Installing Chrome on Linux

I have been following the OP's post since he joined , and tried to help him, He may have got rid of the Windows, but the blinds appear to still be firmly shut, Like many in the past he is having mindset problems in not letting go of Windows.

I still have the opinion, why would you use/trust a Microsoft program for security, when we have equally good [if more basic] applications in LINUX
Anything that has Linux support is better than clamav, gets a bit better with optional signature databases but still then not better than 99% of the AV products out there.

Anything that has Linux support is better than clamav, gets a bit better with optional signature databases but still then not better than 99% of the AV products out there.

What some here don't understand is that certain applications require Chrome and don't work with anything else. I avoided Chrome as long as I could in the early 2000s, but when it came to either I could do what was needed or give up Chrome, I chose to move ahead on my path.

I feel the same towards Chrome that many here have expressed, the difference is that what I am doing requires it and there are no workable alternatives. For example, one application only works with a Chrome extension.

Chrome And Badger.png

With what was said

... I believe the OP may be referring to a browser tool such as Ublock Origin or other, that is preventing a popup window from appearing.

Just my two cents.

Wizard

I did mis-state. It was Privacy Badger, shown in the screenshot with the webpage where it failed repeatedly to download the Windows file.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same towards Chrome that many here have expressed, the difference is that what I am doing requires it and there are no workable alternatives. For example, one application only works with a Chrome extension.
They were talking about Defender, suggesting that clamav is better which it is not. You don't necessarily have to use Google-Chrome, you can still use Chromium which is what Google-Chrome is based on and also has access to the Extension store.

Like many in the past he is having mindset problems in not letting go of Windows.

Brian, people the age of you, I and the OP (@Emanate Presence ) may have used Windows for. 25 years.

For many, that is not an easy mindset to change.

The OP has taken significant steps already, in replacing his Windows with Linux. Cut him some slack.

Wizard

You wouldn't, and he wasn't. lol.

He has Linux only on his computer, now.

That is correct. Only Linux.

A little of my Windows history. In the mid nineties I worked for a company in Atlanta that was transitioning from typewriters to computers, and as I was the most computer literate, helped them navigate that stormy sea. It was still DOS, and when Windows became the obvious direction, I was paid to attend a Windows 3.0 workshop. However, as I was leaving the house, my wife of 25 years handed a paper through the car window and asked me to sign it for a divorce. It is the Aspergers and misophonia, they are relationship killers.

I never made it to the workshop and had some emotional trauma towards Windows but overcame that and eventually became a moderately proficient user.

Then, around 2011, I was moving from Germany to the Canaries when my briefcase with a new 17" HP Windows laptop with all accessories and setup just the way I liked was stolen, including my wallet and passport. There is much more to this story. Anyway, that set me back a bit and as we continued our travels between the Americas and Europe, we each got an iPad, you know the tablet with only a touchscreen and virtual pop up keyboard. I had a heck of a time adapting to it, much resistance, but worked through that and let go of a lot, and could manage most things I wanted to do up until recently, after two and a half years on the Azores, where due primarily to our crypto investments, the iPad was too limiting. We are holding for a better Bull market price, as we are still paying off debt from my social security of $1060 per month. We have to sell some ADA each month to supplement, and believe me it hurts to see our choices dwindle.

As we never fully recovered from our financial setback and never made a lot anyway in the world where giving highly attentive care to the vulnerable populations is not as well paid as flipping burgers at McDonalds, I sold some crypto, our hedge for a better future, and bought a refurbished ThinkPad over Amazon for 270 Euros, and did a full install of Linux Mint Cinnamon Virginia. That is where I am now. I have no blinders on and see better than most.

Brian, people the age of you, I and the OP (@Emanate Presence ) may have used Windows for. 25 years.

The OP has taken significant steps already, in replacing his Windows with Linux. Cut him some slack.

Wizard

Thank you for your compassion, wizardfromoz. I think my response to another post bears repeating here.

