Rock Roxx

Everybody on this thread should know about "cover" songs. Sometimes they are good, and sometimes they SUK!

This is one I like.

Everybody on this thread should know about "cover" songs.

There's another cover up above, "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me." That's actually a Warren Zevon song. I think it may have been off the Excitable Boy album, which was a solid piece of work. The lady in the static picture isn't the only one to have covered the song, though I've forgotten who else has done so.

I don't listen to any of the music shared in the thread. So, I have no idea if the cover is any good. Zevon is one of my favorites and I miss his contributions to music. As a person, he was an interesting character. I had the chance to bump into him a few times and always enjoyed his off-stage persona.

@KGIII Warren was actually good friends with Stephen King.

Horror legend Stephen King’s new novel Dr. Sleep, a sequel to the hit book and film The Shining, begins with a hat tip to the late singer-songwriter Warren Zevon.

King, fans will remember, played with a pick-up garage band of writers called the Rock Bottom Remainders, featuring King, Dave Barry, Mitch Albom, Amy Tan, Scott Turow, Roy Blount, Jr. and others between 1992-2012. Actual musicians would occasionally get in on the fun, including Al Kooper and, yes, Zevon.

It was during one of those gigs, in which King was “playing my primitive brand of rhythm guitar,” that the writer got a chance to take over the mic on one of Zevon’s best-known songs — and received some sage rock ‘n’ roll advance. “He insisted I sing lead on his signture tune, ‘Werewolves of London,'” King writes in the introductory dedication of Dr. Sleep. “I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. ‘Key of G,’ Warren told me, ‘and howl like you mean it. Most important of all, play like Keith.’

Keith, meaning Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. You can imagine King’s bemused look in return, as he gazed back at Zevon.

“I’ll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best — and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always had a blast. Warren, this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.”

LOL I've run into King at a few events, as well.

I live in Maine. People often ask me if I know him. Which just seems a bit silly, 'cause it's a huge state with not many people but some distance between us. Though, oddly, I have bumped into him a few times - I would not say that I know him. It's not like I have his number, have been to his house, and he's unlikely to remember my name.

Glad to see you found us here, @Worralorrasurfa :)

Talking about Kate Bush earlier - this song hit the charts in 1986 and in her homeland of the UK went on to achieve 4-times-platinum sales. I loved the film clip. Enjoy Babooshka.

Friday here in Oz, so avagudweegend all.

Wiz

One of my all-time favourite folk/rock groups,
for all you Antipodeans

@wizardfromoz Your Kate Bush posts got my brain-train clickitty-clacking on the tracks of long ago.

Back in'85 I was living in Germany, listening to Radio Luxembourg when Hounds of Love came out. From that album, the two songs that have stuck with me over all those years are "Running Up That Hill" and "Cloudbusting".

Good times back then...good memories.

@Worralorrasurfa
If you have been going back through this thread, no doubt you will have gathered, I have a very eclectic taste in music,
Kate still lives in the same village, not many miles from our last home, and "Running up that hill" is no 1 this week in the UK, again! After being featured in a recent film.

Just to add Kate keeps her life quite and is not often seen unless working, this is the last picture I remember seeing of her in 2014

damn won't let me post it, will need to convert the format, will post it later

kate.jpg

And here is another of my favourite themes to a TV show .

Members online

Latest posts