Mint Just As Buggy As Windows

I took a bet with myself that it would be you to spot that !!

I copied and pasted that from somebloodywhere...no idea where now.

Maybe swap?....huge swap?

35193.jpg

Found It...^^^^

I still have no idea, but my point was the partition sizes used....they are generous.

Last edited:

I can't say that Linux Mint is just as buggy as Windows however it ain't the great distro that everyone everywhere claims it to be.

I installed Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce on this desktop.

Code:
nelson@hp-pavilion-pc:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN556AA-ABA a6200n v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ECS model: Nettle2 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.12 date: 06/11/2007
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 3 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 11251
           Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 02:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 8400GS/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:05.0
           Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-66-generic
Network:   Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00
           bus ID: 00:07.0
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 76.69 GiB used: 10.62 GiB (13.8%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721680PLAT80 size: 76.69 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 74.49 GiB used: 10.62 GiB (14.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 51 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 167 Uptime: 6h 04m Memory: 5.81 GiB used: 905.3 MiB (15.2%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38
nelson@hp-pavilion-pc:~$

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce installed and updated OOTB just like all Linux distros do so no issues there.

One complaint is the loud popping noise when powering off or restarting the computer or most anything else involving clicking on an icon to start something as a Youtube video or starting or stopping a video from a DVD.

Second complaint is some windows do not fit within the size of my monitor no matter what I have tried with the exception of increasing the monitor resolution.

I've even installed and am using the Nvidia proprietary graphics driver which did install however none of the functions in the Nvidia control panel work.

Other than that Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce works OK.

I can live with the issues / bugs whatever they are however Linux Mint ain't the super fantastic Linux distro that most say it is.

To be fair I have the same popping noise issue using Linux Lite 5.0 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 focal fossa.

My apologies to @neezer for crashing into the thread just wanted to state my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this and thought of sharing Which Linux Mint version should you choose?
An excerpt:
Briefly, the available choices are the following:

• Cinnamon desktop: A modern touch on traditional desktop
  • MATE desktop: A traditional looking desktop resembling the GNOME 2 era.
  • Xfce desktop: A popular lightweight desktop environment.
The article gives in a short description for each Mint edition; looks, performance, features, pros/cons and ease of use. It accompanies those with some screenshots for each DE and htop running comparing resource usage. A good read and worth taking a look at for those thinking in using/installing/trying this distro but undecided on whether which version to download/try.

Partition 3 is for a future plan to move his /home directory to its own space, along with smallish quantities of data/pics/music in a second partition
Also, he wishes to impress his MIL and has offered to store her digitized pics on there as well.

Is that a bit much?

@Nelson Muntz , the loud popping noise can be gotten rid of by clicking Menu and typing in Sound

....then click on Sounds.......and in that space you are able to turn on/off the various sounds which are played when any the listed events take place.

I can't say that Linux Mint is just as buggy as Windows however it ain't the great distro that everyone everywhere claims it to be.

I installed Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce on this desktop.

Code:
nelson@hp-pavilion-pc:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN556AA-ABA a6200n v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ECS model: Nettle2 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.12 date: 06/11/2007
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 3 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 11251
           Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 02:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 8400GS/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:05.0
           Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-66-generic
Network:   Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00
           bus ID: 00:07.0
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 76.69 GiB used: 10.62 GiB (13.8%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721680PLAT80 size: 76.69 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 74.49 GiB used: 10.62 GiB (14.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 51 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 167 Uptime: 6h 04m Memory: 5.81 GiB used: 905.3 MiB (15.2%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38
nelson@hp-pavilion-pc:~$

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce installed and updated OOTB just like all Linux distros do so no issues there.

One complaint is the loud popping noise when powering off or restarting the computer or most anything else involving clicking on an icon to start something as a Youtube video or starting or stopping a video from a DVD.

Second complaint is some windows do not fit within the size of my monitor no matter what I have tried with the exception of increasing the monitor resolution.

I've even installed and am using the Nvidia proprietary graphics driver which did install however none of the functions in the Nvidia control panel work.

Other than that Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce works OK.

I can live with the issues / bugs whatever they are however Linux Mint ain't the super fantastic Linux distro that most say it is.

To be fair I have the same popping noise issue using Linux Lite 5.0 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 focal fossa.

My apologies to @neezer for crashing into the thread just wanted to state my opinion.
@Nelson Muntz
Hi Nelson,
I have tried the Xfce version of LM but did not find it to be as good as MATE. That's just my experience though. I have also tried Cinnamon but don't really care for that either.
With MATE I have had zero difficulties with almost any part of it.
I am using it on an HP desktop, Dell desktop, an HP laptop, ASUS laptop and an Acer laptop.
MATE just seems to be more stable than the others.
Just my opinion.
OG TC

Y'all have bugs that you just haven't noticed (or you've learned to behave differently).

That's why you get updates. They're not all security fixes, not even close. Most of you are using distros that are feature-locked, so your updates for system apps don't add new features.

Those dozen updates you get each week are (probably) at least 50% bug fixes.

