Unable to install either Lubuntu 22.04LTS orLinux Cinnamon; What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crookedwood

Reaction score
Credits
I've been a Linux, Ubuntu and Lubuntu user for probably ten years. My wife is sick to death of Microsoft and the games they are playing with their OS. In order to mitigate her problems I bought a brand new, blank hard drive for her 64 bit laptop and had intended to install Lubuntu 22.04LTS. I downloaded the 64 bit version and created an .iso disk. I also changed her laptop's BIOS to boot from the disk first. Each time I attempt it I receive only this on the screen:

CLIENT MAC ACCR: 00 16 36 C7 13 7B GUID 434E4636 3531 3235 4A38 001636C7137B
DHCP... (then a sequence of slash bars rotating / \ / \)
Then:
PXE E53 NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED
PXE M0F: EXITING INTEL BOOT AGENT

The DVD I used to attempt the install has these two files on it:

Lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso

I also have on the same disk a file named:
which the download page suggested I should have. They call it a "bit torrent seed file"). Although I have used Linux/Ubuntu for years I am still quite the beginner and
have no idea what a "seed file" is or if I even need it.
Also my understanding is that burning an .iso file is all that is needed. I did not extract
the files from the .iso file I downloaded and wonder if I was supposed to do that?

I also attempted to install a disk I had on hand with Linux Cinnamon 64 bit but it produced the same results as I have described here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since you have years of experience, I'll assume you burned your DVD image correctly, and not just copied the ISOs as if they're files.

It looks like you have network (PXE) boot enabled, and since your hard drive is empty, it's trying to boot PXE next, and not finding, or getting to your DVD drive to boot.

I think you need to verify your boot order, and that DVD has higher priority than PXE. Also verify your DVD image burned correctly.

A seed file is for Torrents - you do not need it unless you want to download the ISO via Torrent, such as Transmission or qBittorrent which are torrent downloader apps it is just another way to download the ISO generally it is displayed by a Magnetc Link which looks like a U on the download page - screenshot from Lubuntu download page
Screenshot from 2022-06-24 12-42-06.png

So you just need to click the Desktop 64-bit button not the U (magnet)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-06-24 12-39-23.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-24 12-39-23.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
I know the 22.04LTS requires an EFI partition. Did you create one?
EFI partition is only required if you are installing UEFI it is not required for Legacy Bios
UEFI required is EFI and swap and /home
Legacy required is /boot and swap and /home
So it depends on what your Bios settings are as to what is required
My BIOS on my machine has both UEFI and Legacy I change mine to Legacy, I do not have to worry about Secure Boot , Fast Boot or any of that just 2 simple partitions on a 256GB SSD

Screenshot from 2022-06-24 12-48-55.png

@Lord Boltar Oh, I see now. He doesn't even have the iso yet. My bad. :oops:

I'll just shut up and color.
Actually I think he has the ISO and burned it to a DVD and won't install he was wondering what a "seed file" was - hence my explanation - personally I perfer writing the ISO to an USB thumb drive via Rufus or Etcher if you are using Windows - and Etcher or Unetbootin if using Linux

Well that's strange because I installed Lubuntu 22.04 in Virtualbox from the ISO about 2 weeks ago just fine.
happy0006.gif

Just burn the ISO to either a DVD or Flash Drive with etcher and boot to it then install to computer.
happy0034.gif

Last edited:
I've been a Linux, Ubuntu and Lubuntu user for probably ten years. My wife is sick to death of Microsoft and the games they are playing with their OS. In order to mitigate her problems I bought a brand new, blank hard drive for her 64 bit laptop and had intended to install Lubuntu 22.04LTS. I downloaded the 64 bit version and created an .iso disk. I also changed her laptop's BIOS to boot from the disk first. Each time I attempt it I receive only this on the screen:

CLIENT MAC ACCR: 00 16 36 C7 13 7B GUID 434E4636 3531 3235 4A38 001636C7137B
DHCP... (then a sequence of slash bars rotating / \ / \)
Then:
PXE E53 NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED
PXE M0F: EXITING INTEL BOOT AGENT

The DVD I used to attempt the install has these two files on it:

I also have on the same disk a file named:
which the download page suggested I should have. They call it a "bit torrent seed file"). Although I have used Linux/Ubuntu for years I am still quite the beginner and
Also my understanding is that burning an .iso file is all that is needed. I did not extract
the files from the .iso file I downloaded and wonder if I was supposed to do that?

I also attempted to install a disk I had on hand with Linux Cinnamon 64 bit but it produced the same results as I have described here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a similar story and just spent two weeks banging my head against the wall. My question is, was the a Linux Distro already on the computer? I found https://endlessos.com/download/ to be the only Distro that would install because of a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/1832282) on my particular laptop. I have been nuking Microsoft products and installing Linux so I know how to install it and have Hundreds of times on Several diffrent computers, so if it was a simple issue...

Well that's strange because I installed Lubuntu 22.04 in Virtualbox from the ISO about 2 weeks ago just fine.

Indeed. On any given day, I may install Lubuntu in VirtualBox two or more times. I usually just check the live version - in VirtualBox at least once a day, pretty much every day.

@crookedwood ...Welcome to Linux.org

Take a breath....start again

Write out the steps that you will take......then show them here.

Hopefully that will avoid further confusion.

I have noticed when you start to install Lubuntu (VM) you get a black screen for about 6 to 10 seconds...then it starts to install.
character0009.gif

If you're having too much trouble...you might have a look at Linux Lite...https://www.linuxliteos.com/ it easy to install and runs great on a Laptop.
happy0034.gif

Well Condobloke, I wasted two weeks of my life following everyones steps that SHOULD work (Installing Grub before a live Install, After A live install, copying an image directly to the hard drive. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+...h Quick linksFAQWinterStreetPrivate messages2 .Over and over people would tell me it's a Legacy boot thing and until I found this website that told me what was ACTUALLY going on and not what they wanted to be going on I was just spinning my wheels. The funny thing is some people are still saying my issue is a legacy boot issue AFTER I said that post helped me actually DO something about my issue that worked.

1) PXE E53 NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED
2) PXE M0F: EXITING INTEL BOOT AGENT
1) PXE-E53 error indicates that the PXE client received a reply to its DHCPDISCOVER message, but the "boot filename" information was missing in this reply
2) PXE-P0F This is a situation that happens when trying to PXE boot with Windows Deployment Services or Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

How to Fix - You need to disable PXE in the Bios as what @SlowCoder was saying - boot to Bios, usually navigate to "Integrated Devices", which may be located under the "Advanced" - Now located "Network Interface Controller" and change it to "On" rather then "On with PXE" the exact wording may be a little different depending on your Bios this change should disable the PXE option. Finally navigate to "Boot Order" it may also be called "Boot Sequence" and move the NIC to the bottom of the list - since you are wanting to boot from DVD move that to the top, then your Hard drive should be next - save the settings - usually the F10 key and exit Bios

If you did it correctly the PXE messages should be gone and you should be able to boot from any bootable DVD

@crookedwood is bogus - I am locking this thread with a view to nuke.

Cheers

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online