Help needed with building a Linux PC

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
Well its time to build a new PC. The last one i did was 10+ years back. Things have changed!
The goal is.
1 Be Linux
2 use a modernish cpu,ram...
3 Not spend more then 1000-1500
So far im looking at.
MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard $227
Intel Core i7-12700KF - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake 12-Core (8P+4E) 3.6 GHz LGA 1700 125W $287
OLOy OWL 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) x4 $68
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. One of the grand girls seen me type "cpu" and told me it was wrong its "CUP" :)

You might want to take a look at System76. I was thinking of building a new desktop but ended up purchasing a Thelio Mira and I am completely happy with it. Zero worries about compatibility with Linux. I wish I had looked before I spent a ton of time trying to get the WIFI working on my Wife's computer.

Good Luck

More ram.....32GB

@Hillbilly H :-

Yup; I tend to agree with Brian on this one.

Don't skimp on the RAM; go for as much as your mobo will handle. (Okay, if it'll handle 64GB, perhaps not quite THAT far.....but 32GB is a good compromise these days for an enthusiast machine, and tends to be the maximum for most consumer DDR4 boards. Of course, that DOES depend on the chipset; there ARE DDR4 boards around that will handle a full 64GB, but they're few and far between, and ya gotta "dig" to find 'em.)

Combined with a halfway decent CPU and SSD, you can multitask to your heart's content.....and never need worry about running low on resources.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
i sent a email to system76 to see what motherboard and stuff thy use.

Yup; I tend to agree with Brian on this one.

Don't skimp on the RAM; go for as much as your mobo will handle. (Okay, if it'll handle 64GB, perhaps not quite THAT far.....but 32GB is a good compromise these days for an enthusiast machine, and tends to be the maximum for most consumer DDR4 boards. Of course, that DOES depend on the chipset; there ARE DDR4 boards around that will handle a full 64GB, but they're few and far between, and ya gotta "dig" to find 'em.)

Combined with a halfway decent CPU and SSD, you can multitask to your heart's content.....and never need worry about running low on resources.

Mike. ;)
i found
"asrock z690 pg riptide atx lga1700" Max. capacity of system memory: 128GB
US $124.99
"Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 3200" US $250.00

I confess, that's news to me. As far as I was aware, the biggest DDR4 modules were 16GB.....so for me, in this HP Pavilion, 2 x 16 GB (2 slots) = 32 GB. I rather doubt that these newer 32 GB modules would work for me; for one thing, this mobo only supports up to 2400 MHz, and for another, according to HP the chipset only supports a max of 32 GB anyway.

This rig came with a paltry 4 GB, which immediately became 8 GB. A month later, it increased to 16 GB.....and about 5 months after that, became the full 32 GB when I discovered an absolutely crazy deal on Crucial RAM-kits at Amazon in November of that year. With the pandemic in full swing, and lockdowns left, right & centre, I had cash building up in the bank that wouldn't normally be there.....so I decided to 'splurge' just a little!

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Not really an issue for me, though.....not running Puppy. She needs very little of that RAM to 'play in', which leaves well over 30 GB for what I want to do! For me, that's more than enough; even when multi-tasking with a lot of stuff, the most I've ever seen in use was a bit over 12 GB on one memorable occasion. I don't get anywhere NEAR the 'limits'.....which was always the object of the exercise, after all.

(My previous rig was nearly 20 yrs old; had DDR1, and only had 3 GB of it! Constant 'juggling' was the order of the day; I was determined never to be that short of resources, ever again.....)

Mike. :p

Last edited:
Last edited:

Get with it Mike, that's so 2022! :)

We actually have some servers with these. - https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-17000/256GB/HPE/726719-256_257796.htm but they are proprietary, and only fit HP servers.
@dos2unix :-

^^^ Lololol!! :p

Oh yah; that's fair comment. I've always known that hardware for servers & workstations is frequently way ahead of consumer stuff. I am, of course, talking about a fairly middle-of-the-road consumer board here, so.....frankly, I wouldn't really expect much of an available increase on that 32GB, especially given there's only 2 slots. Of course, the 2400 MHz limit doesn't exactly help, either.....

It's fast enough for me, and does what I want it to do. I'm happy with my set-up.

Mike. ;)

A few months ago my Motherboard died...so I just replaced the Motherboard...CPU and Ram.

Old Motherboard was Legacy and socket 1150 DDR3...new Motherboard is UEFI socket 1700 DDR4. I got an intel i5 CPU and 16GB DDR4 Ram. We get what we can afford as nothing's cheap...I never use anymore than 10GB of Ram...so 16GB is plenty for me of cause I can always add more.
m1212.gif

i sent a email to system76 to see what motherboard and stuff thy use.
The system76 Pc i was looking at
"Thelio Spark's" $899.00
mobo) ASRock B660M Pro RS.
cpu) 6-core 12th Gen Intel i5-12400
ram) 16GB DDR4 (3200MHz)
SSD) 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2
Integrated graphics.

What i can get the parts for.
mobo) $98.99
cpu) $149.97
ram) $50.00
SSD) $59.99
At $360 looks like a good place to start. :)

Check out System76. Have been using mine for last two years and couldn't be happier.

stupidgpt

:D...Welcome to linux.org!..:D

i like the looks of System76 stuff BUT they dont offer one thing i require.
A place to put a dvd drive!

dvd drives can be attached externally. USB 3.0

Latest posts