Help needed with building a Linux PC

Last post for the night.
Jumping Jehoshaphat!!
That was fast a five second reboot!

Part of that will be the M.2 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0

Made a backup.tar on a HDD in the old pc and put it in the new one.
When i open backup.tar the archive manager pops up runs 30sec +- then shows
"An error occurred while loading the archive.
damaged tar archive"
is this do to the new UEFI install or would the backup.tar be bad?

I am thinking it will be the backup.tar

i have uefi and have zero problems with that

But....the system you backed up was not uefi?....so....maybe....just maybe

Wait for others opinions....someone will knopw a damn site more than me.....probably @osprey

Last edited:
I can recommend a good backup app
https://rescuezilla.com/
Rescuezilla

Download it to a smallish usb stick....the .iso is only 1.1 GB....so a 4gb will do

Boot your pc to that usb

follow the prompts....basically identify the drive you need to backup....and the drive you will send the backup too....

Leave its settings as default as far as compression etc are concerned.

Store the backup on an external drive my nvme has only about (approx) 30GB on it....it compresses that to approx 15.5GB

MOST IMPORTANTLY....it also will VERIFY the backup after it has been done.
THE BACKUPS WORK <<<<<....that is the acid test.
more about that later if you want to.

Made a backup.tar on a HDD in the old pc and put it in the new one.
When i open backup.tar the archive manager pops up runs 30sec +- then shows
"An error occurred while loading the archive.
damaged tar archive"
is this do to the new UEFI install or would the backup.tar be bad?
The UEFI and tar are quite separate elements in the OS, so it's not likely the new install is affecting the tar file. It's a grim message however, from the "archive manager". The first approach I'd take would be to try and open the tar file in the terminal from the command line with an extra option as follows:
Code:
tar xvf backup.tar --ignore-failed-read
or, in case it's zeros that's interfering with recovery, include the i option
Code:
tar xivf backup.tar --ignore-failed-read

Next steps, given failure, is probably to look at data recovery software like photorec and testdisk. Testdisk may be in the repo, but photorec may need to be sourced from its website.

That all said, if you still have the hard disk with the original files, it's likely quite straightforward to connect it up, and then mount it in the new system and copy the files over.

Code:
tar xvf backup.tar --ignore-failed-read
or, in case it's zeros that's interfering with recovery, include the i option
Code:
tar xivf backup.tar --ignore-failed-read
i get "backup.tar; Cannnot open; nosuch file or directory tar; Error is not recoverable; exiting now" on both.
Should put the HDD back in the old pc and do a new backup and see if that works?
LOL Or do i need to copy the backup.tar to the M.2 SSD that has the OS?

i get "backup.tar; Cannnot open; nosuch file or directory tar; Error is not recoverable; exiting now" on both.
Should put the HDD back in the old pc and do a new backup and see if that works?
LOL Or do i need to copy the backup.tar to the M.2 SSD that has the OS?
Those outputs seem fairly decisive, if they were validly run, so the backup.tar file probably warrants no further attention given there are alternatives to getting the data. The output: "nosuch file or directory" makes me suspicious that the commands may not have been run correctly, since there is a file, it's just that, apparently, it's unreadable. Nevertheless, an alternative approach to get the files follows.

There are SATA connectors on the new motherboard, so it's relatively straight forward to connect the old hard drive to one of those with a SATA cable, then connect a power cable from the new computer's power supply to the old hard drive, and then boot the machine. That's the way I'd go.

I had a look at the manual for the motherboard which was available for download here: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/p7p55d_pro/helpdesk_manual/, and it's pretty clear from the diagrams where the SATA ports are, so there shouldn't be any trouble finding them. You will need a SATA lead of course.

The old hard disk itself doesn't need to be fixed into the new computer, but just connected, resting on something stable with the box open.

Once that hardware arrangement is done, then it's a matter of booting up anew, mounting the old hard disk into the filesystem of the new computer, and then copying the files over. To find out the device name of the old hard disk, run:
Code:
lsblk
Then mount the old hard disk partition where the data is, as root, with a command like:
Code:
mount /dev/sda# /mnt
where # is a number of the partition to be mounted, and the directory /mnt being the point at which the old hard disk is actually mounted. The a in /dev/sda# may also be another letter in the lsblk output so that letter needs to be used. Once the mount is successful, you can navigate to /mnt and see the files and directories on the partition that has been mounted.

If you don't know which partition has the data, each one can be mounted in turn, inspected, and unmounted until you've found what you want. Tedious but worthwhile. To unmount, as root, run:
Code:
umount /mnt

When you've found the files you want, it's a matter of using the cp or rsync commands to copy the files from the filesystem under /mnt to a partition on the new nvme drive. The whole process is just a matter following instructions carefully, that's all :)

Last edited:
i put the HDD back in the old pc and did a new backup then it went back to the new pc.
This time i remembered to tell it where to look for the backup files.
it worked. :D

Well POOP should of got that EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 the prices have gone up!
Now its $265 not $200.

Now its $265 not $200.

It, or one functionally similar, will go back on sale. If not now, after the new year. Right now is peak shopping time, not peak sale time (unlike what many people think).

Found a "New" MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDRR6 for $100.
LOL Ordered it but wondering what im going to actually get?!

@Hillbilly H :-

Found a "New" MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDRR6 for $100.
LOL Ordered it but wondering what im going to actually get?!
Keep your fingers crossed, mate!

TBH, I've bought quite a few 'refurb'd' or otherwise second-hand electronic items over the years, and most vendors are quite honest & straight-forward; they have a 'used' item that they no longer want, and decide to sell it. Most will only do this if it's in reasonable nick, 'cos who wants to pay good money for a piece of old tat?

Example; the Dell D630 Latitude I bought last year as a second PC for use in the front room when I keep Mama company of an evening. Yes, it had the odd scratch or mark here and there.....but for a 16-yr old lappie, it had obviously been cherished and well looked-after. I don't expect it to last as long as the previous Inspiron 1100 lasted - the Nvidia mobile GPU is already showing warning signs of giving up the ghost! - but for what it is, it was in really nice condition.

I was well chuffed with what I paid for it. Can't really find fault.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I've bought quite a few 'refurb'd' or otherwise second-hand electronic
i dont mind used stuff but i dont like buying "NEW" and getn a new box with used in it. LOL

im under my max budget so i ordered a monitor and a fancy monitor mount. :)

Excellent

Wiz

LOL The old lady told me tonight that sum of the grand kids think this is going to be a Christmas present for one of them.
im going to tell them all to ask Santa Claus because this ones mine.
:D My kids are going to be pissed!:D
*pissed=mad not drunk

Last edited:
I saw where you get ddr5 - 6000MHz, https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-VENG.../dp/B0B771BL4S/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=557507345508

But I don't think any of my current systems support it.

There is also this... https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/gaming/fury-renegade-ddr5-rgb

Which says speeds up to 8000 MTs, I wonder what the difference between MHz and MTs is?
Wayyyy down at the bottom of the page it explains MTs as "Mega Transfers per second." I guess they use their own measurements, kinda like marching to a different drummer, nyuk, nyuk!:)

Wayyyy down at the bottom of the page it explains MTs as "Mega Transfers per second." I guess they use their own measurements, kinda like marching to a different drummer, nyuk, nyuk!:)

More and more companies are using "MT" as their performance metric. I'm told that it makes more sense.

I suppose it does make more sense than a more abstract MHz. Anyhow, it's not just Kingston.

Members online