Solved Don't work Live USB

Solved issue
REinstall.
I did. But still a problem with Grub.

Yes, Live USB works for me now.

But the installed (already installed) Xubuntu from the hard drive does not start. Grub is loaded instead (although Grub is now newer than 2.06, not 2.03).

What else to do?)

Exactly what I would focus on, first.

Reset to Default Settings or Factory Settings and reboot, then plug in the Xubuntu stick and reboot and choose it to boot first.

Cheers

Wizard
Yes, it helped a bit :) Live USB works.

But how to run (already installed) Xubunta from the hard drive?

Grub

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_072532_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_072532_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 65
Easiest is to do a full reinstall.

Boot the USB stick, run the installer and choose Use Entire Disk (erasing what was on there previously).

Wizard

Boot the USB stick, run the installer and choose Use Entire Disk (erasing what was on there previously).

Wizard
That's exactly what I did. (Read my previous 4 comments carefully).

I used to have Puppy Linux and Grub 2.03 on my hard drive and Live USB didn't work.

Live USB Xubuntu worked for me today. And I INSTALL Xubuntu on the hard drive. (Because of the Erase option, that is, erase everything that was previously on the hard disk.)

But booting from the hard drive now also reloads Grub. The only difference is now Grub is newer version 2.06 (was 2.03).

Wizard
From my previous comment:

=====
5) During the installation process, there was a Grub error message (WTF?), but then Xubuntu said that the installation was completed successfully.
6) I remove the Live USB, reboot the laptop, enable booting from the hard drive in Bios/UEFI.
7) The laptop boots back into Grub. But Grub is newer version 2.06 (was 2.03 before).
8) Grub responds to the boot command: "you need to load the kernel first".
9) Maybe somehow load the kernel? Should I reinsert the Live USB and somehow remove Grub from the hard drive?

What shall I do?

At this point what would I do...
1] using another machine, wipe the current USB installation pen drive, re-format to fats, then download and burn another Distro using Balena Etcher.
2] Boot the new ISO pen-drive to test/try mode, and using this wipe the SSD using blkdiscard [this should get rid of all hidden partitions]
3] re-boot machine and make sure secure boot and fast-boot are both disabled [ your machine may be too old to have them]
4] install new distribution in normal way allowing the installer to partition the SSD, [choose used complete disc at partition stage]

At this point what would I do...
I have already solved yesterday's Live USB problem.

Live USB Xubuntu on this laptop already works correctly. And I ALREADY INSTALLED Xubuntu on the hard drive.

I used the Erase option - that is, the system completely erased the hard drive during installation.

During the installation process, the system gave me a Grub (WTF?) error message, but continued with the installation. And then Xubuntu reported that the installation on the hard disk was completed successfully.

I unplugged the Live USB, rebooted the laptop and allowed in Bios/UEFI to install from HDD.

When booting, Grub appears again (but it has been updated to 2.06).

What else (step by step) should I do?

Of course, it is Xubunta latest LTS version from official site.

And Live USB Xubunta work correct with THE SAME laptop. Problem with booting from the hard drive (on which I already installed this Xubuntu).

I used the Erase option - that is, the system completely erased the hard drive during installation.
If there is a hidden-encrypted partition on a SSD, that will not usually remove it.
I can't think of anything else.

If there is a hidden-encrypted partition on a SSD, that will not usually remove it.
I can't think of anything else.
Maybe.

But what should I do now?

Now I have:
1) A working Live USB of Xubunta with the new LTS version.
2) The same Xubuntu installed on the hard drive.
3) Grub 2.06.

What can I do about this so that I can boot Xubuntu from the hard drive normally?

Can I somehow boot Xubuntu from a hard drive (NOT from a Live USB) via Grub? Grub wants me to manually load the kernel first.

And then maybe I can somehow remove Grub from the hard drive altogether?

Can you tell me how to do something like that?

I don't understand how it work :(
Here's a step by step demonstration of using the grub shell to boot from:

You will need to know what your root partition is in those instructions on the link above. If you don't know that, boot up a live usb or a rescue disk to run fdisk on the hard drive to identify your root partition.

Here's a step by step demonstration of using the grub shell to boot from:

You will need to know what your root partition is in those instructions on the link above. If you don't know that, boot up a live usb or a rescue disk to run fdisk on the hard drive to identify your root partition.
I don't understand where is file vmlinuz. I am attaching a photo of the file system.

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_105501_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_105501_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 64
My file system.

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_110037_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_110037_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 362
Try:
Code:
grub> ls (hd0,2)/boot
vmlinuz with a version number is normally in /boot directory.

Members online