Solved Don't work Live USB

Solved issue
you should be able to boot a live USB, and run the formatting from there, if you cnt now boot a live usb then there may be a problem with either the USB or the settings in the Bios/UEFI

you should be able to boot a live USB, and run the formatting from there, if you cnt now boot a live usb then there may be a problem with either the USB or the settings in the Bios/UEFI
BEFORE installing Grub - my Live USB worked correct.

But AFTER installing Grub - LIVE USB don't work.

What I can do?

I DON'T change settings in the Bios/UEFI.

Boot from USB HDD is in first line.

BEFOR installing Grub - my Live USB worked correct.

But AFTER installing Grub - LIVE USB don't work.

How are you "installing Grub"?
This is normally installed by the OS installation.

How are you "installing Grub"?
This is normally installed by the OS installation.
Puppy Linux was not installed on the hard drive.

So I used Gparted with Poppy's Live USB and manually partitioned the drive.

Then installed Grub from Live USB Puppy several times in different partitions. And also manually edited the Grub configuration file.

Puppy Linux was not installed on the hard drive.

So I used Gparted with Poppy's Live USB and manually partitioned the drive.

Then installed Grub from Live USB Puppy several times in different partitions. And also manually edited the Grub configuration file.

There's your problem. Just do a standard install, let the install do the partitioning for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_154255_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_154255_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20240106_154241_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_154241_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 117

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_154850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_154850_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20240106_154936_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_154936_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20240106_155029_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_155029_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20240106_155104_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_155104_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 106
Can I do this from Grub?
Do you mean from the live USB? Well, yes, recreate it, that is, format the USB and write an .iso file onto it, and try booting from it.

Do you mean from the live USB? Well, yes, recreate it, that is, format the USB and write an .iso file onto it, and try booting from it.
No. This Grub is installed on my hard disc now.

Yeah, definitely start over; format the USB drive, download ventoy https://www.ventoy.net/en/download.html follow the instructions to install ventoy on the USB, restart your pc, go to bios and make sure boot from USB is selected.

My Live USB is normal, it work on another computer.

But this laptop don't work with Live USB AFTER installing Grub on hard disc.

My Live USB is normal, it work on another computer.

But this laptop don't work with Live USB AFTER installing Grub on hard disc.
Sure, because your other computer doesn't have puppy on it or any of the mess you did, does it? Just try that, you have nothing to lose, do you?

But my BIOS/UEFI already have USB HDD in first line.
From your screenshots, you installed puppy in frugal mode, that leads me to believe that the pc sees the internal disk as a USB too, since frugal install is intended for USB flash drives. The idea of formatting and re-installing the .iso into the USB thumb, is to delete any info saved in its cache, so maybe, the pc can see it and boots to it.

Sure, because your other computer doesn't have puppy on it or any of the mess you did, does it? Just try that, you have nothing to lose, do you?
Could you please explain to me in DETAIL what to do with Ventoy and how to install everything further. (So that I don't make mistakes like yesterday with Grub )

From your screenshots, you installed puppy in frugal mode, that leads me to believe that the pc sees the internal disk as a USB too, since frugal install is intended for USB flash drives. The idea of formatting and re-installing the .iso into the USB thumb, is to delete any info saved in its cache, so maybe, the pc can see it and boots to it.
So I formatted the USB stick and made a Live USB Xubuntu (NOT Puppy) from it.

Members online

Latest posts