How does one differentiate between feature locked distros and ones that are not feature locked?

If it's a 'stable' release then it is usually feature locked. So, say Ubuntu 18.04 is a LTS.

You'll have the same version of file.1.x.x throughout the whole release cycle. Even if file.1.x.x has a version 2.0, they'll backport the security fixes and increment the number to something like file.1.x.2 or whatnot.

Stuff you then installed using a PPA (in this case) may not be feature locked. System software, that is those things in the official repositories, will be locked. This is one of the reasons for using a LTS release.

So if a rolling release is adopted, then the features are not locked?

Yup. That's true as far as I know.

Let's look at Ubuntu 20.04. You'll have the Linux kernel of 5.4 - or (I think) 5.8 if you update to the HWE stack. For the life of support, you'll be on 5.4.x.x or 5.8.x.x. If you want a newer kernel, you can use the other versions - which are only supported for 9 months, such as 20.10 or 21.04 (to come). You can also manually install a newer kernel. But, if you do nothing but just accept the defaults, you'll be on either 5.4.x or 5.8.x for the duration of the support life.

The browser isn't the same, that may get updated. Then again, in some cases the browser is also the same - as they'll use Firefox ESR instead of the Firefox most folks are more familiar with. It depends on what the distro devs decide.

Mystifying.

A rolling release is usually cutting edge releases (sometimes to the point of bleeding edge) and you get the greatest new features with a chance of more breakage, bugs, or instability. This is great if you're using the absolute latest hardware, as the support is usually in the newest versions first and then trickles down to the older kernels.

Stable releases are consistent from start to finish, inasmuch as is reasonable. They don't change and are meant to be solid performers that can be depended on. As is sometimes said, "LTS doesn't stand for Latest Top Software."

As a general rule, I'm an LTS kinda guy. I don't have a ton of complex computing to do, so stability and consistency are something I value. So, I prefer the LTS release model. I don't much care about upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Also, if you want some confusion, there's hybrid releases - sometimes called 'semi-rolling releases'. PCLinuxOS uses that title, and I think a couple others do. But, they're somewhere between LTS and rolling releases.

Okay Buggy Mint user here now. Just finished the first build in years. Mint likes the AMD, the Ram it monitors correct temp inline with Bios. System sounds Blue and WIFI. The only thing running the new build thru its paces is no sound from the SATA from DVD.

Was cruising thru Hypnotix, Mint Free TV and sound is fine. The DVD played fine in VLC but no sound. Realtek audio on Board. Seen some "fixes" none have worked so far. It sees the output, but silence.

Is Pulse Audio Volume Control installed ?

Look in Software Manager

Y'all have bugs that you just haven't noticed (or you've learned to behave differently).

That's why you get updates. They're not all security fixes, not even close. Most of you are using distros that are feature-locked, so your updates for system apps don't add new features.

Those dozen updates you get each week are (probably) at least 50% bug fixes.
I do the updates when they come up. Perhaps that's why I don't have too many problems.
OG TC

Is Pulse Audio Volume Control installed ?

Look in Software Manager

Yep checked. Plays all sounds sys, web, just not SATA DVD. There is no SPDIF connectors anymore on the drive though there is on the MB. There was an Existing LiteOn DVD player left it and it works, plays sound in Win10. There is Power and SATA where the SPDIF used to be is just a blank hole.

Update.....I checked 1 DVD, I just grabbed one. Seems it just didn't like that one. Turned it on after above, threw in a different DVD, had no menu in VLC just played and was in French, top menu on VLC had English audio as second option, clicked that and POOF Sound and vid playing. So bug has been terminated. I'll check some more. ;)

Me thinks the point may have been missed. @neezer has fairly clearly stated that his pc ran really well for the best part of its first day.

Then....on the second it would not log in. I do not see any topic on this forum coming to the conclusion that insufficient root space was the problem......but if that fixed it then so be it.

Then... machine froze. What happened in the ‘inbetween time’ to cause this?....an update?....that would be unlikely at best. Perhaps insufficient space allocated for /home etc etc ?...just a wild guess on my part.

You need at least '3' Partitions in order to install any Linux Distro.. It just takes a 100 G.B. of Drive/Partition to install Linux decently.
Partition 1 : Root(/) : For Linux Core Files : 20 G.B. (Minimum 15 G.B.)

Partition 2 : Home(/home) : Drive for User Data : 70 G.B. (Minimum 30 G.B.)

Each time you add something.....an app/program etc etc it takes space.

WTF? Who uses that much space for /root?

My system:
Code:
Partition:
  ID-1: / raw-size: 238.04 GiB size: 233.25 GiB (97.99%) 
  used: 12.43 GiB (5.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 maj-min: 179:2 
  ID-2: /boot raw-size: 256 MiB size: 252 MiB (98.46%) used: 47.8 MiB (19.0%) 
  fs: vfat

Just a heads up folks :)

Since #mid-20s we've been going off-topic, with the exception of #39.

@Mike13Foxtrot , you should start a Thread in Linux Audio/Video to continue your probs.

TIA and Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts