[poll] Would you like a chat integrated in Linux.org?

Do you want a Linux.org chat?

• Yes with integration for IRC and or Matrix

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes but only for the website

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I want to see results / Other (leave comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am on another BB and they have a chat integrated in their Forum. I guess people have learned to know each other here. On the Other BB the chat was really busy and gave a huge feeling af a community. Maybe we could have a chat here? For example a web chat in Linux.org with integration to IRC and / or Matrix?

I dislike chatting. I did offer to spin up a chat for the site in the past, but there wasn't much/any interest.

I dislike chatting. I did offer to spin up a chat for the site in the past, but there wasn't much/any interest.
Oh, okay that was before my time then. Should I delete the post, since it's already answerd before?

Nah, leave it up. It's harmless and who knows what will happen?

I also don't think we're going to get buy-in from our admin due to moderation issues. Which was one of the reasons why I was willing to spin one up elsewhere so that there'd be no official liabilities.

I also don't think we're going to get buy-in from our admin due to moderation issues. Which was one of the reasons why I was willing to spin one up elsewhere so that there'd be no official liabilities.
ah, okay that makes sense. Being a mod is a tough thing to do. I would have kept my Fedi Server up. But the moderation scared me away. it let's you question humandkind

The site has that post your status "whatchacallit" thingy. I believe that's enough. If any of them wants to talk, they can just pm another user.

How about an option: I find the forum personal messaging system more than enough to use to chat with other members.

Chat and forum generally don't mix in my experience. (Although I do like the liveliness of a chatroom, just not very chatty and slightly anti-social lol)

I've seen forums and message boards go nose up after adding a chat on the site. First (as mentioned) there is the moderation issue. Either the current mods will get extremely busy or separate chat mods will have to be appointed each with their separate needs and function. So this will create 2 camps which has the ability to divide a website and destroy the "old" feel. That's never a good thing.

The other thing what could (and probably would) happen is the decrease of posts in the forums themselves. Quick questions and quick answers without any lasting documentation on site. I've been a moderator on a few forums and bulletin boards where this thing happened and destroyed sites in weeks/months.

And then there's the 'ego-thing'. Direct communications in a chatroom on a website WILL create chat-room personalities who can dominate people's attention and will eventually have a small 'fan base' ON SITE in real time.
A website only has so many users and they can only be at one place at a time........

Prolly not a good idea altogether. :cool:

While having chatrooms makes conversations more instantaneous, sending PMs back and forth works perfectly fine, so if it's not broke, don't fix it

OP is getting rekt in the polls lol...

OP is getting rekt in the polls lol...
I do not agree. The OP is getting a definitive answer to their question. The trend seems strongly in one direction. When over 70% of people seem to agree on one choice in four, I would call that "consensus". That matches the current state of the poll as I type this.

I guess there's always the option of a Discord server, but then again, as others have stated, you've got the moderation issue.

We don't bother with this on the Puppy forums, which is one site where I moderate. BleepingComputer, however - the other place where I moderate - does have their own Discord server. It quickly became apparent over there - as mentioned above - that certain individuals were quickly dominating all sections, and in a few cases were spouting off some extremely anti-social, anti-community stuff as hard as they could.

90% of these were forthwith banned. The remaining few now don't go anywhere near Discord, and have calmed right down again, so.....

The existing staff are expected to moderate on Discord as well. Some of us, however, refuse to have anything to do with it, myself included.

Mike. :(

I do not agree. The OP is getting a definitive answer to their question. The trend seems strongly in one direction. When over 70% of people seem to agree on one choice in four, I would call that "consensus". That matches the current state of the poll as I type this.
Nah, he was trying to push for it and got rebuffed.

well that's a bit childish .. How would you know what my intend is? What would be my benefit?
People here generally do not want a live chat feature. Done and done.

Let's talk more about politics, religion, sex, the philosophy behind free software, or other taboo subjects that everyone is supposed to avoid at Thanksgiving dinner. :)

I agree with @tinfoil-hat, in that we'd not know this information had it not been asked. It's a perfectly good question with clear results.

Well, inasmuch as a self-selected poll with a limited audience can be 'data'.

nah not for me

Staff online

Latest posts