Lexar NM790 NVME fails to initialize

curtpm

Reaction score
Credits
I am having an issue with a new Lexar NM790 NVME drive, I see the following error in dmesg:
Code:
[    3.280583] nvme nvme1: pci function 0000:01:00.0
[    3.285018] nvme nvme1: Device not ready; aborting initialisation, CSTS=0x0

lspci -nn:
Code:
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Shenzhen Longsys Electronics Co., Ltd. Device [1d97:1602] (rev 01)

and hwinfo:
Code:
*-nvme UNCLAIMED
                description: Non-Volatile memory controller
                product: Shenzhen Longsys Electronics Co., Ltd.
                vendor: Shenzhen Longsys Electronics Co., Ltd.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: 01
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: nvme pm msi pciexpress msix nvm_express cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
                resources: memory:da300000-da303fff

if I pass the PCI device into a Windows VM, everything is working fine from inside the VM. so I'm pretty sure the drive itself is good / working.
I can't seem to find much if any info about the CSTS=0x0 error code or even a workaround.

if anyone can offer some help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums
Sorry I cannot tell you much as this is a new product, what I can tell you is it is timing out before initiation, Why I don't know, and on a search of some of my technical forums, I have not found a cause/cure.
The only things I can think of at the moment

if you haven't already done so, Try disabling windows fast-boot [quick-start] and secure boot, then do a power re-start of the computer

also [if its a laptop] then you could try a purge of the motherboard. [save any work, disconnect all cables including power, then press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, then re-start.]

I may well be talking out of hat here....but......if all else fails, try accessing it in GParted and creating a partition table

If it works in MSWindows, but not in Linux, it is usually a driver issue, there may not be the necessary code in the kernel/kernel module, especially if this is really new tech. (Might take a few months for code to be written).

An option may be to install the very latest kernel.....

I'm using:
Linux fedora 6.4.7-200.fc38.x86_64

I noticed in the NVME driver source code there are workarounds for similar older lexar models:

I tried adding an entry for NM790 with similar workarounds, but it didn't seem to help.

FYI because it fails to initialize it also doesn't show up in lsblk

Did you already find a solution or working workaround? I am facing the same issue with the NM790.

Last edited:
I am facing the exact same issue
LM790 on Kubuntu 23.04 in a Thinkpad X13 Gen1 AMD.
Grub and Windows work fine. It's when the device is reinitialized during Linux boot.

I tried kernel "Linux x13 6.4.11-060411-generic #202308161732 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Aug 16 17:41:09 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" from the ubuntu ppa but it does not solve the issue yet.

Looks like some people are working on something related to timing:

From the link it seems like there is a solution implemented starting from 6.5rc2.
We have a generic solution for such devices as of 6.5-rc2 so it should
work now; however, it's still recommended to get devices with this
behavior in the quirk list in order to ensure that the we get udev to
generate deterministic symlinks. Since this controller is used by
multiple vendors, though, it's unclear if this quirk applies to all
variations.

Last edited:
After testing different kernel versions (6.1.46 Longterm) and 6.5.0rc7 I can say that neither of these kernels fixes the issue.
The thread I posted previously has another patch that I'd have to compile myself.

I may well be talking out of hat here....but......if all else fails, try accessing it in GParted and creating a partition table
Agreed.
G-parted Live has saved my Linux boxes a few times.

No solution yet, I also reached out to lexar support, but they are not very helpful so far.
Some distro's (I found out the hard way) won't install on newer nvme's.

Slackware stable will not install on a nvme. Only Slackware current will install on a nvme.

Has it been more than 2 weeks since you purchased the lexar nvme?

The drive works fine under Windows .
It seems to be a Linux driver issue.

I was hoping Lexar had a firmware update for the drive, but they said no update is available at this time.

Some distro's (I found out the hard way) won't install on newer nvme's.

Slackware stable will not install on a nvme. Only Slackware current will install on a nvme.

Has it been more than 2 weeks since you purchased the lexar nvme?

Used Ubuntu 22.04 and I was only able to access the drive during the installation but not afterwards. An already installed Ubuntu 22.04 from an external drive I use for work is also not able to initialize the Lexar NM790. But as @curtpm wrote it works fine with windows.

The drive works fine under Windows .
It seems to be a Linux driver issue.

I was hoping Lexar had a firmware update for the drive, but they said no update is available at this time.
If we knew enough the driver could be built in C++.
Sorry I'm not a dev and not sure how to build a driver yet- Still learning:-

Used Ubuntu 22.04 and I was only able to access the drive during the installation but not afterwards. An already installed Ubuntu 22.04 from an external drive I use for work is also not able to initialize the Lexar NM790. But as @curtpm wrote it works fine with windows.
Sounds like there is some sort of technology on that Lexar that prevents Linux from being recognized for Grub to do it's job.
Any error messages?

Just found out that the Lexar NM790 was made this year.
Reading about it online-

Last edited:

Members online