Solved Don't work Live USB

Solved issue
Try:
Code:
grub> ls (hd0,2)/boot
vmlinuz with a version number is normally in /boot directory.
There is no vmlinuz. Look at my photos.

In boot (hd0,1) there are:

ls (hd0,1)/efi/boot/
bootx64.efi fbx64.efi mmx64.efi

Try:
Code:
grub> ls (hd0,2)/boot
vmlinuz with a version number is normally in /boot directory.
Oh, yeah. It's my mistake.

ls (hd0,2)/boot - on new photo.

But what I need do else?

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_112155_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240107_112155_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 92
Try this series of commands:
Code:
grub> set root=(hd0,2)
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.0-26-generic root=/dev/sda2
grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-6.2.0-26-generic
grub> boot

Code:
grub> set root=(hd0,2)
grub> boot
I will try to. Thank you :)

But, as I understand, they need to be entered every time when loading?

Can I boot into Xubuntu now - and somehow delete Grub? (Xubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, Grub 2.06.)

I will try to. Thank you :)

But, as I understand, they need to be entered every time when loading?

Can I boot into Xubuntu now - and somehow delete Grub?
The grub prompt is not a way of normal booting each time one wants to boot the system, rather the user has been thrown into the grub prompt because there is a problem with the grub installation, and it's offering a way of getting into the system. It's then up to the user to find the problem and rectify it. In this case, a reasonable approach would be to update grub once into the system, and if that is not sufficient to make the machine boot properly next time, then you can consider re-installing grub.

If you want to delete grub, you will need to install another bootloader of which there are a few like systemd-boot and syslinux. Getting grub to work though is the most common way to proceed. A proper installation of grub is quite reliable for small systems with few things to boot.

The grub prompt is not a way of normal booting each time one wants to boot the system, rather the user has been thrown into the grub prompt because there is a problem with the grub installation, and it's offering a way of getting into the system. It's then up to the user to find the problem and rectify it. In this case, a reasonable approach would be to update grub once into the system, and if that is not sufficient to make the machine boot properly next time, then you can consider re-installing grub.

If you want to delete grub, you will need to install another bootloader of which there are a few like systemd-boot and syslinux. Getting grub to work though is the most common way to proceed. A proper installation of grub is quite reliable for small systems with few things to boot.
Maybe it's better to remove Grub altogether from the laptop? (Will Xubuntu not boot then?)

Ok... I'm just trying to figure things out BEFORE I do. (Because I've made a lot of mistakes before, when installing Linux Lite and Puppy Linux.)

If I update Grub now, will the system boot without this command line?

Does Xubuntu necessarily need a bootloader? (How does Windows not load?)

Okay, let's have Grub then.

To update grub, once you have booted the system, you need to become root and run the command:
Code:
update-grub

As mentioned, if that's not enough, re-installing grub is the logical next step.

To re-install grub, a generic approach is outlined here for your EFI system:

It's a bit of a learning curve, so having a browse online will doubtless help with understanding what needs to be done.

And yes, you do need a bootloader, otherwise the installation won't boot :)

Alternatively to this approach is to take the wizardfromoz suggestion in post #64 and re-install the distro from the usb and hope that the installation will put everything in place so that the new installation just boots in the normal troublefree way.

Last edited:
And how do I get root on this system?)
To become root you can run in a terminal:
Code:
su -
and enter root's password when prompted which will give you a root shell in which you can then run the update-grub command, or use sudo thus:
Code:
sudo update-grub
in which case you enter your user password when prompted, and it should then run the update-grub command.

AFAIK, GPT is a whole-disk format type; you can't just format individual partitions as GPT. Even so, running Puppy from a USB stick shouldn't conflict in any way with what's on the main drive.

It's almost certainly something not set-up correctly in the BIOS. Or your bootloader's shot.

Which Puppy are we talking about here? And this "EtchDroid". Never heard of it. It's probably 'dd'-based, like so many others are.......which, for Puppy, can introduce its own set of problems.

Need more information.

Mike. ;)

AFAIK, GPT is a whole-disk format type; you can't just format individual partitions as GPT. Even so, running Puppy from a USB stick shouldn't conflict in any way with what's on the main drive.

It's almost certainly something not set-up correctly in the BIOS.

Mike. ;)
I have already solved the issues with Puppy and running Live USB Xubuntu :)

I'm currently working on a problem with Grub.

Which Puppy are we talking about here? And this "EtchDroid". Never heard of it. It's probably 'dd'-based, like so many others are.......which, for Puppy, can introduce its own set of problems.

Need more information.

Mike. ;)
Puppy is Puppy Linux.

EtchDroid is Android program for burn Live USB.

)
Code:
grub> set root=(hd0,2)
grub> boot
It worked.

After entering these commands, I booted into Xubuntu on the hard drive. And then updated Grub via sudo update-grub .

Xubuntu works and boots normally (NO problems with Grub anymore).

Thanks to ALL who helped :)

P.S. Offtop. Also, tell me how to lower the panel on the Desktop (in Xubuntu it is on top).

Try RIGHT-clicking on the panel and see if you get "move".

The common way to move a panel is to drag the "handles" (dotted lines) at the ends.

Try RIGHT-clicking on the panel and see if you get "move".

The common way to move a panel is to drag the "handles" (dotted lines) at the ends.
There is "move". But for some reason it is not possible to move.

)

It worked.

After entering these commands, I booted into Xubuntu on the hard drive. And then updated Grub via sudo update-grub .

Xubuntu works and boots normally (NO problems with Grub anymore).

Thanks to ALL who helped :)

P.S. Offtop. Also, tell me how to lower the panel on the Desktop (in Xubuntu it is on top).
Eureka! Very pleased for you after the saga :)

Staff online