Lexar NM790 NVME fails to initialize

A quick Google search reveals.......

The NM790 is a PCIe 4x4 drive manufactured on an M. 2 Type-2280 (80mm long) "gumstick" printed circuit board. It employs the NVMe 1.4 protocol over the PCIe 4.0 bus. The drive combines 232-layer TLC NAND flash with a controller from Maxio Techology, a Chinese company that designs inexpensive controllers for SSDs.

Sounds like there is some sort of technology on that Lexar that prevents Linux from being recognized for Grub to do it's job.
Any error messages?

Just the same error as @curtpm:
Code:
nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting initialisation, CSTS=0x0

A quick Google search reveals.......

The NM790 is a PCIe 4x4 drive manufactured on an M. 2 Type-2280 (80mm long) "gumstick" printed circuit board. It employs the NVMe 1.4 protocol over the PCIe 4.0 bus. The drive combines 232-layer TLC NAND flash with a controller from Maxio Techology, a Chinese company that designs inexpensive controllers for SSDs.
Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand what you're getting at. The NVMe 1.4 is not new and has been around since 2019. Most modern boards support PCIe 4.0, mine supports it too. In addition, as far I know it is backward compatible. As already mentioned, there are no problems on Windows.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand what you're getting at. The NVMe 1.4 is not new and has been around since 2019. Most modern boards support PCIe 4.0, mine supports it too. In addition, as far I know it is backward compatible. As already mentioned, there are no problems on Windows.
Where ever we find windows we'll find gates.

It seems like this thread is a similar or the same issue:

specifically the part about
Code:
nvme_wait_ready
Unfortunately that's not true. The issue is present on 6.1 as well. I have tried the most recent 6.5rc7 and latest 6.1.46 stable kernel.
Update: I forgot that I need to select the kernel manually when booting if the version is older. So far I always booted successfully with 6.1 kernel as well.

I currently can make my system boot by resetting it when the issue happens (unplug my x13 from power and hold the power down for 10-20s until the keyboard lights up). Then there is a high chance the next boot will be successful. The nvme for me is always detected in uefi and in grub (as I obviously boot from it) and only fails when booting ubuntu from it. Windows never had this issue.

I'm currently building a kernel patch that seems to double the timeout for device initialization but the build is still running so I haven't tested it.

Last edited:
Just found out that the Lexar NM790 was made this year.
Reading about it online-
yep its a bit early to expect the boys and girls who update that part of the kernel drivers to have back engineers something

As someone who has not yet followed kernel development closely:

How long should I expect to wait till a patch for this finds its way into the kernel?
And can I expect to find it in 6.5.x in Ubuntu 23.10 or should I use a newer kernel/compile one myself if I want to use the NM790 as system disk sometime in the next few weeks?

Two patches are submitted here:
(With the second one looking best to my very novice eyes)

and a third one is applied already in linux-next.

As someone who has not yet followed kernel development closely:

How long should I expect to wait till a patch for this finds its way into the kernel?
And can I expect to find it in 6.5.x in Ubuntu 23.10 or should I use a newer kernel/compile one myself if I want to use the NM790 as system disk sometime in the next few weeks?

Two patches are submitted here:
(With the second one looking best to my very novice eyes)

and a third one is applied already in linux-next.
Not sure which directory you would look in to find out if the Lexar is supported in the kernel, sorry.

Maybe @KGIII will know:-

Maybe @KGIII will know:-

Alas, no... I haven't used a printer in a long time. I've managed to eradicate that scourge from my life.

If someone needs something in print bad enough, they'll send it to me.

I do have a dedicated scanner, however. It's not currently attached to anything, but I do own one.

Alas, no... I haven't used a printer in a long time. I've managed to eradicate that scourge from my life.

If someone needs something in print bad enough, they'll send it to me.

I do have a dedicated scanner, however. It's not currently attached to anything, but I do own one.
Ditto-
I refuse to throw any more monies to any of the manufacters that profit from the frequent purchase of ink cartridges.

BTW, OP (I don't think) still has support for his Lexar SSD / Nvme.
Is there a way to tell if there are drivers for that Lexar in the kernel w/o actually installing the 6.5 kernel?
Change logs maybe?

Ditto-
I refuse to throw any more monies to any of the manufacters that profit from the frequent purchase of ink cartridges.

BTW, OP (I don't think) still has support for his Lexar SSD / Nvme.
Is there a way to tell if there are drivers for that Lexar in the kernel w/o actually installing the 6.5 kernel?
Change logs maybe?

You're right, I'm a moron. LOL

I mentioned earlier that I'm busy today. So, I'm in and out. I saw Lexar and assumed printer. In my head, I read "Lexmark" or whatever that printer company is.

My bad.

I still have no idea, but now we've confirmed that I'm a moron! ;)

I may have time to do a deep-dive later, but I still have guests.

@KGill

Lexar NVME, not Lexmark printer?

(Yeah, I'm a moron. LOL I am in and out today and have company, so I somehow inserted 'Lexmark' in my head. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll have free time in a couple of hours - probably.)

You're right, I'm a moron. LOL

I mentioned earlier that I'm busy today. So, I'm in and out. I saw Lexar and assumed printer. In my head, I read "Lexmark" or whatever that printer company is.

My bad.

I still have no idea, but now we've confirmed that I'm a moron! ;)

I may have time to do a deep-dive later, but I still have guests.
Your not a moron friend you just had multiple fires going on at once.