Installing Games on Linux

I'm not saying that NVIDIA is perfect; I'm just saying it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Also, who wants to buy NVIDIA with what there have been doing the last year and will be doing the next couple of years but when it comes to gaming, NVIDIA is not that bad and has nothing to do with JUST BECAUSE I use it. I have tested about 5 NVIDIA GPUs over the past years because that's all I own. They have no problem playing games, and it's been years, about 2019, since I really had a Driver problem with NVIDIA. When it came to games, I think it was in one of the Far cry games that didn't support a Driver version. Still, i have not seen it since then, not with all the support and update that keep coming to proton and Linux. Also, I will not say Do or don't buy NVIDIA because that is more of a stereotypical thing to say. All I can do is to put out my XP with NVIDIA GPU, and they have been great for me, and if you want proof, you are welcome to check out my 1,559 Videos on YouTube with game-plays. As I said, you may think they are Bad! I just disagree with you on that front.
PS. Ubuntu SUCKS if you ask me. (Ubuntu is overrated and is no longer user-friendly, and hard to get stuff to work and easy to kill distributions you can find), and yes, that's my opinion of Ubuntu. I would rather use RedHat, which I never used, than Ubuntu. And it kills me a little inside every time people mention that distribution as if that distribution is the best you can find.

Yeah, I fully agree that in the last two years, they got good, but it also has to do with Linux has become a more Gaming focus distribution, and so many are leaving Windows or at least trying out Linux the last years or so, and now more than ever.
Yeah i don't know much about NVIDIA overrall, however i didn't wish to insinuate that NVIDIA is "bad", even though point taken you're just responding to a mildly hostile post, much more incendiary than practically everything else i post on here.

You didn't say any of what i exaggerated either ;-)

What i said, to paraphrase, is that i wouldn't recommend NVIDIA if someone said "i want to be a linux gamer". I wouldn't be like "Dude! I hate NVIDIA, they are a terrible semi-conductor company and they are microsoft cucks who are trying to destroy the little penguin!", i'd be like "gaming is a lot better on linux than it was 5 years ago, yet it's not that great for the top-of-the-line games. It's still worth it because you don't have to pay for it and there are tons of free video games anyways".

And as far as Ubuntu is concerned, so you hate it? To a certain extent, so do I, yet it's my favorite one so far. And no Ubuntu isn't necessarily the most recommended linux distro, basically everyone here recommends mint. Ubuntu seems to be the default "beginner friendly" OS because of their support from canonical, and the fact that it was created for that purpose even it probably failed pretty badly in some respects. I like the search bar in ubuntu a lot better than the windows-style mint search bar. I should probably be accessing whether i should keep using ubuntu, yet i don't really need to.

This guide is pretty nifty, but what about if you have an already installed game in your folder? I tried using Lutris once, but once I ran the executable, it claimed that there were missing files.
I double checked... there weren't.

This guide is pretty nifty, but what about if you have an already installed game in your folder? I tried using Lutris once, but once I ran the executable, it claimed that there were missing files.
I double checked... there weren't.
when you say installed game in your folder are we talking about steam or via wine also its depends what you use like did you use Wine and what wine version or proton and what proton version. most time if the game is not DRM then running a game from Steam folder don't work unless its an .EXE installed game or from a disk. Lutris is only good to use if you running game/program installed in wine using wine or proton.

when you say installed game in your folder are we talking about steam or via wine also its depends what you use like did you use Wine and what wine version or proton and what proton version. most time if the game is not DRM then running a game from Steam folder don't work unless its an .EXE installed game or from a disk. Lutris is only good to use if you running game/program installed in wine using wine or proton.
Oh, uh, the game was installed a long, LONG time ago on windows and I carried the folder around with me. It's protection is the form that it requires password login and no other fancy DRM is present.

I would like to iterate that it ran fine in the past, until Lutris updated. Reconfiguring doesn't seem to do anything.

Oh, uh, the game was installed a long, LONG time ago on windows and I carried the folder around with me. It's protection is the form that it requires password login and no other fancy DRM is present.

I would like to iterate that it ran fine in the past, until Lutris updated. Reconfiguring doesn't seem to do anything.
so you use Wine. try to install Proton with ProtonUp-Qt the newest for Lutis is 7-31 also make sure your Wine Folder is update by use WINEPREFIX="WineFolderAdrasse" wineboot and make sure you have the newest Wine version 7.x also make sure DXVK is installed on your system and make sure the system is updated that most of the time is the reason why games may not work lutirs itself don't effect the game since it just a launcher but more the Library/driver you have installed that may be out of date or not supported anymore.

