More Linux Users Very Soon.

Yes you are right but, some normal users use the clones for example rockylinux. Because you have a long support time and a stable system.
From my experience on the Rocky Linux forums are people who use Rocky Linux to run their workstations on or other organization as well and those aren't the type of people that run ancient hardware. When you are talking about the average desktop user for example here on linux.org, I've yet to see anyone running a RHEL clone on ancient hardware. I mostly see people use the recommended lightweight distributions(Puppy, LinuxLite, AntiX, etc) on older hardware here, and most people here run something Debian, Ubuntu or Arch based. So in reality most RHEL clone users are the same type of users that would run RHEL except for they chose the alternative because of not needing a subscription.

From my experience on the Rocky Linux forums are people who use Rocky Linux to run their workstations on or other organization as well and those aren't the type of people that run ancient hardware. When you are talking about the average desktop user for example here on linux.org, I've yet to see anyone running a RHEL clone on ancient hardware. I mostly see people use the recommended lightweight distributions(Puppy, LinuxLite, AntiX, etc) on older hardware here, and most people here run something Debian, Ubuntu or Arch based. So in reality most RHEL clone users are the same type of users that would run RHEL except for they chose the alternative because of not needing a subscription.
In my experience some normal user use it too. The most are comming from the dead centos distro(R.I.P). I have installed some Centos to the pcs of family and friends and there are lucky with this os.
Some of us "Hobbyist" server users use RockyLinux on the vs2-free and they are Lucky too.
I think Rocky Linux is for users who dont want to have the stress with dist upgrades.
The problem is that redheat fight against his clones and nobody knows how long they are still present.

I have installed some Centos to the pcs of family and friends and there are lucky with this os.
Some of us "Hobbyist" server users use RockyLinux on the vs2-free and they are Lucky too.
I think Rocky Linux is for users who dont want to have the stress with dist upgrades.
I run Rocky Linux on my vpses too, but not on ancient hardware and I don't keep my hardware for more than 6 years.
The problem is that redheat fight against his clones and nobody knows how long they are still present.
If it becomes impossible at some point, I will either use a developer subscription or use Debian instead.

I run Rocky Linux on my vpses too, but not on ancient hardware and I don't keep my hardware for more than 6 years.

If it becomes impossible at some point, I will either use a developer subscription or use Debian instead.
Yes new hardware is good but, they forces there users to buy new hardware and this not good. If a machine still run why i will replace it. I have a amd pc from 2009 in my family. I have modifiet them with ssds and upgrade the ram to maximum possible. As internet and office pc this machine is more than sufficient and the most people today do only this 2 things.

If a machine still run why i will replace it

Efficiency is a good reason. Yes, you can perform many of the same tasks on an older computer - but it takes more energy to do so. Modern hardware is much more efficient.

I have mains power, but I generate more than I use with solar and wind. Keeping things efficient is a good thing for me. I'd figure it'd be a good thing for other people as well because that does impact all of us in one way or another.

Old computers make for a great hobby, but I wouldn't want to use them for my regular computing tasks.

I'd figure a decade is a good service life (though I don't use anything that old). Just make sure that your e-waste is getting properly recycled.

Those computers are ancient. They didn't run Windows well as it stands. They'll just stick with 10 for as long as they can, is my guess.
I have been dealing with windows 11, worst curse on the planet. I would wish it on my worst enemy.

The CPU issue with windows 11 affects computers that are 5 years old. So the issue is to force people to buy new and reach even deeper into your pockets.

There is a solution. I know this is a linux forum but this is how to get windows 11 on those computers.. This can be done in OOBE or before upgrade.

regedit
Navigate to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the value “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU”
enter 1 into the Value data field

There is a solution. I know this is a linux forum but this is how to get windows 11 on those computers.. This can be done in OOBE or before upgrade.

regedit
Navigate to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the value “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU”
enter 1 into the Value data field
I'd be curious to know if this actually works, it was said that they Bypass regedit would not work this time.
Bypassing this "critical" feature requirement will lead to a boot failure after Windows installs. Bob Pony tried bypassing all of Windows 11's 24H2 requirements with the command line argument "/product server" during the setup process; however, once the setup process was complete, the system failed to boot after restarting.

Windows has lost a lot of end users but in large part to Apple. I believe Linux needs to be able to offer better native support for MS applications like Office and gaming support, an area where I think Linux has real promise, needs to be broadened. Linux has already made in roads via Steam Deck which is essentially Arch based.

Of course we also now see a lot Linux in the corporate world via Redhat and Ubuntu, mainly, I believe, on servers. Who would have anticipated that, back in the day?

As for old hardware, I have converted a large number of antiquated laptops to Linux and it is a new lease of life. Given how hard things are getting economically for people, this may be a growing trend but I don't see it greatly increasing Linux's reach in the short to medium term.

