Credits

OP
TheProf

TheProf

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
My understanding is that there are mainly 2 ways of installing games on Linux.

1. Installing Linux native games directly on Linux without any type of API translation

2. Using something like WINE to run windows games which essentially does API call translation from Windows as these are windows games and are not natively compatible with Linux.

The WINE approach is pretty good for a lot of games, but it is not perfect.

From my experience on gaming on Linux, WINE works pretty well when it ia properly installed with all the correct dependencies, but you kind of have to know what you need to run your games in Linux.

kibasnowpaw

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
My understanding is that there are mainly 2 ways of installing games on Linux.

1. Installing Linux native games directly on Linux without any type of API translation

2. Using something like WINE to run windows games which essentially does API call translation from Windows as these are windows games and are not natively compatible with Linux.

The WINE approach is pretty good for a lot of games, but it is not perfect.

From my experience on gaming on Linux, WINE works pretty well when it ia properly installed with all the correct dependencies, but you kind of have to know what you need to run your games in Linux.

Ways of installing or environment because there are only 3 environment Wine and Proton and then native. ways of installing is many you can use something like lutris to install it you can do it in Terminal, you can use a Steam there are many ways "To" install games but yes if you see Proton and Wine as the same environment Then yes then there is only 2 environment to install game into.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online