What am I doing wrong? (xubuntu installation)

Patient_Zero

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I am a first time linux user trying to get xubuntu going. I downloaded the .iso file and put it on my flash drive using rufus, so I know that part is good to go. However, when I get to my BIOS screen and set the boot order to boot from usb first, it just keeps opening windows 10 no matter what I try. I got to the screen where it says "a new OS is trying to be installed, enter 4 digit passcode and press enter to confirm." I did that part and it just opens up windows 10. PLEASE HELP!!! I'll be here all day. (I do not want to dual boot. I want Windows gone forever.)

Don´t go to the BIOS, go to the Bootmenu. Your startscreen will say you with button you´ve got to press.

I do not want to dual boot. I want Windows gone forever.
We love it when people say that! :D

Welcome @Patient_Zero, and sorry to hear you're having trouble. A couple of things come to mind first from your post:

1. You are probably correct that Rufus did a good job of installing to your flash drive... but you can't be sure its good until you've booted on it. Since you are still failing at that step, it still is possible that the failure is with Rufus, or possibly that you did not get a good complete download of the Xubuntu .iso file. If you've booted with this flash drive on another computer, then it probably is okay. We like to recommend that people "verify the checksum" of the Linux download before burning to USB or DVD to help prevent problems like that.

2. The screen that needs a 4-digit passcode sounds like a situation that I've seen with the BIOS requiring this code so that you can disable Secure Boot. You probably do not need to disable Secure Boot if you are going to use any of the Ubuntu line. It's okay if you do disable too though. If it is something different than this, it may help if you can take a screen capture or a photo to show us exactly what this is.

Some more thoughts about Windows 10:

1. Do not do a full shutdown before trying to boot on your flash drive. Run Windows first, and do a "Restart" instead. This should stop Windows from going into hibernation.

2. During this restart... (have the Linux flash drive already plugged in) do not go into BIOS to change the boot order, but just try to hit the proper F-key that is needed to launch the built in boot menu. This could be F9, F10, or other F-key, or sometimes the ESC key. You should see the correct key on the screen with the company logo usually.

If you still don't get it going easily, let us know what brand and model computer you're using... desktop or laptop, how much RAM, etc. Sometimes Windows 10 makes it even harder to boot on external media like a flash drive. If yours seems to be like that, then there is a series of steps you can take inside Windows that will then let your computer boot on the USB. More on that later, if needed.

If you want to "verify the checksum" of your .iso file (if you still have it)... you can search on our forums here and find several threads with some explicit instructions for that. I've got to run for now or I'd find those links for you. I'll be back in awhile, but only briefly. So others may also join in with some advice for you.

Cheers

Cool thanks. I got to the grey screen, It has two options. Xubuntu or No volume label. I selected xubuntu, and it just shows all the linux files. (casper, isolinux, preseed etc.) The problem is none of them do anything. They just show two options: <.> and <..> Have you experienced this before?

Cool thanks. I got to the grey screen, It has two options. Xubuntu or No volume label. I selected xubuntu, and it just shows all the linux files. (casper, isolinux, preseed etc.) The problem is none of them do anything. They just show two options: <.> and <..> Have you experienced this before?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you got to the BIOS Boot Manager (that would be a good thing).... but at that screen you may have picked "Boot From EFI File".... and that would not be the best choice at that step. That would have taken you to another screen that sounds like where you are, except that you should NOT be seeing all of the Xubuntu files that are on the USB stick from there. That still makes me wonder if you got Xubuntu properly burned on the USB with Rufus.

If you have a different screen BEFORE this one you are describing... what are all the options there?

Also @Patient_Zero (& welcome to linux.org :)) - can you tell us exactly the name of the .iso you burned to Rufus? eg

xubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso

... so we can give you the hashsum for it. That is the checksum Stan (@atanere ) was referring to above. There is a Windows 10 tool you can use to check this.

... while you still have Windows ... :D:D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Also @Patient_Zero (& welcome to linux.org :)) - can you tell us exactly the name of the .iso you burned to Rufus? eg

xubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso

... so we can give you the hashsum for it. That is the checksum Stan (@atanere ) was referring to above. There is a Windows 10 tool you can use to check this.

... while you still have Windows ... :D:D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
pretty much exactly that, exept now I'm trying lubuntu, and the file is intel compatible not amd. I do everything step by step from the internet, I watched all the tutorials, I set it on the BIOS boot manager to boot from usb first with normal and legacy mode. I got the OS burned properly to the usb. I used fat32 format, gonna try ntfs next, but I doubt it will make a difference. Windows ten is like a brick wall from hell. I want it gone god damn it. haha. I'll get you the name of the exact file once LOSEdows finishes updating...... Thank you all for your help seriously.

Yeah, the AMD reference may be Linux's way of saying AMD is covered, or else they're giving the finger to Intel because of their allegiance to a certain OS, but either way, it works for both. ;)

Windows ten is like a brick wall from hell. I want it gone god damn it. haha.

You'll find a number of sympathisers around here, let me tell you.

You may be as busy as a blue-arsed fly, but if you have the time for a little on-site reading, these two ladies have just come on board, seems they were looking predominantly at finding alternatives to their MS Office, but are now travelling down the Linux path as well. Quite inspirational, I find, and their threads may give you a few tips, too.

https://www.linux.org/threads/trouble-booting-up-ubuntu.17846/

and

https://www.linux.org/threads/last-used-linux-over-20-years-ago.17823/

We are all from disparate timezones, albeit predominantly US, but Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Croatia and Greece are just a few to name, so just sing out if/when you need help and someone will be along.

Wizard

Members online