Solved YouTube's Anti-Adblock With uBlock Origin

Solved issue
Horrific. Is it temporary?

I can just click the X and watch the video.

I'm not a Google employee or anything, so I can't speculate beyond that.

In theory, they can (with some degree of success) block the content unless you allow ads. That's a lot like work and usually requires updating as ad blocking advances, but you do things like assign a UUID to the ads themselves and then only show the content when the script confirms that it was loaded.

I don't know much about the new message beyond that.

Here's mine.
You said you have a Youtube account.
I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Could be a browser setting.
I have my browser settings to not allow anything and also set to the most restrictive setting.
I'm also using Chromium and Firefox and Firefox ESR in my Linux distros.
I'm also using Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger both default settings OOTB.

Screenshot.png

Here's mine.

This being Google, it wouldn't surprise me if they're rolling it out in sections and that I'm just in some sort of 'test market' or whatnot. There are a bunch of other people reporting the same thing.

I'm using Ublock Origin and Privacy badger default settings.
I use those two too, selected because they are FOSS and because I trust the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the big community of uBO

Well, Google now lets you watch just three videos with an ad blocker enabled.

I'm the guy who doesn't mind ads - on some sites. I'd have ads enabled here, but I'm a gold supporter and that means I see no ads.

But, YouTube ads annoy me. They're often long and I don't want to babysit the tab, meaning flipping to it to tell it to skip the ads after 5 seconds. They also often are much louder than the video.

Never fear...

You do not need YouTube to watch YouTube. I knew I'd come across an alternative, so I scoured my bookmarks to find a link. (This took longer than watching ads would have taken, but I'm okay with that.)

It's an Invidious instance. You can stand up your own instance or look for others.

Find your own Invidious server here:

The first link was the one I had in my browser's bookmarks. The second link is one dug out via a search engine. The first link should be fairly stable. They've been around for as long as I can remember Invidious existing.

uBO is fighting the good fight, I haven't seen that youtube message yet but it's a matter of time

Last edited:
uBO is fighting the good fight, I haven't seen that youtube message yet but it's a matter of time

I think they might be rolling it out in phases. uBlock Origin was the extension in play when I used up my three videos refreshing to try different things. You can't even block the element and bypass it that way.

After allowing adblocking for this long, it's a darned shame. I'm not sure if this method can be bypassed. I'll hope for the best.

Last edited:
LOL For me Invidious works better then youtube. On tube i get buffering at 360p and i jest watched a video on Invidious in hd720 with no buffering!
:D ...Thank you KGIII !.. :D

i jest watched a video on Invidious in hd720 with no buffering!

I forgot to mention that the pages are 'lighter' and that videos seem to play without much effort. If you register, you can configure a bunch of settings. You can then save playlists, subscribe to channels, etc...

it prevented me to consume millions of things:

Yup. Mine's like 11 million.

TDS899Y.png

That profile has been used across multiple installations that span a few years.

I currently have a working solution, largely done by simply purging the existing rules and updating them.

I suspect I could have just updated them.

Yup. Mine's like 11 million.

TDS899Y.png

That profile has been used across multiple installations that span a few years.

I currently have a working solution, largely done by simply purging the existing rules and updating them.

I suspect I could have just updated them.
Mine is from a single installation done in August 2021 when I setup Debian 11. It looks like you use a lot more internet than me or you enter nefarious realms more often

It looks like you use a lot more internet than me or you enter nefarious realms more often

YouTube adds up fast. Watch and check how the number increases.

But, the /home/kgiii/.config/google-chrome folder has spanned multiple years and even multiple installs. Heck, it's not even originally from the computer I'm using now.

Members online