[SOLVED] Mint 21 Upgrade Error Message

GLSonn

Reaction score
Credits
I'm getting an error message that the upgrade process tells me I'm supposed to fix before it can continue, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is the 'E' message: The repository 'https://repo.skype.com/deb stable InRelease' is not signed.

Immediately before this message is a 'W'arning message about a related GPG error. (I don't know what GPG is either.) Edit: I found out what GPG is.

I don't have Skype installed, so I'm not sure why this would even be a problem.

You can disable the repository. You're using Mint, so... Lemme think?

Open your application (start) menu.
In the search section, type in 'source'.
Click on Software Sources
Click on PPAs
Find the offending PPA (repo.skype.com/deb) and untick the box.

You'll probably then have to do an update so open your terminal and run:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

You can disable the repository. You're using Mint, so... Lemme think?

Open your application (start) menu.
In the search section, type in 'source'.
Click on Software Sources
Click on PPAs
Find the offending PPA (repo.skype.com/deb) and untick the box.

You'll probably then have to do an update so open your terminal and run:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
You were close, I think. I didn't find anything in PPAs, but I did find it (with others) in Additional Repositories, where I have disabled it. (The cache then refreshed itself.) Hopefully this will allow the upgrade.

Thanks!

You were close, I think. I didn't find anything in PPAs, but I did find it (with others) in Additional Repositories, where I have disabled it. (The cache then refreshed itself.) Hopefully this will allow the upgrade.

Thanks!

LOL I was just coming back to say it might be under Additional Repos. The site had an outage that meant I was delayed. It was just a brief outage of a minute or so.

I don't use Mint that often so it took me a second to recall Additional Repos was an option.

At the risk of sidetracking my own thread, I'm now to the point where I want to add a few packages to the repositories. I think I know where to do this (similar to the above) but I don't know exactly what to enter in the Add box.

These are the packages/repos I want to add:

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
epson-printer-utility
onlyoffice-desktopeditors

What exactly do I need to enter when prompted?

Those look like packages - software. They're not repositories or PPAs.

They may need a repository to be installed? I do not know... I just looked in Ubuntu's repositories and I'm not seeing them.

Have you downloaded them as .deb files from somewhere?

If so, the syntax to install them would be something like:

Code:
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/<file_name>.deb

So, something like:

Code:
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/epson-printer-utility

They're case-sensitive, as a reminder.

If you haven't already downloaded those files as .deb files, you may need to do so. You may need to add a repository and then install them. I'd check at the manufacturer's site and follow their directions - with the exception of OnlyOffice. You'll want to download that and then install it like listed above, I assume. Again, follow their instructions.

You can also just use LibreOffice, which will likely be in your default repositories and trivial to install.

Those look like packages - software. They're not repositories or PPAs.

They may need a repository to be installed? I do not know... I just looked in Ubuntu's repositories and I'm not seeing them.

Have you downloaded them as .deb files from somewhere?

If so, the syntax to install them would be something like:

Code:
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/<file_name>.deb

So, something like:

Code:
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/epson-printer-utility

They're case-sensitive, as a reminder.

If you haven't already downloaded those files as .deb files, you may need to do so. You may need to add a repository and then install them. I'd check at the manufacturer's site and follow their directions - with the exception of OnlyOffice. You'll want to download that and then install it like listed above, I assume. Again, follow their instructions.

You can also just use LibreOffice, which will likely be in your default repositories and trivial to install.
I don't remember for the Epson printer packages...I may have downloaded them to get my printer to work on this Mac-now-Linux machine. I did add OnlyOffice, which I prefer over Libre. I suppose I could just skip these for now and add them again after the upgrade. In fact, I think that's what I'll try now.

Thanks.

I am in the process of installing an Epsom, it is NOT straight forward, one of the dependencies is no longer available in Debian/Ubuntu repositories
If you can give me the printer model, I can get back to you on my morrow morning, when I am back in the office where the worksheets are kept

I suppose I could just skip these for now and add them again after the upgrade.

You might as well make sure it's going to upgrade properly before investing time installing software and drivers.

I am in the process of installing an Epsom, it is NOT straight forward, one of the dependencies is no longer available in Debian/Ubuntu repositories
If you can give me the printer model, I can get back to you on my morrow morning, when I am back in the office where the worksheets are kept
It's coming back to me now (I think) that I had to grab some stuff from the Epson site. I'm not sure that I'm even going to try reinstalling the printer. I rarely print from this machine, and I'm expecting a System76 machine soon that will replace this one. I'm mainly upgrading just to see if I could do it. :)

Upgrading to a new version is usually pretty painless. Disable 3rd party repos, download updates, install updates, reboot, add 3rd party repos back and hope they work with the updated version.

It was once a bit of a chore to update, but it's painless end (typically) error-free these days. Some folks refuse to do this and will (hopefully) do a clean installation when there's a new major revision. You also have the people who don't understand security that deliberately run old and unsupported stuff. They're a bad netizen and a risk for good netizens as they may become parts of botnets and spam relays.

Well, I upgraded successfully....mostly. I don't use a mouse, only the touchpad, which currently won't work. I can move the cursor around, but tapping the pad does nothing.

Any thoughts?

Well, I upgraded successfully....mostly. I don't use a mouse, only the touchpad, which currently won't work. I can move the cursor around, but tapping the pad does nothing.

Any thoughts?
When I upgraded Mint from 20.3 to 21.1 I had to go into the touchpad settings and re-enable Tap to Click.

When I upgraded Mint from 20.3 to 21.1 I had to go into the touchpad settings and re-enable Tap to Click.
I was looking for something like that, but I haven't found it.

Can you tell me where it is and how you enable it when you can't tap to do so?

I was looking for something like that, but I haven't found it.

Can you tell me where it is and how you enable it when you can't tap to do so?
Hit the Super key, type in "touchpad", click on "Mouse and Touchpad", click the Touchpad tab then toggle Tap to Click. - You should be able to hard press the touchpad to click the options.

TAP.png

Try tab, shift, and enter buttons.

Or, just temporarily connect an external mouse (assuming you have one).

I'm at "Mouse and Touchpad" but I'm on the Mouse panel. How can I use the keys to switch to the Touchpad panel? Been trying but haven't found the right combo yet.
You should be able to physically click with your touchpad. Instead of tapping to the touchpad, PRESS to click.

You should be able to physically click with your touchpad. Instead of tapping to the touchpad, PRESS to click.
Sadly, the "left click" portion of my touchpad barely works, but I just tried it again and with some force in just the right place, I got the panel activated and the option turned on. Whew!

All good now. Thanks for your help and patience, everyone.

Members online

Latest posts