newest kid on the block

@hacodo75 @captain-sensible

Eureka!!! I have found it!!! Stop the presses!!!

Harald,

There is nothing wrong with your flash disk or unetbootin you are using. When I used unetbootin to put Linux Mint on the disk, it re-acted the same as yours - unetbootin paused at extraction of file # 262. What I did was walk away from it and let it run for about a half hour. When I looked at it again, it had finished and was ready to use.
Here are a couple of screenshots, the first one shows just like yours did:

This is the one that 'paused' at file #262.
Unet-1.png

So after walking away from it for about 30 minutes, I came back and saw this:
Unet-2.png

My conclusion is that unetbootin is set up to do exactly what it did - 'pause' at file #262. Why it does that I don't have a clue.

So now we will be able to get by this hurdle and move on.

They say that 'Patience is a virtue'; I think that dealing with computers it is a 'necessity'!!!

Onward and upward Harald. There is light at the end of the tunnel - I can see it in the distance.
I think it's safe to say that for all our problems - we can blame Bill Gates and his money making machine called Microsoft.

OGTC
See you tomorrow.
Oh yes, one more thing, by your own admission you are impatient. Not to get down on you; I am known for being impatient around those who know me best.

regrets i cannot type much with broken shoulder

yes - it hangs, sometimes a percentage point is referred to - eg 51% and/or 84%. the 84% one can be a long one. it always completes, just go and make a cuppa tea. :D

good luck and keep the faith

wizard

Thanks to all you guys, its hanging now for one hour @ 38%, we'll see whether it will move on.

Well I am not getting anywhere with this. I have tried two starts since lunch, The first one stopped at 2 % and the second at 4%. Rufus is instead?

it does a similar job to unetbootin but it won't download the iso; you do that and via a similar GUI tell it where it is. I don't know whether @70TangoCharlie wants to give it a try ;i did see him on line not sure but it looked like he was busy with a "mini me" .

I wait to see what he says/

I'm Back!!!

Sorry to hear that it did not work out for you Harald.
I am not opposed to using Rufus, as I have used both in the past.
Give me a little time to download it and try it again, then I might know what I am writing about. LOL.
I was a little surprised to see that unetbootin took so long to work. I think it was about 2 hours to download the files.

I'll get back to you when I have some more to report.

In the mean time, maybe you could give Rufus a try and see what you can come up with.

It's my understanding that you will have to download Linux Mint 19.2 yourself before you can get Rufus to use it. If you have not done that, go to this site and scroll down to a United Kingdom mirror to download Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

OGTC

hi Charlie, Yes it is very vrustrating to me. I really want to get on with Linux, but so far I have had nothing but frustration. I get very excited Ah!! i'm getting somewhere, But then the hammer comes down and destroys it all.
Can we please make sure we get somewhere soon, otherwise I feel like giving up on all of this.
I really don't want to. But whats the point running around in circles ;like a donkey with a millstone around his neck, you drown eventually.
Tjerefore can we get something concrete going please. I'm looking of taking WIN out of mycomputer, but I do need to have an alternative to fall back onto, just in case.
Your've all been such a help, can I ask for some suggestions, serious ones that will work. Yours H

Harald,
Frustration is something we all have experienced, especially when embarking on something new and exciting.
Please do not get too much down on yourself, as I can see the progress you are making; believe me you are making progress.
I went out today and bought an HP laptop with Win 10 on it. {My other Win 10 is a couple years old}.
I'm working on it right now to see if I can get Rufus or Unetbootin to work properly.
I'll keep you posted with the progress.
I can see already why you are frustrated with Win 10; it's a bitch to get anything done on it.
However, the light is on at the end of the tunnel and the enjoyment of using Linux will bring nothing but joy to your heart! :):):)
OGTC

Harald,

Believe me when I tell you that you will experience such relief when you finally have Linux installed, I'm positive that you will look back and see what a huge difference there is between the two systems.
Hang in there bud. You will be so happy you did.

One thing about me is this: if anyone tells me I can't do this or that, watch out because I will prove them wrong!!!

I can not believe the difference that Linux makes to the average user.

Old Geezer
TC

@hacodo75
Update.

Unetbootin paused at 51% for about 20 minutes, but it is back downloading the files again - up to 60% and moving.
OGTC

I tell you what I experienced today. I started unetbootin at 8 am, it stopped at 8.30 at 52%. by 9.30 it had not moved and switched off.
Started again at 1 pm, stopped at 2% less 10 min later, Started again 2.15 pm Stopped at 6 % gave up Could the unetbootin be corrupted in the download? I mean inmy computer corrupted. Or could the flash drive be wanky? Its a San Disk

I suppose any of the things you mentioned is possible. Not very likely it is probable though.
You can test your San Disk by just putting a small file on it and see if it gets it right. If the file transfers OK to the San Disk then the disk is good.

The San Disk seems ok I transferred a file of one the screenshots I did and it opened up and looked fine. So that's ok. h

Harald,

Here's a screenshot I just took of the unetbootin final product.

Unetboot.png

Looks like it went through OK. It did pause a couple of times along the way.
Next step is that I will try to install it on my little Nextbook Win 10.

I will also try to do the same thing with Rufus. It appears to be more complicated than Unetbootin.

I'll "talk" to you again tomorrow.

OG TC
The San Disk seems ok I transferred a file of one the screenshots I did and it opened up and looked fine. So that's ok. h

Then perhaps the next thing for you to do is to delete Unetbootin from your computer. Then go online and download the program again, and install it on your computer.
OGTC

Members online

Latest posts