xD1G0x

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, it's me, xD1G0x,
I am new in Forums and in Linux too. I don't have any Linux OS yet, but I'm thinking about having one. So, I have a question for you: Can I run Linux on my Laptop and which one? I know, you can't answer to this question until I post information about my Computer. So here it is:

Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 1833 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 4,00 GB (2,99 GB usable)
System Type: 32-Bit X86-based PC
BIOS Version/Date: LENOVO 79ETC9WW (2.09), 2006.12.22
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphic information:
Name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 256 MB
OpenGL version: 1.4

Computer: LENOVO
Version: T60

I think that's all I need to provide to you to get answer.

My correct OS: Windows 7 32-Bit

But I still want to get Linux.

Waiting for response, xD1G0x

Hi @xD1G0x, and welcome! This link confirms that your CPU is 32-bit only, and that is your main limiting factor. Many of the Linux distros are now turning away from further 32-bit development, but there are still some very fine systems available that may work well on your computer.

The best thing to do is try some out and see what you like. I would suggest a couple to start with... Linux Mint 19 (with the MATE or XFCE desktop) and Peppermint OS 9. These are both available in 32-bit versions. You will need to download the .iso file and "burn the image" to a DVD or USB flash drive that you can boot on.

Your computer may be too old to boot from USB, and you may only have a CD drive and not a DVD... but if both of these situations are true, there is still a way to boot Linux that we can explain if needed.

There are a few other distros that we can recommend too. But just to get started now and learn the first steps to boot and install any Linux should keep you busy for awhile.

Cheers

Hi, it's me, xD1G0x, can I run first on VirtualBox those version to test them?
And thank you for fast reply.

Your laptop does not support PAE.

There are various leads on the Linux Mint site. One says
Booting with non-PAE CPUs
To boot Linux Mint on CPUs which do not officially support PAE (Pentium M processors for instance), please use the "Start Linux Mint with PAE forced" option from the boot menu.
Source - https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

There is also
Processor without PAE support?
5. