Need a version of linux that will run a HP scanner

TotallyPuzzled

Reaction score
Credits
I'm presently using windoz 7x64. I have an HP Scanjet 4370 with the install disc. This scanner will let you scan 35mm negatives. Is there a version of linux that will allow me to use this scanner ? It will work with windows XP but I didn't want to waste time with that. I do have a copy of Zorin 16 core live 64 bit and a couple of years ago I was playing around with something called linux lite on a dying desktop. I may not understand all of the replies I get cause I'm a senior and I only started (seriously) using windows in 2000. That was crazy. 20 minutes to send an MP3 on dial up
:confused:

You can always set up a win 7 virtual box then using your W7 driver disc run the scanner from inside the VB

G'day TotallyPuzzled, Welcome to linux.org

We need to know the specs of your PC

ram, cpu, make and model if possible

Just as an example in Linux Mint there is a Software Manager. This software manager is also present in many other 'distros'

A pic below....showing the search result for 'HP'

1647981047557.png

HP equipment is fairly well supported in Linux as a rule.

Or @Brickwizard's suggestion can also work for you.

Choices, Choices....

I'm presently using windoz 7x64. I have an HP Scanjet 4370 with the install disc. This scanner will let you scan 35mm negatives. Is there a version of linux that will allow me to use this scanner ? It will work with windows XP but I didn't want to waste time with that. I do have a copy of Zorin 16 core live 64 bit and a couple of years ago I was playing around with something called linux lite on a dying desktop. I may not understand all of the replies I get cause I'm a senior and I only started (seriously) using windows in 2000. That was crazy. 20 minutes to send an MP3 on dial up
:confused:
Ubuntu runs ok with the scanner i guess after you install sane with the correct backend for HP Scanjet 4370 and "Simple Scan" should scan perfectly with it,

I had a heck of a time setting up my Epson scanner in Linux. Finally, I gave Fedora a shot and setup was easy! I had tried MX-Linux, L Mint, Elementary, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.... A

I have Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 installed and my HP Envy printer and scanner works well.
In order for HP Printer and Scanner to work I had to install HPLIP.

Yeah, my experience has been that HPLIP works with only a little command line usage, there's probably something that you can just click on now adays. My point of irritation though is that HP printers don't always seem to be that great and printer ink is always expensive. I'm using a brother printer currently.

Using a windows 7 now adays is pretty rough because they stopped updating it a long time ago...they're saying you can get windows 11 for free but that's not true since they require UEFI boot to update from windows 10 and i tried that...whelp, i'm gonna try really hard not get that software...windows will always be a complete dissapointment, i'll buy the full flash drive if i absolutely must.

To totally puzzled: i'm sure your local office supply place has some sort of scanning service, that may be your cheapest or least troubling route, sorry that i couldn't be of more help...

This scanner will let you scan 35mm negatives.

To add to the above...

There are companies that specialize in this. You just send 'em your negatives and they have specialized scanners to convert them into digital format - at reasonably high quality.

The price is drastically lower than it once was (the last time I looked). In the early/mid 2000s, I had a ton of 'em done for family and the cost was outlandish - but not as pricey as I valued my time. So, I had it professionally done. The results, even back then, were spectacular. (They are reviewed/sampled by real humans. It's not 100% automated, as quality control is in the loop.)

printer ink is always expensive

they are if you have the usual replacement cartridges with the metal contact ; i invested in a HP Smart Tank wireless 455- it has 4 ink reservoirs at the side. I've printed hundreds of documents and ink levels have barely moved. On the box the marketing guys suggest i will not have to get replacement ink for 2 year ! Printer cost over 200 quid but it was worth it

they are if you have the usual replacement cartridges
I have two HP printers, I buy a new cartage at the exorbitant rate they charge then re-fill it 6 or 7 times myself, [a triple colour pack each holding 100ml, enough for about 20 refills of a tricolour cartage cost me around £9]

I've never had any Linux Distro that would not run HPlip-gui and not work with the scanner.
I'm lazy and pay a bit more for refilled cartilages.

There are suggestions that there are no drivers for the HP Scanjet 4370 and that you should try the driver for the Scanjet 3900. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=140243

I have an Epson photo scanner. Under Windows, I can put in a strip of 35mm and it will automagically scan each photo separately. I can still use it with Linux but the controls are more basic, and I can only scan one photo at a time.

I've never had any Linux Distro that would not run HPlip-gui and not work with the scanner.
I'm lazy and pay a bit more for refilled cartilages.
Ditto-

Members online