Solved linux.org forum mails seems to be delivered with a delay

Solved issue

In the meantime, the forum itself gives notifications. You can refresh the pages and see those notifications. I manage to use the site without any email notifications except for a few older threads that are still active and predate me turning off email notifications.
I know that, I use those emails to be able to track topics I'm subscribed to when I'm away from my desktop because I don't log into website when I'm out and about on my phone because it's a pain for me to reply to forum topics on my phone but I do like to read those topics and sometimes those topics get lost because of the many topics we get and that is why the email notifications came in handy.

By nature, I am a patient man.
You mean before or after you know there is something going on ;) I'll be the first to admit that my patience about something depends on the situation and circumstances but I do understand and can bet patient for this although it is a bit frustrating.

@Rob is exceptionally busy.

More than that I do not know, but I'm going to go ahead and say that he's not dead or anything - he's just exceptionally busy.
I make no claims beyond that. I have no idea what his plans are for this problem.
I'm just going to say. I understand that people have real lives and can get busy. I'm also going to say there are mods that were appointed to take the the weight off of Rob's soldiers so that the forums can stay civil even when Rob is busy. I'm no mod material but I can find may way around with tech and Linux stuff. Could it be an idea to have another person appointed/volunteer for technical related stuff to the forum for when Rob gets too busy with real life stuff and of course that person would be in contact with the mods? I wouldn't mind volunteering for that, if help is needed with that or maybe @KGIII would be willing and has time for that as well if no one else is found trustworthy enough for that task?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind volunteering for that, if help is needed with that or maybe @KGIII would be willing and has time for that as well if no one else is found trustworthy enough for that task?

I dunno if I have the requisite skills for that. I'm also just a moderator, with very limited access to the system. So, I can't do anything about it at this time. I'd probably be willing to take a look though I have no idea what the infrastructure is like.

I'd probably be willing to take a look though I have no idea what the infrastructure is like.
That's why I said I'd be willing to help out if needed as well. I know I probably do have the technical skills, but the other point is Rob would need to trust me or someone else enough to do that.

That's why I said I'd be willing to help out if needed as well. I know I probably do have the technical skills, but the other point is Rob would need to trust me or someone else enough to do that.

I wonder how much we're at risk of the bus problem. Things like this make me think that such situations are not accounted for and that we'd be in quite a bit of trouble if our admin was hit by a bus.

As a business owner, still today even though I'm retired, the bus problem is one of the first things I seek to resolve when starting a new enterprise.

Here's a pic of the text message after connection to linux.org breaks:

linuxOops.jpg

It's the "other" message to the Cloudflare one with the images.

I have noticed you get that message sometimes when I visit the forums from my phone when not logged in, when I then switch to my desktop where I'm logged in I don't get that message. My it's a coincidence or maybe it's something.

I have noticed you get that message sometimes when I visit the forums from my phone when not logged in, when I then switch to my desktop where I'm logged in I don't get that message. My it's a coincidence or maybe it's something.
There may be something in that. In this case when that message appeared I was logged in on the desktop machine, all ready to write a reply to the forum, and was interrupted. I can't recall whether or not I was logged in on previous occasions when this same message appeared. Something to watch for.

I have not received an email since 14:00 this afternoon......and it was many hours late
That was 8 hours ago.

Doing really well here, @Rob
37620-cd4c2e2d1bcb81cee93b0ec1c8064679.gif

I have not received an email since 14:00 this afternoon......and it was many hours late
That was 8 hours ago.

Doing really well here, @Rob View attachment 18409
I am not bothering to report any more after this, some of the yesterdays were 6 hrs late not had any new ones yet this morning [been on line for just over 6 hrs]

I get that when the site is down and refreshing in a timely manner shows the CF error.

Day number 10.

What a joke this place is.

G Em C D (You could call that G a GM7, but G works just fine.)

(Should you want the chords.)

Shame we don't have an email system that will handle the expected extra workflow.
I don't believe we will get a lot of new Linux users because of those, those people will either not upgrade or eventually buy a new device, because from what I understood those are all devices from around 2005 that don't support that requirement.

what I understood those are all devices from around 2005 that don't support that requirement.

From my understanding, that's the case here. People are saying it impacts newer CPUs but the sources I'm familiar with put them in the mid-2000s range (when they were new CPUs). I commented about such in the original thread.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love an influx of new Linux users. I think Linux is awesome and makes for a viable desktop computer. You can customize it in a zillion ways or just use it largely as it comes installed. You can go for the bleeding edge to stability that lasts for a decade.

So, it is suitable as a desktop system. After all, there are millions of us already doing so and we have a satisfactory experience. It's not perfect, and it never will be, but it's a solution that solves problems.

And I will make my point again.....that in order to bring that solution to help bring about that suitability for any influx that may happen/is happening as we speak.....we do need an email system that is totally reliable.

What say you, @Rob ?

I noticed that a cloudflare helper add-on seemed to be generating quite a bit of noise .. i've disabled that and have also updated xenforo (the forum software) to it's latest update as we like to do.

Let's give that a minute and see what's what..

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts