I can't find amdgpus firmware(dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools)

kusunoki576

Reaction score
Credits
Hi.
I installed Kali Linux 2022 on my notebook.

My notebook has two gpus.
$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev ff)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c2)

So, errors happened when apt install initramfs-tools.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/beige_goby_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I copied firmwares from kernel.org.
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
$ sudo cp ./firmware/linux-firmware/amdgpu/* /lib/firmware/amdgpu/

But these errors are remaining.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
raspi-firmware: missing /boot/firmware, did you forget to mount it?
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//z50-raspi-firmware exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools

Please teach me how to solve these errors.
(I used deepl, sorry for bad English.)

Last edited:

For missing amdgpu firmware have a look here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu

here is example for one you are missing - Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
when you see it listed on the above webpage now right click and open in new tab you will see this page - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...ware.git/tree/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish2_mec2.bin - toward the top left of the page you will see
blob: 9615286f965fe7e27008eaa52239dd4a57f30b29 (plain) - you want to click the (plain) and save the file - next you need to put it in /lib/firmware/amdgpu folder you will need to be root to do it

You have to do this for each missing firmware

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you new to Linux?? Please read first and third post in the Kali forum

For missing amdgpu firmware have a look here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu

here is example for one you are missing - Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
when you see it listed on the above webpage now right click and open in new tab you will see this page - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...ware.git/tree/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish2_mec2.bin - toward the top left of the page you will see
blob: 9615286f965fe7e27008eaa52239dd4a57f30b29 (plain) - you want to click the (plain) and save the file - next you need to put it in /lib/firmware/amdgpu folder you will need to be root to do it

You have to do this for each missing firmware
Thank you very much.
I was able to resolve these errors.