Gosh your timing is good, I am close to signing off for my night :p. I was saying to wife Elaine this morning over coffee "I've got to get back and check whether "Wolfie" said DVD-R or DVD-RW"

because Local Store don't have DVD-RW

DVD-R is sufficient, if the store have it/them. You only get one use out of them once the burning session is closed, but if you label and keep them, they can be handy to have as a diagnostic/recovery tool. ;)

Later

Wiz
BTW and it can be DVD-R or DVD+R, depends on the brand.

"I've got to get back and check whether "Wolfie" said DVD-R or DVD-RW"
Oops, my apologies if I've caused some confusion over the "RW" descriptor. When I brought that up (back around post #16) I was meaning the drive itself, not the disks. "DVD-RW" was meant that the drive was capable of burning DVD's. There was a period on older computers where it was somewhat common to find a "combo drive"... and they were sometimes described as CD-RW/DVD-ROM... meaning they could burn (write) CD's, but they could only read DVD's and not burn (write) to them. It was also possible that the OP's drive was a standalone CD-ROM (reader only) or CD-RW (burner).... and had no DVD capability at all.

Luckily his screenshot quickly showed his drive was a DVD Writer model, so we knew that he should be able to get Linux burned on the DVD okay. And, as Wizard said, the DVD-R or DVD+R disks are both fine to use, and maybe a little cheaper than DVD-RW disks.

Cheers

And, as Wizard said, the DVD-R or DVD+R disks are both fine to use, and maybe a little cheaper than DVD-RW disks.
Yea, I know that, but in any case it's better to have RW disk, because you can install one Linux OS Disto, if this doesn't work, for example, one of hardware can run, that's means, I can rewrite disk [Erase that Linux Distro and try another]. By the way, thank you all, I will let you know when I have brought disk. Cya:D

Hello, it's me, xD1G0x, when I have installed Mint [Still haven't], how I can get rid of Windows folder, just look at that, 22.5 GB in Windows folder, not in programs files, but in Main OS folder. I am blind right now:eek:, not actually:
aoOdYju.png

If you were confused about date in "Created:" section, I will translate:
2009 years 14th of July, 05.37.05

Thanks for everything guys and ladies and, you too, Wizard, thank you all, I will note you about getting DVD-RW, so cya :p:p:p:p;););)

Hello, it's me, xD1G0x, when I have installed Mint [Still haven't], how I can get rid of Windows folder, just look at that, 22.5 GB in Windows folder, not in programs files, but in Main OS folder. I am blind right now:eek:, not actually:
aoOdYju.png

If you were confused about date in "Created:" section, I will translate:
2009 years 14th of July, 05.37.05

Thanks for everything guys and ladies and, you too, Wizard, thank you all, I will note you about getting DVD-RW, so cya :p:p:p:p;););)

Okay what do you need Windows for? If you really don't need it then just do a complete Install and get rid of it as most of us if not all of us have done. That will get rid of everything.:)
Why are doing Sylvia 18.3 when you system will take Tara 19 with all the additional software that it has and the updated kernels etc. etc. etc.
Do it through a USB (memory stick) if you want to change then just do the live version (try before you buy) and if you don't like it, then try another. I tried a few this way but came back to Mint and as you are coming from 7 it would be one most familiar to you. DVDs take longer to load in every Linux I've tried including Mint
If you want to keep individual files then just transfer them across to an external HDD and then after you've installed whatever Linux you chose you can load them on to things.
Reading through things, I feel that you are doing what most of have done and that is thinking windows when we are coming to Linux. The only thing they have in common is that they are both operating systems, that is all. Once you get used to Linux you'll soon forget about windows and relax and enjoy using a great OS without the shouting at the screen as something happens you don't understand.
Just one final thought, keep asking your questions if you need to do so, this what this forum is about and we all learn something as might of thought about things. We've all been where you are, so relax and in a few months you'll be helping others -
All the best

Just one final thought, keep asking your questions if you need to do so, this what this forum is about and we all learn something as might of thought about things. We've all been where you are, so relax and in a few months you'll be helping others.
That's what I'm doing. LOL.
I don't need actually Windows. I just browsing through Internet, watching Youtube videos.
Cya soon ;33
Wolfie going home!! ;3

If you really don't need it then just do a complete Install and get rid of it as most of us if not all of us have done. That will get rid of everything.:)
Agree with this 100%. If you're ready to jump in with both feet, then during the Linux installation process you can tell it to "Use entire disk" and it will do exactly that, and Windows will be gone. Be sure to back up anything that you want to keep.

Cheers

Agree with this 100%. If you're ready to jump in with both feet, then during the Linux installation process you can tell it to "Use entire disk" and it will do exactly that, and Windows will be gone. Be sure to back up anything that you want to keep.

Cheers
Thank you, I will note this ;33

Hello, got a disk labeled "DVD-R", so next step test hardware and install

None of those! See if your program has an option to "burn image". That is what it is usually called, but the wording may vary slightly. If your program doesn't have this, you can download another (free) CD burning program that will do this.

It has to be done with this special "burn image" technique so that the DVD will be bootable. I mentioned this program back in post #18... it will do the "burn image" task for you:

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Cheers

None of those! See if your program has an option to "burn image". That is what it is usually called, but the wording may vary slightly. If your program doesn't have this, you can download another (free) CD burning program that will do this.

It has to be done with this special "burn image" technique so that the DVD will be bootable. I mentioned this program back in post #18... it will do the "burn image" task for you:

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Cheers
I found it, thank you

I run Live, and seems all my drivers (included usb mouse and wifi card) working fine. I am on phone now, and I am on installation screen of Installation type, how to delete windows?

I have to leave for work shortly, so I may not can follow through with you all the way.

There are only a few screens where you have to answer questions to install Linux on your computer's hard drive. One of these screens prompts you to "install alongside Windows" or you have another option to "Use entire disk" and that will erase Windows.

Since you've got the DVD to boot, even if you make mistakes, you can come back later and start all over again. It will probably take less than 30 minutes to install once you answer all the questions. Don't forget the password you enter in on these steps! Also, its good in the beginning to NOT use encryption or "LVM" (you'll see these in the install steps). You can learn more about them later, but it is better to start simple right now.

I have to leave for work shortly, so I may not can follow through with you all the way.

There are only a few screens where you have to answer questions to install Linux on your computer's hard drive. One of these screens prompts you to "install alongside Windows" or you have another option to "Use entire disk" and that will erase Windows.

Since you've got the DVD to boot, even if you make mistakes, you can come back later and start all over again. It will probably take less than 30 minutes to install once you answer all the questions. Don't forget the password you enter in on these steps! Also, its good in the beginning to NOT use encryption or "LVM" (you'll see these in the install steps). You can learn more about them later, but it is better to start simple right now.
Thank you all guys, I successfully downloaded and installed Linux Mint MATE 19. Cya soon

That's a link I am liking more and more, nice one, Ptah :)

...and Wolfie 1.7 "Turn on your Firewall", is the one I always recommend people do first.

Great work, enjoy your Linux :D

Wiz

Members online