That is correct. Only Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note @Emanate Presence - in two of your posts above, you are repeating large chunks of text from previous posts, at the end of new input.

I will allow a few minutes and then I can delete them or you can.

They are #24 and #29.

Wizard

I have cleaned them up.

Nite all.

Wizard
You can include me in that list. All the way from Windows 2.1 to EOL for XP... (Jeez. 26 years.....Gack!!)
puke-small.gif

The difference with me was that, when I moved to Linux, I was absolutely fed-up to the back teeth with Windows, and was more than ready for a change. Until I Googled "Free operating systems" on that fateful day in the spring of 2014, I had no idea there were so many to choose from!

I downloaded Ubuntu, wiped Windows out of my life, and dived in head-first. Sure, there WAS something of a learning-curve, but nowhere near as steep as others had made out (at least, not for me).

I adapted fairly quickly, and thoroughly enjoyed being in control of my computing for the first time in a very long while. I moved full-time to 'Puppy' in mid-2015, and have never looked back.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With regard to Chrome, the OP does in fact have quite a wide choice here. Many browsers use the Chromium code-base, and thus have access to the App Store. This gives the choice of

• Chromium itself​
  • Chrome (which is but a derivative)​
  • Brave
  • SRWare's Iron browser (my favourite Chrome replacement)​
  • Opera
  • FlashPeak's Slimjet
  • Vivaldi
  • .....and even M$'s Edge for Linux browser (Sorry!) :oops:

Any of these will be able to access, install and make use of whatever extension the OP wishes to run from the Chrome App Store.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Did you ever get Chrome installed?

You can include me in that list. All the way from Windows 2.1 to EOL for XP... (Jeez. 26 years.....Gack!!)
puke-small.gif

The difference with me was that, when I moved to Linux, I was absolutely fed-up to the back teeth with Windows, and was more than ready for a change. Until I Googled "Free operating systems" on that fateful day in the spring of 2014, I had no idea there were so many to choose from!

I downloaded Ubuntu, wiped Windows out of my life, and dived in head-first. Sure, there WAS something of a learning-curve, but nowhere near as steep as others had made out (at least, not for me).

I adapted fairly quickly, and thoroughly enjoyed being in control of my computing for the first time in a very long while. I moved full-time to 'Puppy' in mid-2015, and have never looked back.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With regard to Chrome, the OP does in fact have quite a wide choice here. Many browsers use the Chromium code-base, and thus have access to the App Store. This gives the choice of

• Chromium itself​
  • Chrome (which is but a derivative)​
  • Brave
  • SRWare's Iron browser (my favourite Chrome replacement)​
  • Opera
  • FlashPeak's Slimjet
  • Vivaldi
  • .....and even M$'s Edge for Linux browser (Sorry!) :oops:

Any of these will be able to access, install and make use of whatever extension the OP wishes to run from the Chrome App Store.

Mike. ;)

Wow! That's news to me! Will definitely check it out, thanks. My setup in photo:View attachment 19348View attachment 19348

Brave Installed, looks like a great tip!

Any suggestions for the Settings, with so many choices of extensions, etc.?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-10-06.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-10-06.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-15-06.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-09 17-15-06.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.. and WHY. antivirus is pointless to us linux people. Only good for keeping viruses from passing through to windoze. But as mentioned we have much better AV than what Mico$oft gives us. IMHO if you are going to fill your linux up with M$ crap, might as well just use Windoze.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.. and WHY. antivirus is pointless to us linux people. Only good for keeping viruses from passing through to windoze. But as mentioned we have much better AV than what Mico$oft gives us. IMHO if you are going to fill your linux up with M$ crap, might as well just use Windoze.
I was just pointing out that it is possible but defender is aimed at companies who make use of more of their services, I wasn't advising to on someone's personal system.

I was just pointing out that it is possible but defender is aimed at companies who make use of more of their services, I wasn't advising to on someone's personal system.
so M$ is taking aim at the uninformed. I did not consider you doing it. I was saying in general

Staff online

Members online