Installing games on Linux is peace of cake. I don't need any additional tools such as POL or Lutris to install a game. But running them is sometimes a whole different matter. For instance, creating a .desktop file for NFS U2 using the menu editor of Cinnamon and then using that .desktop file to run the game results in a black screen and no game at all. I tried everything I could think of, including adding "sh -e" in front of the rest of the command on the exec line and it still didn't work. The only thing that actually worked was to borrow the "desktop" and "start" scripts from another game and edit them to work with the system wine prefix. And now I have a working .desktop file for NFS U2. It's funny that a few hundres lines of code work like a charm but the simple "Exec=wine /path/to/game.exe" doesn't.

Installing games on Linux is peace of cake. I don't need any additional tools such as POL or Lutris to install a game. But running them is sometimes a whole different matter. For instance, creating a .desktop file for NFS U2 using the menu editor of Cinnamon and then using that .desktop file to run the game results in a black screen and no game at all. I tried everything I could think of, including adding "sh -e" in front of the rest of the command on the exec line and it still didn't work. The only thing that actually worked was to borrow the "desktop" and "start" scripts from another game and edit them to work with the system wine prefix. And now I have a working .desktop file for NFS U2. It's funny that a few hundres lines of code work like a charm but the simple "Exec=wine /path/to/game.exe" doesn't.
Sorry, I know I may come out as arrogant. But this is my personal meaning, so I'm just gonna say it. First, I think it's stupid every time people say I don't need a tool like "Tool Here" because you are limiting yourself and pushing yourself into a loss-loss situation where no one can help you unless you are a nerd in the felt. I have used a lot of time in gaming in Wine and not use Steam Native but use Wine instead to install steam and play it that way, and I can't even help you with that because that's something you need years of Experience to do. Also, let me get it straight you want to run the game without tools in Wine only with no help from a client or tools. Only by the Terminal/.desktop shortcut. I find that a tricky thing to do since Wine cannot run all games, depending on your version. That's why stuff like DXVK and Proton Comes in to help games that need stuff or settings to run the game. It is also where Lutris comes in, so you can have more wine/proton versions to support that game. Also, I'm not talking about installing the game; as you said, that's easy but running them is not. That's why Client like lutris has been made to help you control how to run the game, what settings to use, and what Wine/proton Versions.

PS
Installing games on Linux is peace of cake. I don't need any additional tools such as POL or Lutris to install a game.
Why do you think Lutirs is only for installing the game???

PSS
you can use .desktop to run game from lutris with use of this command
Code:
 lutris:rungameid/4
Where 4 is the game ID number

Last edited:
Sorry, I know I may come out as arrogant. But this is my personal meaning, so I'm just gonna say it. First, I think it's stupid every time people say I don't need a tool like "Tool Here" because you are limiting yourself and pushing yourself into a loss-loss situation where no one can help you unless you are a nerd in the felt. I have used a lot of time in gaming in Wine and not use Steam Native but use Wine instead to install steam and play it that way, and I can't even help you with that because that's something you need years of Experience to do. Also, let me get it straight you want to run the game without tools in Wine only with no help from a client or tools. Only by the Terminal/.desktop shortcut. I find that a tricky thing to do since Wine cannot run all games, depending on your version. That's why stuff like DXVK and Proton Comes in to help games that need stuff or settings to run the game. It is also where Lutris comes in, so you can have more wine/proton versions to support that game. Also, I'm not talking about installing the game; as you said, that's easy but running them is not. That's why Client like lutris has been made to help you control how to run the game, what settings to use, and what Wine/proton Versions.

PS

Why do you think Lutirs is only for installing the game???
I meant GUI tools like POL or Lutris. Both complicate the installation process too much and there's still no guarantee the game will actually launch, whereas the ways I use are much faster. If the game comes with setup.exe and gamename.bin files, I have a few other options to install it. The most obvious is (ofc) running setup.exe with the wine program loader. If, for some reason, that doesn't work, I'll simply extract the contents of the bin file(s). Then it's only a matter of copying a few dxvk or vkd3d files in the directory where the exe is and done.
With Steam it's even easier - there are no installators there, you simply download the game files directly and set Proton Experimental. And that's it, the game runs just fine (if it doesn't have EAC).
So why would I waste my time and my nerves with underthought tools like POL or Lutris to install a game when I have a few other options, all of which are much easier and faster?

