Installing Chrome on Linux

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
Firefox is installed and used.

Some Apps I need to use work only with Chrome.

Multiple attempts to download Chrome have failed.

Download doesn't start.

I disabled the Defender, still no download.

Does anyone have suggestions?

what is the 'defender' you speak of ?

Where are you trying to download the file from?

Click the download link (and pick the 64 bit .deb file) from here:

Download that and then you can install it. As you're using Mint, you should be able to just double click on the .deb and it will open the software installation tool needed. Follow the instructions from there.

OR....click on menu...type in Software manager...type Chrome into the search box there.....you will then see the below :
2024-04-09_07-19.png

Hi Brian @Condobloke
that's just what I was going to say, it is always best [and I am sure I have already told the OP] to use the distribution repository and software manager to install applications

I am still wondering about this "Defender" thing. That is a windoze only thing.

I am still wondering about this "Defender" thing. That is a windoze only thing.
agreed.

I am thinking the OP just got a bit confused, having just swapped over from windows etc....it is a time of great stress and anxiety

perhaps the OP is still using windows and installed Linux inside windows like a VM. Definitely NOT the way to experience Linux

OP is an older gentleman and just installed the current version of Linux Mint yesterday.

It's a Linux-only installation, without dual-booting or anything like that.

from one of his other threads.... "When it came to the decision of playing with it or doing a full install, I went with wiping out everything and Linux is on the entire disk. It feels well."

I think we should figure out the "defender" thing. It is an anomaly that hopefully is confusion and not something he installed. If it is installed which I think it is because he said it was disabled, then there could be other issues we should help him address early on.

With what was said

Multiple attempts to download Chrome have failed.

Download doesn't start.

I disabled the Defender, still no download.

... I believe the OP may be referring to a browser tool such as Ublock Origin or other, that is preventing a popup window from appearing.

Just my two cents.

Wizard

. I believe the OP may be referring to a browser tool such as Ublock Origin or other, that is preventing a popup window from appearing.

Just my two cents.
Possible, but if the OP was to use the repository/software manager in Mint ,then he should not have this problem

Oh I agree - I was responding to the speculation between @APTI and @Condobloke regarding "defender".

Wiz

I was responding to the speculation between @APTI and @Condobloke regarding "defender".
I still have the opinion, why would you use/trust a Microsoft program for security, when we have equally good [if more basic] applications in LINUX

You wouldn't, and he wasn't. lol.

He has Linux only on his computer, now.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts