Help needed with building a Linux PC

Well POOP!
The GPU came today BUT its a knockoff...:(
LOL before sending it back ill pull the heat sink and look at the chipset.

LOL well go figure. All the chips markings have been removed. :rolleyes:

Ordered a MSI GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDRR6 ventus 2x xs oc. $180

:D...Yippee got the GPU and the monitor in!..:D
Now ive got to get the sound sorted out. Got sound coming from the monitor but not the pc?

:D...Yippee got the GPU and the monitor in!..:D
Now ive got to get the sound sorted out. Got sound coming from the monitor but not the pc?

Check your sound settings. You probably have sound being sent over HDMI.

Make sure that you have installed pavucontrol and then open it from the terminal with that same command name. Then, check the output tab. Make sure it's 'line out' or whatnot and not set to HDMI.

Dont have pavucontrol ive tried (sudo apt install pavucontrol) and got

Waiting for cache lock: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 5049 (packagekitd)
Then i tried using software manager with no luck.
Rebooted and tried update manager and get
"can not Proceed Anther process is currently using the package management system..."
Reboot try all again and same thing.

Install this from the Software Manager

pulseaudio

1702505385486.png

"can not Proceed Anther process is currently using the package management system..."

The best choice is to wait for that process to finish.

You might be able to click on the sound icon in your system tray and access some settings through there. The key point is to change it from HDMI out as your sound output.

LOL Time shift is our friend!
After time shift i was able to download pavucontrol and it worked. :D
The best choice is to wait for that process to finish.
it was going about four hours at one point befor the time shift.

After time shift i was able to download pavucontrol and it worked.

I wonder what was holding it up?

Ah well... Glad that's sorted. I figured that was the problem and that it was easily fixed by changing your output. I've had this happen before - except the display didn't have sound. I figured it was an output setting and checked there first. Sure enough, I just had to change to line out.

I wonder what was holding it up?
LOL i have no clue.

i have two HHD one works the other i get error when trying to mount.
(back up is the name of the HHD)
Unable to mount back up
Error mounting/dev/sda5/ at/media/t/back up;cant read superblock on /dev/sda5

Ext4

Hmm...

sudo fsck -p /dev/sda5 maybe?

sudo fsck -p /dev/sda5
Error reading block 243826714 (Input/output error).
back_up: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

sudo fsck /dev/sda5
and reboot worked.
:D...Thank you!!!:D

sudo fsck /dev/sda5
and reboot worked.

I wasn't quite sure if the -p would work but figured we'd start with that one.

Glad it's sorted. I'm just straight up Mr. Fix It lately! LOL

More accurately, I've seen the problems you had in my own experiences. I somehow remembered them.

Did you do anything special for your keyboard? I ask 'cause I just replaced my keyboard with a new one and it's stunning for the price - so far. This has me interested in keyboards. I must have watched 20 keyboard videos in the past few days. A good mechanical keyboard, of which I've owned a few, can be pretty pricey, but prices have gone down in some areas.

Didnt even think of that.

I haven't purchased an expensive keyboard in quite a while. The one I just picked up is just over $20 USD and is pretty solid feeling. The top is even made of metal. They aren't true mechanical keys, but they're pretty close. They're similar to the Cherry MX Blue keys, which I have owned before.

They make a nice click without being too offensive and disruptive. The keypress is fairly firm but not in a bad way. I'm told that this model is waterproof but I've yet to test that. I figure fate will have me testing it soon enough. If it seems to hold up and be spill-resilient, I may order a few more to use around the house or hold as spares.

@KGIII, what is the brand of that keyboard you just purchased ?

Latest posts