Help needed with building a Linux PC

LOL ive been informed that i AM NOT going to stay home and play with my new toy tomorrow!

Are we there yet??....
When my kids were little, the answer to "Are we there yet?" or the more direct "When will we be there?" was always "Half an hour", whether the actual ETA was 5 minutes or two hours. The kids, even the youngest of the lot, apparently had caught on to this. While preparing to go out without any kids for a while, the wife was nursing the littlest one, who was just old enough to be speaking, and impatiently muttered "Oh, when is this kid going to be done?". The little angel unlatched, smiled disarmingly and said "Half an hour" and went back to nursing. This was not the first nor the last time one of us was "pwned by a noob".

Will this work for transferring all my settings, documents, browser, passwords, addons...?
Have HDD installed with backup from old pc saved on it.
Boot new pc with Mint usb.
Copy paste backup to new SSD
Then run backup from SSD?

Will this work for transferring all my settings, documents, browser, passwords, addons...?
Have HDD installed with backup from old pc saved on it.
Boot new pc with Mint usb.
Copy paste backup to new SSD
Then run backup from SSD?

If it's legacy, you should be all set. Your new mobo will be in UEFI mode. You may have to change that if you want legacy mode. Legacy is the traditional/older BIOS, supplanted by UEFI.

If you want to move to UEFI, do a clean UEFI install and then just restore /home. You will have to reinstall a few applications. UEFI is nothing to be alarmed about. Mint works just fine with it.

If you want to move to UEFI, do a clean UEFI install and then just restore /home. You will have to reinstall a few applications. UEFI is nothing to be alarmed about. Mint works just fine with it.
LOL ill give that a try. Thank you! Tomorrow ill slap it together.. :D

^^^What KGIII said^^^

UEFI is the way to go

Ok i see im not going to "slap it together" using the AIO Cooler.
There must be an order of operation.
Power Supply in.
CPU, RAM, SSD on.
MOBO in and wired.
Shoe horn in the AIO Cooler.
Optical Drive.
Double check everything.
Wait one hour.
Double check everything.

Got it together. Now im looking for a HDMI cable.

Got it together. Now im looking for a HDMI cable.

Now that's something I have with spares. I bought good ones and they always send the monitors with a cheap one. So, I have extras. I have a filing cabinet full of spares like that. I really don't need them, but I always have that 'just in case' in the back of my mind.

So, if you want to swing over, I'll hook you up.

So, if you want to swing over, I'll hook you up.
LOL Thank you but that would be a LONG drive for a HDMI cable. But if you have a good $1000 69 charger we will be there by tomorrow night!.. :D

But if you have a good $1000 69 charger we will be there by tomorrow night!.. :D

Close, but no cigar. I stole this one at auction:

<snip>

I'll be at the next Kissimmee auction in January, but I'll be there virtually again. I much prefer bidding via phone or internet.

And, yes, I bought it at a brilliant price. I'm kind of frugal when it comes to my automotive purchases. The trick is to wait and hunt around the edges of the auction. Friday and Saturday are days when the room is full of money. Hunt around the edges and you can get some brilliant deals. This one was 70k or 77k with auction fees, and about another $500 for shipping. I pretty much stole it.

I could be convinced to sell, but not for $1000. Finding another well-sorted RT at that same price is unlikely at best.

Hmm... I should probably PM this, so we don't derail your thread. If you want to actually talk cars, we can do that via PM or in an off-topic thread.

Edit: I'm a moron. I was thinking of another car. This one does have the manual in it. So, ignore that bit.

Last edited:
One of my grandsons stopped by with a cable.. :)

LOL Now i need to find a monitor! i forgot my backup is an old VGA..:(

Remembered i have a hdmi to vga adapter on my Raspberry Pi.
Tonight ill play with getting it setup...:D

LOL i need to go to bed!
Had to update the update manager.
Download rate; 300 kb/s 40min remaining.
Question the CPU i got "Intel Core i5-12400" is a six core but Systems Monitor shows twelve what gives??

12 Threads

12 Threads
Thank you.
Like i said i need to go to bed! LOL
200.gif

Members online

Latest posts