I meant GUI tools like POL or Lutris. Both complicate the installation process too much and there's still no guarantee the game will actually launch, whereas the ways I use are much faster. If the game comes with setup.exe and gamename.bin files, I have a few other options to install it. The most obvious is (ofc) running setup.exe with the wine program loader. If, for some reason, that doesn't work, I'll simply extract the contents of the bin file(s). Then it's only a matter of copying a few dxvk or vkd3d files in the directory where the exe is and done.
With Steam it's even easier - there are no installators there, you simply download the game files directly and set Proton Experimental. And that's it, the game runs just fine (if it doesn't have EAC).
So why would I waste my time and my nerves with underthought tools like POL or Lutris to install a game when I have a few other options, all of which are much easier and faster?

I have installed games from disk and .EXE, so I only mention steam because that is what I used most. how I do it is I make a Wine folder for that game alone to not get Games Program requirements to Fox with each other the easy way to do it is to open the terminal, put in WINEPREFIX="WineFolderAdrasse" wine "GameEXE/DiskEXE0drasse" and push enter only one game so far don't work that way is FEAR the Box you need to put in the CDKEY don't work it can't use the number only letters for some reason. I think it's an error in Wine. Then you add the Installed game EXE in lutris i have not had a game so far not work in lutris that don't use Anti-Cheat, and the problem with Wine is some Games need Wine 5. x where some work fine in Wine 7. x also, many games work better in Proton then Wine, and again I'm not talking about installing the game but running it after i never use Luis to install EXE files, but i do to run the game.

This is how i do it.

Might have to agree to disagree on this one fellows?

Take it from a person probably old enough to be your father that as soon as you say something like "It's stupid to..." (and you are both prone to doing this) you are inviting an argument. Think of each other as friends or acquaintances or workmates whom you don't wish to hurt their feelings.

On gaming, when I was just a little older than Rado, we had Manaccom, headquartered in Brisbane Queensland Australia, my home town.

They produced Wolfenstein, Doom, and so on. When iTunes and iThis and iThat came in, they saw the field as being too competitive, sold out of gaming and nowadays run our State Lotteries. Clever people, family business. Games come and go. As long as you can play them on Linux, it does not matter really what methods you use. Just share, and don't fight, and be prepared to entertain a new idea.

Cheers

Chris

As long as you can play them on Linux, it does not matter really what methods you use. Just share, and don't fight, and be prepared to entertain a new idea.

I'm not trying to say she can't do it that way. If it works for her, fine. I'm just trying to present my point of view and opinion from my own XP on the table. I know I sometimes may end up coming out as arrogant and may say some stupid things, but that's only because its something I care about, and I always try not to come out that way as much I can, but when you get worked up about something you care for it get hard for me to do so. You can play and install the game the way you like, but I do it my way, so I can only advise my way, so there will always be conflict when it comes to that. Also, I think its a part of Linux if you ask me; we all do it our way, and we all have an opinion on how we want to do it or how we think is the best way to do it. It always conflicts with someone's ells ways, so there will always be a conflict in who is right and not even if they both are or none are that just the life of every discussion and help.

Might have to agree to disagree on this one fellows?

Take it from a person probably old enough to be your father that as soon as you say something like "It's stupid to..." (and you are both prone to doing this) you are inviting an argument. Think of each other as friends or acquaintances or workmates whom you don't wish to hurt their feelings.

On gaming, when I was just a little older than Rado, we had Manaccom, headquartered in Brisbane Queensland Australia, my home town.

They produced Wolfenstein, Doom, and so on. When iTunes and iThis and iThat came in, they saw the field as being too competitive, sold out of gaming and nowadays run our State Lotteries. Clever people, family business. Games come and go. As long as you can play them on Linux, it does not matter really what methods you use. Just share, and don't fight, and be prepared to entertain a new idea.

Cheers

Chris
I wasn't arguing, I was just trying to show him there's a lot easier way to run a game without POL or the overrated Lutris. Now I see he's using Ubuntu (a.k.a Pop!OS) and that distro does need the Lutris crutch, otherwise you're gonna need to perform a digital enema for games to work on Ubuntu without Lutris.

Here's a magic how I run games without any crutches (Lutris/POL). As the image shows, I don't have either of them installed.

xJH328N.png

And here's the magic.

