Solved linux.org forum mails seems to be delivered with a delay

Solved issue
I truly do not understand why that fixed it.....but I am seriously thankful that it did !!

THank you, @Rob

I truly do not understand why that fixed it.....but I am seriously thankful that it did !!

THank you, @Rob
Great!

I think the issue was that you'd receive emails about replies to threads you started, but not the ones you interacted with because of that unchecked box. Either way, hopefully it stays fixed lol.

@Rob I marked the topic as solved! Thank you for fixing it!

Either way, hopefully it stays fixed lol.
Amen to that. Frustration was in the air.

I will ponder just how I managed to uncheck that box....if in fact I did?....dunno!......and for those others having trouble, what has fixed mine is obviously not a problem for them?

Weirdness prevails

For @Rob

1708630061865.png

• Haha
Reactions: Rob
Amen to that. Frustration was in the air.

I will ponder just how I managed to uncheck that box....if in fact I did?....dunno!......and for those others having trouble, what has fixed mine is obviously not a problem for them?

Weirdness prevails
Right, there was a site-wide issue where the 'cron' job that fired off emails was getting queued way up causing a delay. That should be fixed as well.

omg....imagine what a mess he could make if he got a skinful of that !!!!
b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

• Haha
Perhaps you changed the setting while trying to diagnose things?
I do remember looking at my preferences......but I have no memory of changing anything. However, the fact remains that the setting was not ticked....so either it changed itself or I did.
The money would have to be on me. Settings don't miraculously change themselves.

But.....prior to the situation becoming apparent that I/we were not receiving emails, I had not visited my preferences page.

When things are working, I generally leave them alone.

As i said...weirdness prevails.

All good ...Onwards & Upwards !

Last edited:
but I have no memory of changing anything.

When that happens to me, I just blame wine.

It's not my fault that (some) wine is delicious!

Wine works fine for me, I have problems with the Canadian club

I'm not a fan of the sweet white wines.

If I'm somewhere that there's no choice, I might have a glass or two.

Also, part of my comment was in jest. I seldom drink to excess. Well, to the point of forgetting. I like to still be in control of my actions because I'm still accountable for my actions.

"Tipsy" is a good description of where I usually end up.

That said, I suppose we're wildly off-topic at this point. The problem was resolved, so there's that.

Back mostly-on-topic...

I do not use email notifications, though a few threads predate that. I once did and now I do not. I didn't want that volume of additional mail - plus I almost always have a tab open for this site. (I also don't use the push notifications.) I did but then I became a mod. I don't want that volume of email cluttering things up. Plus, when I close the tab for the night, I don't want to think about it.

I should probably 'unwatch' those threads that predate me turning off email notifications. There aren't many and they're just silly threads that are long-running in nature.

With further testing today, I have noticed that I am not receiving emails on a consistent basis.

A topic was opened in the Hardware section around 5.30pm. (https://www.linux.org/threads/hardware-drivers-in-linux-world.48784/)

The first I knew of it was when I opened a browser at approx 7.45pm....and noticed it in the latest posts.

I do follow/watch that section/forum, so I should have received an email

I will check my Preferences again....maybe I missed something else !

I note that under Alerts....the new topic is shown there as having been started at 5.24pm

Last edited:
I get the same response for stuff I am already following (mostly....there are a few exceptions, but I have not documented them....yet)
But.....a forum (in this case Hardware) should send an alert (email) and a 'push' (notification) when a new topic is opened/launched.

eg
The reply from @Brickwizard arrived in record time....less than a minute...damn near instantaneous

1708683137198.png

time now....21:13...minus 20 = 20:52

This morning, I am showing two emails in my inbox.....one froma topic already followed and commented on and the other a conversation

In notifications, i received the below...there were two notifications for @dos2unix's topic....I am still half asleep and missed it in the screenshot!)

2024-02-24_08-01.png

No idea why I get two notifications for the one topic....

But....no emails for either of the new threads

At the time the notifications came in, I had a page open at the conversation post

Last edited:
@Condobloke I think it's just a matter of whether you're 'watching w/ email notifications' or not on some of them. You may have replied in some that you didn't start while that one box wasn't checked?

For any that you aren't getting email notifications for, at the top, just make sure you're watching w/ email notifcations :)

Members online