No sound in Ubuntu after installation - Tried a lot - nothing worked, please help. Desparate!

I can't see anything wrong there,
dose the laptop have a dedicated mute button?
In the past in Alsamixer the volume's were muted for me.
I had to use the right and left arrow keys to hover over each pdif, master and pcm and raise up the volume and un-mute.

[mm]- means muted and [oo] means unmuted-

Try opening your terminal like you did in post #9.
Use the right arrow key and move it to s/pdif 1 and while that column is highlighted press the upwards arrow and see if it raises the volume in the column.

If that doesn't work press F5 while in Alsamixer and see if it gives you more columns that you can raise up.
Should that fail, you may have to install PulseAudio if it's not installed.

To find out if PulseAudio is installed run:
Code:
dpkg -L pulseaudio

Hazarding a guess, the problem may be about firmware and driver. The driver is: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl, which may need the sof firmware. In debian the package with the firmware is: firmware-sof-signed. Ubuntu will have an equivalent package.

Perhaps run as root:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
dmesg | grep -i microcode
to see if the kernel identifies any deficits. If it does, rectify them with the relevant installation of packages. In any case, the sof firmware package, or packages, should be installed to see if they help in getting alsa to see the sound card.

Try opening your terminal like you did in post #9.
Use the right arrow key and move it to s/pdif 1 and while that column is highlighted press the upwards arrow and see if it raises the volume in the column.

If that doesn't work press F5 while in Alsamixer and see if it gives you more columns that you can raise up.
Should that fail, you may have to install PulseAudio if it's not installed.

To find out if PulseAudio is installed run:
Code:
dpkg -L pulseaudio
Alsamixer is not opening. So, I changed the kernel driver to snd_hda_intel and added
`options snd-hda-intel model=generic
options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0`
in the alsa-base.conf file.

Now aplay -l is showing:
** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and alsamixer:
1684998079047.png

Pressing the arrow key does nothing.
Pulseaudio is installed in my system.

What should I do now?

Hazarding a guess, the problem may be about firmware and driver. The driver is: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl, which may need the sof firmware. In debian the package with the firmware is: firmware-sof-signed. Ubuntu will have an equivalent package.

Perhaps run as root:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
dmesg | grep -i microcode
to see if the kernel identifies any deficits. If it does, rectify them with the relevant installation of packages. In any case, the sof firmware package, or packages, should be installed to see if they help in getting alsa to see the sound card.

I don't know what these commands do. But here is the output:
1684998216613.png

The dmesg output looks fine to me.

It looks like the installation needs the sof firmware because in post #18 the driver from the inxi output is thus:
Code:
Device-1: Intel Ice Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio
driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:34c8

It looks like the relevant package in ubuntu is: firmware-sof-signed. Here is a blurb on it: https://installati.one/install-firmware-sof-signed-ubuntu-22-04/.

The dmesg output looks fine to me.

It looks like the installation needs the sof firmware because in post #18 the driver from the inxi output is thus:
Code:
Device-1: Intel Ice Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio
driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:34c8

It looks like the relevant package in ubuntu is: firmware-sof-signed. Here is a blurb on it: https://installati.one/install-firmware-sof-signed-ubuntu-22-04/.
It is already installed in my PC.

Alsamixer is not opening. So, I changed the kernel driver to snd_hda_intel and added
`options snd-hda-intel model=generic
options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0`
in the alsa-base.conf file.

Now aplay -l is showing:
** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and alsamixer:
View attachment 15846

Pressing the arrow key does nothing.
Pulseaudio is installed in my system.

What should I do now?
Since you changed the kernel driver reboot and see if you have sound.

Have a look in your Pulseaudio settings and make adjustments, do a sound test as well.

For some reason, pulseaudio's user configuration files can become corrupt (unsynced?) in some way, and deleting them (and forcing fresh ones to be generated) fixes a no sound condition.

Hope that helps as I'm running out of ideas.

