It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I had to just establish some arbitrary numbers.

Just pick the category to which you belong.

For fun, I've made it so that you can't see the poll results unless you have also voted.

Also for fun, you can not change your vote.

(I may sticky this for a few days. I want to give folks a chance to respond.)

If you need to add a caveat, do so in the thread. Note that this is in "General Linux" and not "Off-Topic", so please try to keep it on topic.

Last edited:

I just decided to check out Linux and see what Linux was about and so I did.

My answer isn't really "right". I used Unix for years. When Linux came out, I played with it a number of times. I was playing with Linux when RedHat was still something you could buy a CD for at Best Buy.

But, I didn't use Linux exclusively until about 2007 or 2008. That's less than 15 years. So, that's what I picked.

The very best years of my ‘computing life’
I have no regrets at all, and, therefore, no intention of looking back.

The very best years of my ‘computing life’

I have to agree.

I wish I'd done a few things differently. Those early years were spent learning to use a distro, instead of learning how to use Linux. Make sense?

I just want an OS that gets out of my way - and gives me a dark theme everywhere. Linux truly gets out of my way. If I need something, I've got the terminal or a browser.

Interesting and fun topic/poll you started!

Only 10 votes so far. It's not quite the distribution I was expecting, but it's early yet.

Only 10 votes so far. It's not quite the distribution I was expecting, but it's early yet.
What kind of distribution were you expecting?

What kind of distribution were you expecting?

A lengthier bell curve.

But, I'd also speculate that the sample size is rather small at this time. I should sticky this thread. I just need to remember to un-sticky it at a later date.

A lengthier bell curve.

But, I'd also speculate that the sample size is rather small at this time. I should sticky this thread. I just need to remember to un-sticky it at a later date.
I'm younger than you would expect I think, that's why my GNU/Linux experience years aren't as high as you thought ;)

I should also have expected low response numbers. Most folks here are just here to solve a problem. I suspect most visitors won't even notice this thread. I did stick it, which may help.

As a mod, I've been trying to do things to help us have more of a community feel.

I should also have expected low response numbers. Most folks here are just here to solve a problem. I suspect most visitors won't even notice this thread. I did stick it, which may help.

As a mod, I've been trying to do things to help us have more of a community feel.
I am newbie everything and i found you :)
Me ex-apple lover, now 2months a part time Linux everything kinda gal trying to get on the linux 100% hence can throw the apple but its taking me time to do the transition currently :0

Apple is more or less a Unix under the hood. If you used the terminal much, you'll note some similarities.

And, thanks for voting. If you're gonna stick around (and you are most welcome to do so) then you might want to do an introduction thread so that folks can get to know you and see what you're about.

Apple is more or less a Unix under the hood. If you used the terminal much, you'll note some similarities.

And, thanks for voting. If you're gonna stick around (and you are most welcome to do so) then you might want to do an introduction thread so that folks can get to know you and see what you're about.
Ha, i never heard anything Terminal pre-Linux, i am so new you can smell the paint drying, but i am keen and Linux only motivated.
Why anyone want read something i write about myself, is this really help in some way do you think? thanks

But, I didn't use Linux exclusively until about 2007 or 2008.
Your poll didn't ask for exclusive use. I guess that I am still today not exclusively using Linux, but almost. ;)

I started attempting to use Linux in the mid-1990's, as best as I can guess based on the computers I was using at the time (loading Linux with floppy disks:eek:). But early attempts didn't take hold due to lack of knowledge and inadequate hardware. Within a few years, by Y2K anyway, I was able to ppp a dialup connection and use Linux regularly.

Your poll didn't ask for exclusive use.

No, it didn't. I just figured that I'd use my exclusive date as I really didn't use it a ton before that. At one point, without doing anything to even mount the drive, Knoppix ate my MBR. That was in like 1999 and it made me pretty mad. I didn't touch Linux for like 3 years after that.

I should note that my vote (1 - 1.5 yr) applies to my "daily driver" use only. I actually fooled around with VMs, Live CDs, and installs on older computers before I actually ended up switching to Linux full-time.

... before I actually ended up switching to Linux full-time.

Yeah, for simplicity sake I too used the date of when I starting using Linux exclusively. I'd otherwise be in the 15+ category. Instead, I'm in the 10 to 15 category.

Thanks for voting. I looked around to see if there had been a previous poll for this and didn't find anything, so I made one.

Wanting more response to lengthen the bell curve.....send all members an email ?

Latest posts