newest kid on the block

I had an early night, hence I am awake now [02.00 am] . Its fine when it runs thrugh, mine just never has done, I was going to ask the same question that your statement answered reload it again. ill do that in the morning, or start it now. Thanks H

simplest solution may be etcher

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

1. download your .iso as charlie has described, from mint's site

2. download the etcher file called

Etcher for Windows (x86|x64) (Installer). the file is a setup.exe

3. navigate to where the 2 files are placed and double-click the etcher one

4. once etcher is installed, you are about 3 clicks away from having a bootable usb

wiz

to all,
I know have been quite again, but have been learning about resizing partitions and resetting boot sequences. So not all is lost. I guess I will be ready this weekend with down loading Linux mint to my 32 Gig stick. But for that I need a bit more help. Thanks to all your help its been an frightening and amazing experience for an 76 yr old codger. Hacodo75
Mate, Make sure that you write it as an ISO Image, instead of just writing it to the usb stick. If it is not done correctly, it will not run. Never mind how I figured that out:)!

yes agree @VP9KS
I guess I will be ready this weekend with down loading Linux mint to my 32 Gig stick
@Hacodo you need to understand this concept.

You will download an iso of a distro you want , to somewhere convenient eg Desktop; you will download a tool such as rufus or etcher to somewhere convenient such as your Desktop.

You invoke/run the tool and IT IS the Tool that will put the iso in the correct way onto the USB for you. You do not directly put an iso ont oa usb stick

for getting rid of dropbox/one drive type this command into the search text box at bottom left.

appwiz.cpl

you should see a list of programs

I have already got rid of dropbox but no one drive, i'll do that now. thanks
ok the reason i have introduced a concept in #204 is that it gives something simple to hold onto & focus on ,then there is also an objective. i will be going out soon so by the time i get back probably @70 Tango Charlie tango might have picked up the ball ;^)

@hacodo75
Good morning Harald {afternoon where you are}

Have some good news. I have been working on my new win 10 HP laptop trying to download Etcher, Unetbootin and Rufus.

While waiting for those to download, I started getting the cp ready to install Linux Mint on it. Turns out that I succeeded in changing the boot order on the cp, so it recognizes my USB.
Never fear my friend, I'll get back to you as soon as I have more news on the Etcher, Unet and Rufus front.

See you soon.
OGTC
Keep your daubers up!

@hacodo75 @captain-sensible @wizardfromoz

Harald,

We are gaining on it my friend. It appears that Wiz was right again {darn him!} LOL.

Follow his instructions as per his post in #202

simplest solution may be etcher

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

1. download your .iso as charlie has described, from mint's site

2. download the etcher file called

Etcher for Windows (x86|x64) (Installer). the file is a setup.exe

3. navigate to where the 2 files are placed and double-click the etcher one

4. once etcher is installed, you are about 3 clicks away from having a bootable usb

wiz

I am using it right now on my new laptop, and it is almost finished making the bootable usb. Took about 5 minutes from start to finish. It is now ready to install linux on my Win 10 laptop.

Please follow Wizs' instructions and download Etcher so we can make real progress.
Man, am I getting excited now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know your progress as you have time.

OGTC

@hacodo75

Harald,

Etcher is the answer. I'm installing Linux Mint 19.3 on my new laptop as I write this.
When it finishes installing, I will then write out the exact steps that I took to get Linux to dual boot with Windows 10.

Thanks for putting some excitement back in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!

OGTC

I've downloaded etcher, now it askes for "Select Image", it wants to connect to another file

That is correct. Now the other file is the Linux Mint you downloaded and saved. Connect to that one.

@hacodo75 @wizardfromoz @captain-sensible

Harald,

Great news. I have just finished installing Linux Mint 19.3 alongside Windows 10 on my new laptop.

I will go to work on writing step by step instructions on how to do the whole thing. It will probably take me a few days to complete it; but you will be the first one to receive it.

Right now, I am mentally fatigued and can't think real straight right now. Been at it for 4 hours straight. But, it's worth it.

Cheers - and beers !
Hang in there brother, we are almost to the finish line. Yay.

OG TC

You mean the unet bootin?I have never completed the download, it always finished up hanging on some %. I did download it again but the second one also did not complete. So I'm still on square one.

have a nice rest for the afternoon ahead, and lets get it done tomorrow, although I have workmen in my house, relpairing my bathroom, the shower actually.

No, not Unetbootin. You need to download Linux Mint 19.3 and save it in your downloads folder.

You can download it here: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=274

When you get to that page, scroll down to a UK mirror to download from.

After so many attempts I have made a shot of file explorer. I tried to copy Linux 19.3 Cinnamon to the documents folder but can't because it is an open file. Have tried to close it with several ways but am unable to do so.
As you notice, it shows in the left hand column as DVD Drive [F:] Linux Mint …… and it seems to be open. Can't get rid of that DVD Drive off my F: position either.
I wanted to get the two files in the same directory.

@hacodo75

Morning Harald,

I don't see any problem.

Linux Mint 19.3 is in your Downloads folder, that's where it should be. {Forget about the left side of your screenshot for now.}

Next step is to open Etcher. When it asks for the source file, go to the download folders and click on Linux Mint 19.3. Etcher will then put LM 19.3 on your flash drive.

OGTC

Members online