Okay, I'm a bit confused by the "DVD-RAM" description. If it is DVD-ROM, then it will not burn disks, I don't think. You usually want to see RW, like DVD-RW, which indicates "rewritable." It may show that on the drive door, but it can be hard to see.

Okay, I don't think you can write to a blank disk with that. I think it will only read disks. This was pretty common on older computers. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you have another computer that you can make the Linux DVD with? If you can make the DVD on another machine, then your laptop will probably boot on it.

Great! Looks like I was wrong... those show it is a writer. So with a few blank DVD's you can try this method. :D

Hello, it's me, xD1G0x,
I am new in Forums and in Linux too. I don't have any Linux OS yet, but I'm thinking about having one. So, I have a question for you: Can I run Linux on my Laptop and which one? I know, you can't answer to this question until I post information about my Computer. So here it is:

Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 1833 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 4,00 GB (2,99 GB usable)
System Type: 32-Bit X86-based PC
BIOS Version/Date: LENOVO 79ETC9WW (2.09), 2006.12.22
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphic information:
Name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 256 MB
OpenGL version: 1.4

Computer: LENOVO
Version: T60

I think that's all I need to provide to you to get answer.

My correct OS: Windows 7 32-Bit

But I still want to get Linux.

Waiting for response, xD1G0x
Since you are coming from windows 7 try linux Mint which you can duel boot. Mint will look familiar to you as it has a similar layout and is probably one of the easiest Linux Distros to use. There is a 32bit version and there is a lot of help on Mint Forum. You could try other Distros, so it might pay to hop over to Distrowatch and read up on them - Many of us do this first and try the live versions without installing first. The only thing I can say for certain to you is once you switch you won't go back to Windows - good luck with whatever you choose

Yep, knew all that, LOL ... and it's a Matshita not a Matshiba ... but Gee your English is good, young fella.

And even though there is 4GB RAM in the lappie, only 3GB can be used because of limitations on the architecture.

Still, should be fine for running a bunch of Linux?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, flips optical disks like Frisbees or star knives)

Hi @xD1G0x and welcome to linux.org :)

Looks like you are getting good help, as I would expect, but even more importantly, you are already helping others, that is wonderful :D

I am from Australia, so I will be in and out at different times.

Given you know your way around Imgur, you can do the below

3Adc5aI.png

When your screenshot has been saved (wait for it to finish)

1. Right-click in the image
2. Choose "copy image location"
3. Come back here to your Reply Pane and see the toolbar
4. Choose what looks like a camera setting of mountains right of the smiley face emoticon (Smart Tip says Image) and click
5. Paste the internet address you have copied and enter
6. Your picture will appear here

Burning DVD with Windows 7

https://www.wikihow.com/Burn-a-DVD-in-Windows-7

When you are "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" like your wolf friend (love it ;))

See if you can give us the version of your VirtualBox as well.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder :cool:

I left with that mysterious note, and should explain... also see that @Ptahhotep and I were almost in each other's footsteps :eek:

IF you choose to try the Live CD/DVD route, almost any 32-bit Linux will likely be OK, including the latest editions.

On the other hand, if you wish to try via VirtualBox, your options will be limited if you do not have the newest edition of VB.

Different versions of VB have support up to and including different Linux Kernels.

For example VirtualBox :

Virtualbox 5.1.26. Linux host: supported kernel version up to 4.12.10.

Linux Mint 19 codenamed 'Tara' ships with kernel 4.15.0-20 installed (currently up to 4.15.0-24), so that Linux would not work on that VirtualBox. This could explain the errors you have been receiving.

If you stayed with that VB, the last Linux Mint you could use would be 18.1 'Serena', which has kernel 4.4.0 - subsequent subversion 18.2 'Sonya' and 18.3 'Sylvia' are currently in the 4.13 series of kernel. So they would not work either.

I haven't tried this (I just use .isos that I have downloaded) but if you go into VB as you suggested elsewhere, and pick out a Linux Distro from within its stores eg Ubuntu, Linux Mint, &c - then it will install the one with a kernel version it supports?

Cheers

Wizard

Just to add my two pennies worth again:)if you go to the Mint home page downloads you can download earlier versions that are still supported and may work better with your set up - just stick to the kernel you have with it, I think it might be 4 10.38 - Oh and it probably better to go for the 18 series of Mint - let us know how you get on

Sorry about that, it's just a Typo, my VM version: 4.3.12, because I used latest one, it won't start for some reasons, but I tried this one, it's works. Also thank you ;3

I have another question, as I know that linux OS can run other type of software. Like Windows can run .exe, I guess Linux can run .sh, Android can run .apk, so I was curious, in Linux there is program which allow run .exe file?

Still don't brought disk, because Local Store don't have DVD-RW

As we say in Australia "That's the ticket!" which means - that's great news, @xD1G0x :D - and I see you've got the hang of the Imgur posts now too, good outcome all around.

Enjoy your Linux ;)

Wiz