It looks like the game is lagging bc of the video recording process. Without that process it runs fine.

Now I see he's using Ubuntu (a.k.a Pop!OS) and that distro does need the Lutris crutch, otherwise you're gonna need to perform a digital enema for games to work on Ubuntu without Lutris.

im not that is an old video i use Arch Garuda.

In that case congratulations for moving away from Micronical's child. :)
Ubuntu isn't Microsoft or Windows so why compare it to that. What's the point of dissing another Linux distribution, there is none. That's one of the reasons why people find the Linux community toxic because certain people from certain distributions look down on other distributions, I'm not going to mention any distribution names.

Ubuntu isn't Microsoft or Windows so why compare it to that. What's the point of dissing another Linux distribution, there is none. That's one of the reasons why people find the Linux community toxic because certain people from certain distributions look down on other distributions, I'm not going to mention any distribution names.
They're never gonna admit it officially (either one of the companies) because that would mean Microsoft admitting they're moving their plan to destroy linux on schedule. They may pretend they love linux but my country has a very good saying about this, which literally translated says "The wolf changes his hide but not his character". If anyone still thinks Microsoft loves linux, they're naive, to say it in the most polite way. MS couldn't get rid of linux, so now they're doing it by directly tampering with the code of the most popular distribution. MS hates linux because it's free and causes them to lose billions of dollars.

Some time in 2020 Microsoft bragged about how Ubuntu was the only distro that can run Microsoft applications (meaning EXE) natively without the need of Wine. For that to happen Micronical would need to know EXACTLY how these apps work and for them to know that, that would mean they have access to the application's source code. Everything Microsoft's is proprietary, meaning closed source code. Microsoft would never willingly share the source code of any of their apps with anyone, unless they're 100% sure that this Anyone is fully controlled by them.

Also, whenever Microsoft wants to make any change to Micronical's Ubuntu (and to linux in general), Micronical plunges to help them do it, no matter how bad is it for the linux community or for the linux security. In my book Micronical are traitors who have sold themselves for money to Microsoft, that's why I call them Micronical, not Canonical. Micronical reminds me of the venal Bulgarian politicians who would bend over pants down in front of anyone who gives them money.

That may but true but back to my point since facts don't justify dissing another distribution, what's the point of lowering/dissing another distribution or the people who use it. There is none, it only causes negativity and people to see the Linux community as toxic

Last edited:
I'm not dissing anyone. I only congratulated the user for moving away from Microsoft's distribution. At least now he can be sure every key stroke of his is not logged and sent to the slave master.
The same way I was congratulated a few years ago when I left Mint and installed Arch bc those more experienced in Arch than me knew what I was movin away from. I could tell you my whole odissey with Mint (which is basically Ubuntu with a changed desktop) in details and then you'll understand why I'd congratulate anyone who decided to move away from Mint to any other distro, regardless if the new distro is Arch or something else.

In that case congratulations for moving away from Micronical's child. :)
This is dissing a Linux distribution, it brings negativity and adds to the already existing toxicity around the Linux community.

They're never gonna admit it officially (either one of the companies) because that would mean Microsoft admitting they're moving their plan to destroy linux on schedule. They may pretend they love linux but my country has a very good saying about this, which literally translated says "The wolf changes his hide but not his character". If anyone still thinks Microsoft loves linux, they're naive, to say it in the most polite way. MS couldn't get rid of linux, so now they're doing it by directly tampering with the code of the most popular distribution. MS hates linux because it's free and causes them to lose billions of dollars.

Some time in 2020 Microsoft bragged about how Ubuntu was the only distro that can run Microsoft applications (meaning EXE) natively without the need of Wine. For that to happen Micronical would need to know EXACTLY how these apps work and for them to know that, that would mean they have access to the application's source code. Everything Microsoft's is proprietary, meaning closed source code. Microsoft would never willingly share the source code of any of their apps with anyone, unless they're 100% sure that this Anyone is fully controlled by them.

Also, whenever Microsoft wants to make any change to Micronical's Ubuntu (and to linux in general), Micronical plunges to help them do it, no matter how bad is it for the linux community or for the linux security. In my book Micronical are traitors who have sold themselves for money to Microsoft, that's why I call them Micronical, not Canonical. Micronical reminds me of the venal Bulgarian politicians who would bend over pants down in front of anyone who gives them money.
Still better than windows.

Staff online