Solved linux.org forum mails seems to be delivered with a delay

Solved issue
I noticed that a cloudflare helper add-on seemed to be generating quite a bit of noise .. i've disabled that and have also updated xenforo (the forum software) to it's latest update as we like to do.

Let's give that a minute and see what's what..
Good to see you around again @Rob! I just checked my mail and it seems three minutes after your reply, I got a notification email about it. Will have to see if that is for everyone and all the notifications mails because they were having a delay in being sent from the forum software to the mailer, that was a delay of anywhere between an hour and several hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

@f33dm3bits
notification of your post hit me in under 2 mins. Long may it continue..

Good to see you around again @Rob! I just checked my mail and it seems three minutes after your reply, I got a notification email about it. Will have to see if that is for everyone and all the notifications mails because they were having a delay in being sent from the forum software to the mailer, that was delay of anywhere between an hour and several hours.
And I just received an email regarding your reply :)

Hope that add-on issue was what was causing it. It was an add-on that helps us to manage the cloudflare connections directly from the backend instead of on their site.

@f33dm3bits
notification of your post hit me in under 2 mins. Long may it continue..
I've gotten your notification email.

And I just received an email regarding your reply :)
That sounds a lot better and seems like it's back to normal then if it's within 2-3 minutes of a reply. I haven't gotten the email of your most recent reply yet, but am expecting it soon then.

Hope that add-on issue was what was causing it. It was an add-on that helps us to manage the cloudflare connections directly from the backend instead of on their site.
How could an add-on cause the forum software to send delayed notifications mail, was it security feature or setting of the add-on? Is there a way to test it and to find out if it was really that or if it was a recent forum software update?

Thanks for fixing it @Rob! Good to see you around again and hope all is well, but we hope to see you around more often :)

That sounds a lot better and seems like it's back to normal then if it's within 2-3 minutes of a reply. I haven't gotten the email of your most recent reply yet, but am expecting it soon then.
But let's see how it is for the others that were noticing the same.

How could an add-on cause the forum software to send delayed notifications mail, was it security feature or setting of the add-on? Is there a way to test it and to find out if it was really that or if it was a recent forum software update?
It appeared to be spamming cloudflare with its checks (which are also individual 'cron' jobs) which was (imo) building a queue and delaying other jobs (like checking if new reply emails should be sent out) quite a while.

Once I killed it, the 'cron' jobs in the software were able to run normally.

It appeared to be spamming cloudflare with its checks (which are also individual 'cron' jobs) which was (imo) building a queue and delaying other jobs (like checking if new reply emails should be sent out) quite a while.
I was able to get from mail headers that I received and of @Condobloke that it was at the end of the forum software the mails were being delayed, but couldn't do more then that.

Once I killed it, the 'cron' jobs in the software were able to run normally.
Great! It's nice seeing my notifications mails arrive on time again. The notification email for this reply arrived shortly after your reply. So for me problem seems fixed and my notifications are arriving back as before the problem was noticed.

So for me problem seems fixed and my notifications are arriving back as before the problem was noticed.
I'll keep an eye on it for the next several days or so.

The time in Australia is 04:18am.

I have not received notifications of either @f33dm3bits inputs to this topic, or @Rob's input either.

@Rob ....hopefully this time gather will give a clue at your end ??
I did receive notification of a pm around 9:40 AM CST... 15:40 UTC.......that was on time....perfect in fact....but nothing since then, and nothing before that time

@Rob, thanks for the intervention, I will keep a close eye throughout my day, to see if it comes good.

Early indications are not promising.

Last edited:
and yet....the three replies above this....one from Brick and the other two from F33 ....have not landed in my inbox.

A post made from Texas USA, at

12:35 pm CST (UTC-6)​

Austin, Texas, United States • Thursday, 22 February 2024
....https://www.linux.org/threads/splintered-thread-from___drive-failure-imminent_-last-option.48708/post-220470

Has still not generated an email 15 minutes later

emails are landing here from other forums etc

Sorry @Rob...good effort, but no cigar.

Latest posts