[UNSOLVED] ventoy UEFI causing system to freeze.

i have booted in UEFI from Ventoy and trying to install the debian. I have even format my disk with gnome disk manager. Still got this error. Does this mean i have to boot in ventoy in normal mode and then install the debian? thats how i did last time
I used Ventoy recently to install my new desktop and if I remember correctly, if your uefi/bios is set to boot in uefi mode and you set your usb boot device to use uefi mode Ventoy will boot the iso in uefi mode when you select normal mode from the menu. Because when not using Ventoy and you boot from a bootable usb flash drive you will have to select if you want to boot from the usb flash drive in uefi mode or not.

I used Ventoy recently to install my new desktop and if I remember correctly, if your uefi/bios is set to boot in uefi mode and you set your usb boot device to use uefi mode Ventoy will boot the iso in uefi mode when you select normal mode from the menu. Because when not using Ventoy and you boot from a bootable usb flash drive you will have to select if you want to boot from the usb flash drive in uefi mode or not.
These are some options of my bios and you can see it's in UEFI and there is no option to change from efi or anything. Now I'm boot from ventoy in UEFI but it's causing that grub error

Now I'll boot from bios in ventoy and see if that works :) this is taking longer then anticipated

Attachments

• IMG20240324221348.jpg
    IMG20240324221348.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG20240324221405.jpg
    IMG20240324221405.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG20240324221746.jpg
    IMG20240324221746.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 267
Installed debian in legacy mode. For some reason it was giving error while installing in UEFI. I tried disabled csm from bios still I wasn't able to install in UEFI. But it's done. I'll wait for couple of days without installing Microsoft edge then will install Microsoft edge to confirm if it's really because of edge :)

Installed debian in legacy mode. For some reason it was giving error while installing in UEFI. I tried disabled csm from bios still I wasn't able to install in UEFI. But it's done. I'll wait for couple of days without installing Microsoft edge then will install Microsoft edge to confirm if it's really because of edge :)
Say it your system doesn't freeze anymore without Edge and then does so again with Edge, try remove Edge then again. But if your system still freezes without Edge or any other third-party repo then look for a different distribution with newer software and kernels in the repos. So you running an uefi boot or bios boot installation now?

Say it your system doesn't freeze anymore without Edge and then does so again with Edge, try remove Edge then again. But if your system still freezes without Edge or any other third-party repo then look for a different distribution with newer software and kernels in the repos. So you running an uefi boot or bios boot installation now?
Right now im running bios for someone reason uefi didnt worked

In microsoft edge at least in linux version doesnt have any hardware acceleration options

It should be in the System section.

It may now be called 'Use graphics acceleration when available'. It looks like they've changed the name in Chromium (at least).

Try that.

Well, try that assuming that Edge hasn't ripped it out.

It should be in the System section.

It may now be called 'Use graphics acceleration when available'. It looks like they've changed the name in Chromium (at least).

Try that.

Well, try that assuming that Edge hasn't ripped it out.
In chromium with hardware acceleration is working i have not installed edge yet. Since we are not confirm if the system breaks due to edge or what we are just suspecting. And since the the error is random and sometimes doesn't show even in day or 2 so I'll wait couple of more hours then install edge and see if that break and will look for hardware acceleration again

And I'm not using chrome but the chromium browser.

Just so you're aware, it causes bugs in not just Chrome and Chromium, but also with Chromium-based browsers. It's weird. It doesn't happen for everyone and is hard to diagnose. I just disable it by default and call it good. After all, even though it's turned on by default doesn't mean it's actually doing anything. In fact, if you read the link, I have not a clue why it's enabled by default even if they have no plans on making it work.

In your browser, disable hardware acceleration.

Just so you're aware, it causes bugs in not just Chrome and Chromium, but also with Chromium-based browsers. It's weird. It doesn't happen for everyone and is hard to diagnose. I just disable it by default and call it good
I didn't even think of that since I don't use a Chromium based browser, I was trying to debug it from a clean installation because I was running out of ideas and then have them add some new stuff until the freezesh/crashes started happening again.

Mystery finally solved. I think

Luckily I broken the gnome of the debian then I thought about giving up on debian then installed popOs on UEFI and the installing error came i ignored and booted into popOs then system freezed after sometime. So it's because of UEFI when I installed debian on BIOS it didn't freezed. I'm installing the OS from ventoy so it's still a question why system aren't working with UEFI.

So it's because of UEFI when I installed debian on BIOS it didn't freezed. I'm installing the OS from ventoy so it's still a question why system aren't working with UEFI.
I've never seen this happen before, but sounds like more like an incompatibility between your motherboard's firmware and the efi binaries being installed. When you had Manjaro on your system was that en UEFI install too or a BIOS install at the time?

I've never seen this happen before, but sounds like more like an incompatibility between your motherboard's firmware and the efi binaries being installed. When you had Manjaro on your system was that en UEFI install too or a BIOS install at the time?
I can't remember

I can't remember
It's not an issue to still be using a BIOS booted system, just use that if that fixes the freeze/crash issues.

Members online