Solved Don't work Live USB

Solved issue

OlKlym

Reaction score
Credits
I bought a laptop without an OS. I install Linux via a USB stick.

1) Installed Lubuntu first. All norms were immediately established. But it turns out that Lubunta is based on KDE components, I don't like it. Demolished the system.

2) I install Linux Lite. It is installed via "internal" Grub. Grub does not see vmlinuz for some reason and therefore cannot boot the system. Tortured - demolished.

3) Installed Puppy Linux (old version, based on Ubuntu). It works fine from a flash drive. But it cannot be installed on the hard disk. What I didn't do: I re-partitioned the disk, and registered grub (Puppy Linux is also started through grub) in different logical drives - it didn't help.

4) And, it seems, just in the process of this, I damaged something.

5) Now I want to install Xubuntu. But I don't have Live USB booting.

6) When I start the computer, it automatically starts grub from the hard drive and then tries to start Puppy Linux, but it can't.

Everything is set up correctly in Bios/UEFI:

• Bios/UEFI mode: both (both options), UEFI first (trying UEFI first).
• loading from USB - in the first line.

I tried to launch Live USB manually via F12 - it does not load.

I tried to turn off booting from the hard drive in Bios/UEFI in general - it still does not see Live USB.

7) What do I have now?

The hard disk is divided into 4 disks:
• sda1 - for Grub - 500 MB, in fat32 format,
• sda2 - for Linux - 35 GB, in gpt4 format,
• sda3 - for files - 84.5 GB, in gpt4 format,
• sda4 - swap file - 8 GB, in linux-swap format.

When the computer starts, grub is started from the hard drive.

He sees (ls) :
(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0, gpt2) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt4) (hd1)

When I want to see the file system of a USB stick:
ls (hd1)
Device hd1: No known filesystem detected - Sector size 512B - Total size 60088320KiB.

Accordingly, I cannot manually find and run vmlinuz

The USB stick was made as a Live USB with the EtchDroid (Android phone program). I recorded all previous Linuxes in the same way. The USB-stick is definitely working and everything is definitely written there in the correct format.

On another computer, these same Live USBs with both Xubuntu and Puppy Linux work perfectly. So, it is burned correctly. ///And I will repeat it again. THIS SAME Live USB on my laptop BEFORE installing Grub was working fine. AFTER installing Grub on the hard drive, the laptop stopped working with THIS SAME Live USB Puppy.

How to run Live USB?

I bought a laptop without an OS
Welcome to the forums
well that narrows thing down but not a lot... what is the full make and model number [on the manufacturer's plate often found on the bottom of the machine or under the battery]

Not to answer your question.

Lubuntu is based on the LxQT desktop.

Your formatting seems wrong.

Grub 1 Gb (1024 Mb)
Swap 2 Gb (2048 Mb)

Formatting to gpt? Why have you got 2 gpt partitions. Why not formatted to ext4?

The easiest way is to choose "Use whole disk" (or similar). This will automatically sort out your formatting for you.

3) Installed Puppy Linux (old version, based on Ubuntu). It works fine from a flash drive. But it cannot be installed on the hard disk. What I didn't do: I re-partitioned the disk, and registered grub (Puppy Linux is also started through grub) in different logical drives - it didn't help.
Puppy Linux is designed to be run from ram and installed as a frugal onto a usb flash drive.

Read here.

Puppy Linux can be installed onto a hard drive although not recommended as it takes away from the unique features of Puppy Linux.

4) And, it seems, just in the process of this, I damaged something.
The only thing that I've ever damaged from failed or botched installs was my pride.

These may be helpful.

Welcome to linux.org forums.

The more information you post about the computer you are wanting to use the better the help that can be given.

Welcome to the forums
well that narrows thing down but not a lot... what is the full make and model number [on the manufacturer's plate often found on the bottom of the machine or under the battery]
It's old laptop. Lenovo X121e with AMD E-450 (64 bit).

Not to answer your question.

Lubuntu is based on the LxQT desktop.

Your formatting seems wrong.

Grub 1 Gb (1024 Mb)
Swap 2 Gb (2048 Mb)

Formatting to gpt? Why have you got 2 gpt partitions. Why not formatted to ext4?

The easiest way is to choose "Use whole disk" (or similar). This will automatically sort out your formatting for you.
Yes, I made mistakes installing Puppy.

And after reading more about Puppy, I now do NOT want to install Puppy at all.

I have a Live USB from Xubunta.

But the laptop stubbornly does not want to boot ANY Live USB (both Xubunta and Puppy). Although in Bios/UEFI I have boot from USB HDD set in the first line. The laptop still stubbornly boots Grub from the hard drive instead of the Live USB.

What shall I do?

Ok so its an old think pad, unless its been upgraded it will only have 2gb of ram [can be upgraded to a max 2x 4gb]
It should run lightweight and medium weight distributions ok, but will struggle with full-blown distro's like Mint 21 or Ubuntu,
It is too old for windows quick-start ans secure boot, so no problems there,

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot and/or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

to boot a usb on Lenovo use the short boot menu, it will be tickle whilst switching on either F8, F10, or F12 [depending on model

Ok so its an old think pad, unless its been upgraded it will only have 2gb of ram [can be upgraded to a max 2x 4gb]
It should run lightweight and medium weight distributions ok, but will struggle with full-blown distro's like Mint 21 or Ubuntu,
It is too old for windows quick-start ans secure boot, so no problems there,

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot and/or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
I burned Live USB with EtchDroid (latest version for Android). And it work in another computer.

Yes, i think about this... But I don't know what I can do.

And I have SSD memory, but I don't know about M2 or another .

to boot a usb on Lenovo use the short boot menu, it will be tickle whilst switching on either F8, F10, or F12 [depending on model
Yes, i know about short boot menu F12.

But AFTER installation Grub, this menu don't boot Live USB too.

Sorry, im a bit dis-jointed today [busywith other things]]
As I know , there is 1×8 gb.
not to sure there, the workshop sheets say 2x4gb.
But AFTER installation Grub, this menu don't boot Live USB too.

Makes me think more likely to have a hidden partition, especially if it was originally used for windows [I had a similar problem when i bought a second hand wiped windows ssd]

Makes me think more likely to have a hidden partition, especially if it was originally used for windows [I had a similar problem when i bought a second hand wiped windows ssd]
Yesterday, when I tried to install Puppy, I manually partitioned the drive and manually installed grub (from Puppy's Live USB).

Maybe I damaged the hidden partition in the process. I've already thought about it, but I don't know what to do.

see link in previous post

This looks so wrong. Grub doesn't need a partition (Did you mean UEFI?). GPT4 (Did you mean EXT4?)
The hard disk is divided into 4 disks:
• sda1 - for Grub - 500 MB, in fat32 format,
• sda2 - for Linux - 35 GB, in gpt4 format,
• sda3 - for files - 84.5 GB, in gpt4 format,
• sda4 - swap file - 8 GB, in linux-swap format.
3) Installed Puppy Linux (old version, based on Ubuntu).
I'd say format everything and start over, and let the installer do its job; format and create partitions.

Staff online

Members online