
I meant every word I said in #275. On that bases, could you give me an hour or two to get that bit further? In the meantime I hope your writing has got you buoyed up because I think you have done remarkably well with finding a way toward and around all the obstacles you came across. Even my
novice nailvity. you friend Harald

@hacodo75 @wizardfromoz @captain-sensible

Good Morning Harald,

I have finished my little dissertation on installing Linux Mint 19.3 on Windows 10.
I suggest that you make a copy of it - even if you have to write it by hand - so you can refer to it as you go through each step.

I've included Wiz from Oz and Captain Sensible in this post for their feedback - positive or negative.
________________________________________________________________________________
How To Install Linux Mint to Dual Boot With Windows 10
by
Charlie Corder
3-5-2020​

This tutorial is demonstrating the installation of Linux Mint 19.3 Mate on a HP Laptop 15-bs2xx. It has 4 gb ram and 500 gb Hard Drive.

Things you will need: One Flash Drive – at least 4 GB, a Linux Mint 19.3 mate iso file, and a lot of patience.

Stage 1
First, go to Distrowatch.com and locate ‘Mint’ on the right side of page. Click on it. In the window that opens, scroll down to ‘Distribution Release: Linux Mint 19.3. Click on that, which takes you to this window:

Click on ‘19.3-mate-64bit.iso’. This window then opens:

Click on ‘Distribution Release: Linux Mint 19.3’

It will now begin downloading, after it asks you what you want to do with it. Click on ‘Save’. It will be saved in the ‘Downloads’ folder.

Next step is to download ‘Etcher’. This program will ‘Burn’ your iso file onto a ‘USB Flash Drive’. Go to ‘Etcher.com’ to download.

Start ‘Etcher’ and follow directions listed.

Select the Linux Mint 19.3 iso image from your downloads folder. The Adata USB is the flash drive I used, yours’ will probably be different. Total time for this operation should be no more than 6 minutes. When this is done, leave the Flash Drive in the USB port.

Stage 2
Now you are ready to have your Windows machine recognize your ‘Flash Disk’.
Go to ‘Start’ button {left bottom of screen} and click on it.

Next click on ‘Settings’ {small gear on left}
New window opens. Click on ‘Update and Security’.

New window opens. Click on ‘Recovery’.
New window opens. Under ‘Advanced Startup’, click on ‘Restart Now’.

New window opens. Click on ‘Troubleshoot’.

New window opens. Click on ‘UEFI Firmware Settings’.

New window opens. Click on ‘Restart’. Next press F10 key.
New window opens. ‘Setup Utility’.

Use arrow key to move cursor to ‘System Configuration’ tab.
Press down arrow key to hi-lite ‘Boot Options’.
Press ‘Enter’. ‘System Configuration’ screen opens.

Note: Changing the POST Hotkey Delay to 20 will allow more time for you to react, especially on Re-Starts. To change it – while hi-lited press ‘Enter’. Box opens with five choices.

Under ‘Boot Options’

POST Hotkey Delay <sec> set to <20>
CD ROM Boot disabled.
USB Boot enabled.
Network Boot disabled.
Network Boot Protocol IPv4 + IPv6 <UEFI>
Legacy Support enabled.
Secure Boot disabled.
Platform Key Not Enrolled.
Pending Action None
Clear All Secure Boot Keys
Load HP Factory Default Keys

UEFI Boot Order

OS boot manager
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk.
! USB CD/DVD ROM Drive.
! Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
! Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order

Notebook Hard Drive
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
! Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
! USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
! Network Adapter

Press F 10 key to save.
Screen will go black. Immediately press and HOLD F 9 key until Boot Manager screen opens.

Select your Linux by pressing up or down arrow keys and hi-lite it. {It might say ‘Ubuntu’} then click on your selection.

Ready to install new Linux operating system. Follow onscreen instructions.

End of instructions.

Let me assure you Harald that it is not Linux that is the problem. Windows 10 has put as many roadblocks in the way as anyone could.

Please follow these directions carefully.
All the best
Old Geezer
TC
If any questions come up feel free to ask.

Attachments

• 1583494298327.png
    1583494298327.png
    945.5 KB · Views: 535
  • 1583494375401.png
    1583494375401.png
    12.1 MB · Views: 558

Staff online

Latest posts