Installing Linux on a Windows 10 PC

In the best option is, you would connect by hard-wire to the router when installing, then in most cases the correct wi-fi drivers will install, [if its an RTL chipset then usually you will have to manually install the correct drivers] so you will still need to either hard wire or teather a mobile phone to download the drivers.
Between a router ,a wireless adapter and a network adapter which one should I pick?
Also,do the exe files work on Linux?

which one should I pick?
whichever is best for you, BUT you may need to hardwire untill you have installed the correct drivers, in doubt run from a terminal inxi -Nn and paste back the results [you may have to install inxi from the repository]
do the exe files work on Linux?
NO exe files are windows only, if you want to run windows programs in Linux you will need a compatibility layer, WINE,Bottles,Play on Linux or similar there are other ways if you are planning on gaming, even then not all wind programs will run,

Is the GPU ATI RADEON HD 8490 compatible with Linux?
Can you install the drivers from the AMD website?

Is the GPU ATI RADEON HD 8490 compatible with Linux?
Can you install the drivers from the AMD website?
Run Ubuntu Live w/o installing it and see how the graphics performs on your screen.
Unless your computer is 10 years old or older your GPU should already have drivers and support in the kernel.

I've installed drivers form the AMD's website before and they were buggy. Best to just use what's already in the kernel.

Let us know how your installation goes.

RADEON HD 8490
This is an old card, the Linux Radeon drivers should load automatically [depending on you chosen distribution
from the terminal, run inxi -G and see if it has the amd/ati drivers installed

My Sony lappy is 10 years old and the AMD Radeon driver is in the kernel.
Code:
-sve151190x:~$  inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M] driver: radeon
  v: kernel

Gentlemen,

if I may interject for a moment, there is no such thing as a "windows 10" PC. It is only a PC. A personal computer. A device absent an operating system. Conflating one as an integral part of the other is wrongful and wholly responsible for the market dominance that Microsoft now enjoys, whereas the lack of proper competition has led to MS's descent into sloth, complacency and impertinence.

And while I might appear as a grammatical weasel of this topic, it is important to express separation of one from the other so to spread awareness and dispel the illusion of interdependence of one from the other.

Gentlemen,

if I may interject for a moment, there is no such thing as a "windows 10" PC. It is only a PC. A personal computer. A device absent an operating system. Conflating one as an integral part of the other is wrongful and wholly responsible for the market dominance that Microsoft now enjoys, whereas the lack of proper competition has led to MS's descent into sloth, complacency and impertinence.

And while I might appear as a grammatical weasel of this topic, it is important to express separation of one from the other so to spread awareness and dispel the illusion of interdependence of one from the other.
Well said and acknowledged:-:)

RH is a Linux os however; you have to pay for a subscription in order to run it.

RHEL is free for like three installations. You just need to sign up as a developer and use that username/password during installation.

Edit: More like 16, something like that. Read the documentation and see if you can figure out how many instances you get.

Last edited:
it had an Athlon 2x -6000 which ran at about 125 deg, 6 hard drives, 1 7.1 surround sound card, a top of the range graphics card and was on 24/7 the final straw was a power spike [we are on OH lines]
Yeah, those old X2s were right power-hungry so-and-sos. Could run quite hot, but like everything it all depends on what you were doing with it, what your cooling was like, how clean was it inside, etc, etc.

I was "gifted" my sister's old hand-me-down Compaq Presario desktop rig - an SR1619UK - in mid 2013. Came with a single-core Athlon64 3200+, running XP on an MSI Socket 939 mobo - HP's 'Amethyst M', with just a gig of RAM and a 160GB WD Caviar Black. All she ever used it for was playing The SIMs!

In fairly short order, it got maxed out to 4GB DDR1. I upgraded the CPU, along with the BIOS, to a dual-core Athlon64 X2 3800+ (basically two of the same core as the 3200+, so I knew it would run OK). Cost me all of £8 on eBay!

Spring 2014, I wiped XP out of my life and jumped in at the deep end with Ubuntu, literally overnight. No 'dithering' for me; I got the bit between my teeth and went for it. Learnt as I went along.

The Caviar Black was upgraded to a 500GB Caviar Blue. The PSU got upgraded to a 500W; I forget the make, but it was one hell of an improvement over the 'generic' silver-box 300W job it came with.....which, when I tested it, was barely putting out not much over half of that. I do know it was an 80-Plus rated 'Platinum' PSU, with the single rail set-up.

(I remember. It was a Cooler Master B50, with around 45A on the 12v rail. Ample, considering I was only running the integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics chip. And nothing else power-hungry, either.)

Eventually, the caps dried-out in early 2020, just before the pandemic hit. It got its annual spring-clean just after Xmas, and simply refused to boot again. At nearly 16 years old, it hadn't done badly, really. So I treated myself to my first new rig for ages, the current HP Pavilion mid-tower.

Here she is, tucked-away under the study desktop, some years ago (took a LOT of finding, this did!):-

uLQFXC0.jpg

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
@wolly :-

Um.....no. The article linked-to is saying that for the mentioned version of Ubuntu, that particular fglrx/Catalyst driver is no longer supported by AMD. If you read all the big banners at the top of that web-page, it clearly tells you the entire page is obsolete......because 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" went EOL nearly 2 1/2 years ago. It was released in April 2016, lasting 5 years as a Long-Term Support version, and in due course dropped out of support and went End-of-life in April 2021, entirely according to schedule.

I don't know who's responsible, but linking a beginner to out-of-date & obsolete information is NOT doing them any favours.

The Linux kernel/Ubuntu both fully support AMD & Nvidia GPUs, although support for older GPUs may be getting a bit 'patchy' now, since the kernel team do periodically prune support for older hardware. You can't support everything for ever; if you did, the kernel would by now be SO large it would be impossible to do anything with it!

With certain exceptions - primarily wireless adapters, printers AND GPUs - everything else is supported by drivers already within the kernel. Unlike Windows, where the onus is on the user to go chasing around all over t'internet to find the drivers they need, under Linux you periodically update the kernel.......and just like that, all your drivers are updated together at the same time.

Does that help to clarify things a wee bit?

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Hi,I want to change from Windows 10 to Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux because there is an app that I would like to use,

What are the advantages for using Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux over Windows 10?

Should I stay with Windows 10 or should I move to Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux?

I'm a noob at opperating system and I don't know which one to install on my PC!

What are your opinions?

Are both Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL)Linux and Ubuntu opperating systems? How do they differ from Windows?
If you have already decided to change to Linux, you must get your data backed up. All partitions of the hard disc might be merged.

Gentlemen,

Agreed and so true. Windows is just a mess of commercial software that seems to want to try to steal from linux and claim it as their own ideas.
Also I must chime in as I am a big fedora person. My suggestion is forget about red hat, please use the term fedora as that is what you would want to use. I highly recommend it as it is stable and easy to find software for. It is free to use as much as you want. So FORGET ABOUT RHEL and just go with fedora or ubuntu. Both are equally fine however unless you have 8G RAM I would not use the GNOME desktop. fedora allows other desktops like cinnamon and lxde etc etc. So you can go lightweight with fedora. Mint tastes too much like windows to me. sorry to all you mint people. But we are all on the same side linux vs windows

Members online