Of course we also now see a lot Linux in the corporate world via Redhat and Ubuntu, mainly, I believe, on servers. Who would have anticipated that, back in the day?
Worldwide you will probably find more servers using Linux than Windows, Hell even Microsoft use Linux in house for the coding of windows development and run their cloud services

I believe Linux needs to be able to offer better native support for MS applications like Office and gaming support, an area where I think Linux has real promise, needs to be broadened. Linux has already made in roads via Steam Deck which is essentially Arch based.
That's never going to happen, unless Microsoft decides to write a Linux port of Microsoft Office. The day that happens, so will Adobe but that's going to be when the moon turns blue. Linux desktop will most likely never be mainstream because bad marketing and because the average Windows users doesn't want to have to choose 10 distributions and 10 different desktops and they just want to work. Also people don't like change meaning they like to stick to what works for them and what they are used to, so that wouldn't want to find alternatives to the software they are running on Windows now. It's not like Steam Deck made the Linux desktop more popular, normal people bought it because it is a handheld device that where games for the most part run out of the box without having to tweak with it and Valve dit good marketing for it.

Some people are very reluctant to any type of change and get stuck with what they have become familiar with. The computer I am currently using originally came with Windows10 but after headache after headache with Microsoft I learned more about Linux bit the bullet and switched. I first tried Linux on a old Acer computer with only 2 gb of memory. This machine has 8gb and came free from PCs for People. I have Linux Mint 20.2 installed on it. I am now a Linux user and will not switch back.
Always,
Wildman

I run a small business that specializes in putting people on Linux. Don't worry I also work on windoze and mac. The most popular reason I see for people coming to me for Linux is that they do not like one or more of the following policies from M$
1.. Forced updates
2.. Microsoft Accounts
3.. Not comfortable with M$ having so much control over the computer
4.. Don't want to make Bill Gates any richer (even tho he has not been with M$ for years)
5.. Bad experiences with Win 10 or 11
6.. Viruses

Linux is making progress mostly because the other people are taking away options and abilities in favor of control. Complexity of setting things up is not really a concern. I lost count of how many windoze products need tons of configure and work to run. In fact I have found things work easier and better on Fedora Linux than windoze and with less work. Linux just needs better marketing. If a lousy product that seems to be held together with duct tape and bubble gum like windows can take off, I would feel a stable product like Linux should have no issues.

Windows has lost a lot of end users but in large part to Apple. I believe Linux needs to be able to offer better native support for MS applications like Office and gaming support, an area where I think Linux has real promise, needs to be broadened. Linux has already made in roads via Steam Deck which is essentially Arch based.
Apple has the financial resources expand and develop their OSs that Linux doesn't have and never will have.

That's never going to happen, unless Microsoft decides to write a Linux port of Microsoft Office. The day that happens, so will Adobe but that's going to be when the moon turns blue. Linux desktop will most likely never be mainstream because bad marketing and because the average Windows users doesn't want to have to choose 10 distributions and 10 different desktops and they just want to work. Also people don't like change meaning they like to stick to what works for them and what they are used to, so that wouldn't want to find alternatives to the software they are running on Windows now. It's not like Steam Deck made the Linux desktop more popular, normal people bought it because it is a handheld device that where games for the most part run out of the box without having to tweak with it and Valve dit good marketing for it.
The day Linux becomes mainstream and compatible with Microsoft software will be the day that Linux becomes a polluted OS imo.

Leave Linux be Linux is fine just the way it is.

People leave Windows because of the problems and issues they seem to have and then want Linux to work the same as Windows.

Just don't make no sense to me.

Apple has the financial resources expand and develop their OSs that Linux doesn't have and never will have.

The day Linux becomes mainstream and compatible with Microsoft software will be the day that Linux becomes a polluted OS imo.

Leave Linux be Linux is fine just the way it is.

People leave Windows because of the problems and issues they seem to have and then want Linux to work the same as Windows.

Just don't make no sense to me.
Agreed, people want windows that works. So they look at Linux which is not and never will be windows.

I will stick to linux. I trust linux far more than micro$oft

sowhat is so good about mint anywa?
Interesting point that you bring up.
I do have a couple questions for you - - -
Which Linux distributions have you used?
Have you actually used Mint?
Thanks for posting your question.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

The older the wiser ...
No more religious debates
No more politics
No more health arguing
No more which is better Windows or Mac or Linux

How you want so spend your money fine, but consider our dying planet - that is one reason that pushed me to Linux, considering the super masochistic effort I have to spend to recover, reuse, repurpose my electronics.

oh yes, repurpose equipment is a linux basic.

I just spend 4 days trying to jailbreak an old phone to find out it can't be done due to the chipset. Made me feel great that I spent $1000 10 years ago for this device only to end up sending it to a landfill after 6 years. I should have just sent the $1000 as it would decompose much faster.

I run a small business that specializes in putting people on Linux. Don't worry I also work on windoze and mac. The most popular reason I see for people coming to me for Linux is that they do not like one or more of the following policies from M$
1.. Forced updates
2.. Microsoft Accounts
3.. Not comfortable with M$ having so much control over the computer
4.. Don't want to make Bill Gates any richer (even tho he has not been with M$ for years)
5.. Bad experiences with Win 10 or 11
6.. Viruses

7. Secret backdoor in windoze that m$ employees can enter your system and change...see or delete files.
t1434.gif

Linux provides alternatives to a good many Windows apps and the best part is they are all free. If one wants Windows apps they may be able to obtain them by using the Wine app from Linux. Doing a simple search will provide one with the alternatives. The only Windows apps I have are graphic related and are only PhoXo and IrfanView witch work. For my graphics I use Gimp witch is free. Once one learns more about Linux and what distro is best for them it becomes easier and I think they will say by by to Microsoft and any other pay operating system.
Always,
Wildman

Staff online

Members online