It is already installed in my PC.
That's useful. It would now be interesting to see a few more details such as the following:

Which sound modules and drivers the kernel actually loads:
Code:
lsmod | grep -i snd

What controls the sound devices"
Code:
fuser /dev/snd/*

Which sound server apps are running the sound system:
Code:
lsof /dev/snd/*

This may provide some hints about what may be missing.

lsmod | grep -i snd
Code:
$ lsmod | grep -i snd

snd_seq_dummy          16384  0
snd_hrtimer            16384  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     86016  1
snd_hda_intel          53248  3
snd_intel_dspcfg       36864  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_intel_sdw_acpi     20480  1 snd_intel_dspcfg
snd_hda_codec         176128  2 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core          114688  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_hwdep              20480  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               159744  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_seq_midi           20480  0
snd_seq_midi_event     16384  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            45056  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                77824  9 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device         16384  3 snd_seq,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              40960  3 snd_seq,snd_hrtimer,snd_pcm
snd                   114688  17 snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
soundcore              16384  1 snd

fuser /dev/snd/*
Code:
$ fuser /dev/snd/*

/dev/snd/controlC0:   1463  1464
/dev/snd/seq:         1462

lsof /dev/snd/*
Code:
$ lsof /dev/snd/*

COMMAND    PID        USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
pipewire  1462 surya-vivek   43u   CHR  116,1      0t0  442 /dev/snd/seq
pipewire  1462 surya-vivek   44u   CHR  116,1      0t0  442 /dev/snd/seq
pipewire- 1463 surya-vivek   26u   CHR 116,10      0t0  835 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 1464 surya-vivek   28u   CHR 116,10      0t0  835 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 1464 surya-vivek   33u   CHR 116,10      0t0  835 /dev/snd/controlC0

I also changed the "kernel driver in use"
Code:
$ lspci -nnk | grep -A4 Audio

00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller [8086:34c8] (rev 30)
    DeviceName: Onboard - Sound
    Subsystem: Device [2782:1a21]
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci_intel_icl

Thanks for running those commands. It's clear from the lsmod output that the sof module: snd_sof_pci_intel_icl, is not loaded. The next thing I would try, is to load it, as root:
Code:
modprobe snd_sof_pci_intel_icl
and see if that makes a difference.

The other thing that comes to mind is that you don't need pulseaudio if pipewire is running. Here is some output from a machine here:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lsof /dev/snd/*
COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
pipewire  1133  flip   46u   CHR  116,1      0t0  350 /dev/snd/seq
pipewire  1133  flip   47u   CHR  116,1      0t0  350 /dev/snd/seq
wireplumb 1134  flip   25u   CHR 116,16      0t0  598 /dev/snd/controlC0
wireplumb 1134  flip   27u   CHR 116,10      0t0  575 /dev/snd/controlC1

Here is a list of what's installed on a debian machine to have pipewire run:
Code:
 [flip@flop ~]$ dpkg -l | grep pipewire
ii  libpipewire-0.3-0:amd64          0.3.65-2  amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server
ii  libpipewire-0.3-common           0.3.65-2  all          libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - common files
ii  libpipewire-0.3-modules:amd64    0.3.65-2  amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - modules
ii  pipewire:amd64                   0.3.65-2  amd64        audio and video processing engine multimedia server
ii  pipewire-bin                     0.3.65-2  amd64        PipeWire multimedia server - programs
ii  pipewire-pulse                   0.3.65-2  amd64        PipeWire PulseAudio daemon

[flip@flop ~]$ dpkg -l | grep wireplumber
ii  libwireplumber-0.4-0:amd64       0.4.13-1  amd64        Shared libraries for WirePlumber
ii  wireplumber0.4.13-1                        amd64        modular session / policy manager for PipeWire

Bear in mind you need to translate to ubuntu.

Once pipewire and wireplumber are installed, and started by systemctl, pulseaudio is unnecessary. I can't say if pulseaudio is part of the problem from the output of lsof which shows both seemingly involved with the same files.

Perhaps run these commands, as user, to see what is actually running on your system if anything:
Code:
systemctl --user status pipewire.service
and
Code:
systemctl --user status pulseaudio.service

One would only want one of these sound servers running the sound system, and since you have pipewire, there's a point to go with that since it's said to be the future in this area.

