Help needed with building a Linux PC

Wouldn't own a computer without an internal optical drive or the option to install an optical drive.
An external optical drive is one more device on an already cluttered desk or work table imo.
I use an optical drive on a regular bases just to valuable to not have an optical drive imo.

A optical drive is a must have for this pc. if i have to ill bolt one to the top of the case. ;)
P.S. i dont give a * what my computer looks like. :D

After a lot of consideration i think im going with MSI PRO B660M-A WiFi DDR4 Motherboard.
1. i have found people saying linux will work with it. Jest kidding linux-hardware.org has "Probes" showing it works with Mint 20.3, Debian 12, Mint 21.
2. Watched 3 or 4 videos testing mobos in this price range and it was the onely one that let a i5-12600K work to is full capacity+- without tweaking the voltage.
3. $159.99
4. i need to make a decision LOL :rolleyes:

After a lot of consideration i think im going with MSI PRO B660M-A WiFi DDR4 Motherboard.
Have you considered this? The article links to a full list of affected motherboards, and it looks like the one you are considering may be included:
PRO B660M-A / PRO B660M-A WIFI: 7D43vA31 (2022-05-23) [2022-05-20]
or maybe this one
PRO B660M-A DDR4 / PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4: 7D43v133 (2022-05-23) [2022-05-19]

The article also gives methods to mitigate the vulnerability if you still decide to buy it. It may be that you will get a newer board that has the mitigation applied by MSI, but it might be a good idea to check on this, or at least be aware. This response from MSI (now 9 months old) does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling... acknowledging that they lessened their security intentionally for the convenience of their users. :eek:

Last edited:
dvd drives can be attached externally. USB 3.0
Yup. That's how I do it.

Although this Pavilion desktop came with a DVD drive, it's one of these horrible, flimsy laptop-style ones, and I HATE it.

Just a few months prior to the old Compaq's demise, I'd outfitted it with a brand-new, internal 'tray-loader' from LiteOn. I've always preferred front-loaders, so; since on its own it actually looks quite neat & tidy - unlike some internal drives! - I bought a SATA-to-USB 3.0 adapter lead.

You have to make sure you buy the correct type here; some will work with an optical drive.....many won't. Those that do, although they basically use the same circuit board, there's one additional chip. And those that don't have this extra chip, can't communicate correctly with an optical drive for some reason.

You still need to plug in the supplied wall-wart these adapters come with, in order to supply enough power for the drive motor.

I stuck 4 domed, self-adhesive rubber 'feet' on the bottom of the unit - I keep a supply of these on hand - and it sits on top of the tower, happily functioning as an 'external' drive.

Works for me..! :p

Mike. ;)

atanere

Thank you! Looks like a quick fix. i think ill stay with it "for now LOL"
This response from MSI (now 9 months old) does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling... acknowledging that they lessened their security intentionally for the convenience of their users. :eek:

i think there was a typo "convenience of their users" "Windows users stupid"

Wow!
Builtin design flaws and faults.
No optical drive or optical drive bay.
Planned obsolescence a few months after the warranty expires.
What next?

The horror! The horror!

I purchase the extended warranty services on electrical and electronic devices.
These days stuff just don't last plain and simple it's designed that way.
Ain't no profit in producing and selling a quality reliable long lasting product.

Last edited:
LOL Now what do i need for a GPU or do i need one at all?
have not found any reviews of the onboard video.
The only newer games i will play "for now" is the The witcher, witcher 2,

Found a Focus G computer case with optical drive bay $60

Found reviews of the onboard video. i was looking at mobo not the cpu.
Will need a gpu . At User Benchmark it has the onboard video 'that i looked at' for i5 12th gen as poor, very poor and terrible.

What would be a good GPU to go with?
i5-12600k, MSI PRO B660M-A WiFi DDR4 with 36GB DDR4 3200
For around $150-200

Hillbilly,

I should have gave you details of parts replaced...

Motherboard...MSI pro H610M-E DDR4 LGA 1700 socket.
CPU...12th Gen Intel core i5-12400
Ram...DDR4 3200 MHZ
Graphics Card...Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB

Not the most expensive but it works...first Graphics Card I've had for a long time and is good with Mint new Kernels. I wish it was Legacy instead of UEFI but that's life.
m1213.gif

This is what im looking at so fare.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GPU $200
MSI PRO B660M-A WiFi DDR4 $160
i5-12600K 10 (6P+4E) $240
Fractal Focus G atx case $60
360mm CPU (AIO) $64
Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 $90
Total $814
Well what yall think? See anything that wont play nicely together?

Last edited:
ahhh....H2o cooler !!!

Got it.

Do you have an adequate Power Supply to drive all this ?

My CPU was $A279 2.5GHz and a bit slower than the old CPU 3.2GHz which was much more expensive 10 years ago...unfortunately wouldn't fit on new Motherboard.
m1512.gif

I have a 650W power supply...only running a 500GB SSD etc...I believe more is best.
m1213.gif

Find an old one. ;)

I wish I could but how long would it last.
m0103.gif

Well i got the computer case ordered.
US $59.98

s-l140.jpg

Members online

Latest posts