Help needed with building a Linux PC

@KGIII, what is the brand of that keyboard you just purchased ?

This one right here:

I've only had it for 24 hours and it has so far consumed no beer. I can't vouch for longevity, but it feels like quality and it's a lovely keyboard for the price. It's a lovely clicky noise and a perfect amount of pressure. I removed one of the caps just to see and it is indeed blue under the cap. So, my guess is that it's meant to replicate the feel of a Cherry MX Blue keyboard. That's a fine choice.

I haven't spent much money on keyboards in a while. I used to buy expensive mechanical keyboards. I even have a couple of quite old IBM keyboards kicking around the house. You need an adapter to the last standard and then an adapter to USB. The adapters I tried that went straight from the old-old style didn't work well. So, it requires two adapters - in my experience. I don't use them because they lack things like Fn keys and I like to do a great deal with my keyboard without the extra effort of remapping keys.

This keyboard is so far pretty awesome. Assuming it has longevity (and I've used this brand before with success), it's definitely worth the money.

Also, I have no idea how much that'd cost in Australia or even if it's available in your country. I suppose shipping could be arranged.

LOL Well whats you waitin fer grab a cup of joe and test it out. :D

I figure fate will step in at some point and we'll know the truth. I am not sure how much I trust the 'waterproof' claim. I'd trust it more if it didn't have current running through it constantly. You can get electronics wet and they don't mind. You just can't have power going to them at the time.

I have, for example, thrown a motherboard and components into a dishwasher. I've done the same with other components that were dusty. You just need to ensure they're completely dry before you start running that ol' electricity through them. If you don't, you might let out some of the magic smoke.

LOL i ordered a 1st player steampunk mechanical gaming keyboard for $20.

going all modern there, mate !!

B.T.W. Got it not because i needed it,looks cool,makes a clicking sound.
Got it because it will be easy to clean.;)

Just pour a beer over it....that’ll clean it !

At least make sure the power is off when you do so!

Unless it says 'waterproof', I wouldn't trust it. Heck, mine said it was waterproof and I don't trust it. I figure fate will test it for me. It's bound to happen eventually!

'waterproof'
LOL ingress protection 01"waterproof"

IP-rating.png

There's another keyboard on Amazon, that boasts drainage holes !!
1702693616824.png

So if you spill the beer/coffee, you can get it back !!......You won't lose a drop !

So if you spill the beer/coffee, you can get it back !!......You won't lose a drop !

I like this line of thinking!

I have wine at the moment, so my keyboard is safe. I swear, it's always beer that gets spilled on my keyboards. I do not know what the difference is. I'm not even usually really intoxicated at the time as I don't tend to drink all that much at once. It's just some mystical force.

Also, my keyboards are probably alcoholics. That's about all I can conclude with the evidence at hand.

LOL ingress protection 01"waterproof"

The one I bought claims to be IP65, according to the specs. That seemed pretty solid for the price but that's a big assumption of truth going on there. At the price, I'm skeptical.

Claims to be...

if i use virtualbox and allocate 3 cpu cores and 16 gb of ram to win7 will that effect the host when Not running virtualbox?

I do not use VB but I would believe Not

(Only when the VB is open)

if i use virtualbox and allocate 3 cpu cores and 16 gb of ram to win7 will that effect the host when Not running virtualbox?
Also when i delete win7 will the hard drive space allocated for it automatically switch back for the main OS?

Edit to add: I only now realised....I didnt really read the rest of your info above....this is a vm...not a real partition !

duh ! to me...read the question, condobloke !

I have never had a windows install alongside my Linux Mint....however, if this were me, I would format the area that contains win 7 to ext4. That will likely wipe the win 7 for you....and have the added advantage of being the same format as the area that is occupied by Linux Mint
Then open GParted, and proceed to resize the Linux Mint are to include what was the win 7 area

or (further thought)

Take a backup...complete...of Linux Mint...FIRST, and then reinstall Linux Mint USING THE ENTIRE DISC.....probably need to format the entire thing before reinstalling. Rescuezilla should do a good job of this.

or....Take a Timeshift snapshot that INCLUDES the below settings

2023-12-19_15-54.png

and
2023-12-19_15-54_1.png

ignore the red line....I dont include that anymore, it is a leftover from a VM

Once you have that Snapshot, stretch the Linux partition to take in the space held by windows......format the entire thing to ext4 (or the Linux Installer will do that for you...I prefer to do it myself).....and then install Linux Mint in the usual way...via a usb stick and then double click on install Linux Mint on the desktop.....be sure to install all the updates available after the install has finished.......and then access Timeshift and restore that Snapshot that you took.

Attachments

• 2023-12-19_15-54.png
    2023-12-19_15-54.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
or....wait for a few of the others here to read my blurb and have a listen to them as well.

many heads make light work (i think that's correct..?)

@wizardfromoz will have valuable input if he sees this...as will @osprey and any number of others.

Win7 would run on a virtual drive by default. It's not a real partition. It will be deleted when you remove the VM. You can also remove it by navigating to the directory and just deleting the file.

I'm on a phone.

Found 747 virtualbox files from 2015 to 2023!
LOL how do i delete them?

i forgot to say virtualbox is not installed.

Also when i delete win7 will the hard drive space allocated for it automatically switch back for the main OS?
That would be a definite No

WIn 7 will be using ntfs file type, whereas Linux will be using ext4
Found 747 virtualbox files from 2015 to 2023!
LOL how do i delete them?
right click and delete ?
If they will not pay nice....right click and open as root. Then they will delete

Make SURE you take a Timeshift snapshot BEFORE doing this.

Last edited:
:D i thank all of you for the help and advice in building this Linux PC.:D
it is Soooo much nicer then my old one!
OS Linux..............................................FREE
Intel Core i5-12400..............................$169
MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4..........$167
900w Power Supply.............................$82
DvD RW...............................................$25
Fans.....................................................$20
(2x16GB)RAM DDR4 3600.................$56
1T SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2...............$49
AIO Cooler...........................................$59