If nothing is running, but say all of pipewire and its dependencies are installed, one can start the sound server as user with:
Code:
systemctl --user start pipewire.service

Last edited:
Wondering:

Looking at this:

Code:
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci_intel_icl

Could it be that the wrong module is loading first thus then causing the device not to work?

Moving this to the Ubuntu subforum

Wizard

I live booted into fedora and manjaro. Speakers are recognized but there is very little sound coming out of them. You need to keep your ears beside the laptop speakers (literally), even though I maxed out everything in alsamixer.

I also live booted into pop os and its dummy output there. Is this anything to do with debian based distro?

Last edited:
Here is some output from a machine here:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lsof /dev/snd/*
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
pipewire 1133 flip 46u CHR 116,1 0t0 350 /dev/snd/seq
pipewire 1133 flip 47u CHR 116,1 0t0 350 /dev/snd/seq
wireplumb 1134 flip 25u CHR 116,16 0t0 598 /dev/snd/controlC0
wireplumb 1134 flip 27u CHR 116,10 0t0 575 /dev/snd/controlC1

wireplumber is not installed. After installation, I rebooted and run the command again. But this is the output.

Code:
$ lsof /dev/snd/*

COMMAND   PID        USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
pipewire 1481 surya-vivek   49u   CHR  116,1      0t0  442 /dev/snd/seq
pipewire 1481 surya-vivek   50u   CHR  116,1      0t0  442 /dev/snd/seq

Code:
dpkg -l | grep wireplumber
ii  libwireplumber-0.4-0:amd64         0.4.8-4        amd64        Shared libraries for WirePlumber
ii  wireplumber                        0.4.8-4        amd64        modular session / policy manager for PipeWire
Code:
$ dpkg -l | grep pipewire 

ii  gstreamer1.0-pipewire:amd64                0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        GStreamer 1.0 plugin for the PipeWire multimedia server
ii  libpipewire-0.3-0:amd64                    0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server
ii  libpipewire-0.3-common                     0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         all          libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - common files
ii  libpipewire-0.3-modules:amd64              0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - modules
ii  pipewire:amd64                             0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        audio and video processing engine multimedia server
ii  pipewire-bin                               0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        PipeWire multimedia server - programs
rc  pipewire-media-session                     0.4.1-2ubuntu1                          amd64        example session manager for PipeWire
ii  pipewire-pulse                             0.3.48-1ubuntu3                         amd64        PipeWire PulseAudio daemon

I live booted into fedora and speakers are recognized but there is very little sound coming out of them. You need to keep your ears beside the laptop speakers (literally), even though I maxed out everything in alsamixer.

I also live booted into pop os and its dummy output there. Is this anything to do with debian based distro?
You have found fedora is more successful with the sound system, but it's still unsatisfactory. That is progress of a sort. This is a speculation: fedora is more up to date than ubuntu, and the other systems you've tried, which may mean that it's the newer kernel that is more readily able to deal with the sound hardware you have. It's not unusual for this to happen and there are a number of sound issues that have been resolved by upgrades like that and mentioned in forums. Fedora 38 has the 6.2 kernel, so that's something to consider.

In relation to whether it's anything to do with debian, I cannot say. Debian stable (called "bullseye") is way behind fedora in up to date software. Debian testing (called "bookworm") is about to replace debian stable in the next month or so, but bookworm is still on the 6.1 kernel, so fedora is more up to date. It's worth noting that debian bookworm uses pipewire as the default sound system.

If fedora 38 can now work the sound system, however poorly, it may be worth floating a query about this on the fedora forums of which there are a few. At least fedora, and presumably the latest kernel there, appears to have made steps unable to be made by other installations.

Excuse me...
Has this problem been resolved? because I have the same problem with the same laptop too

Excuse me...
Has this problem been resolved? because I have the same problem with the same laptop too
Welcome to the forums,
Unfortunately, not everyone reports back if they have solved their problem, which distribution are you using?
have you tried MX -ahs on your machine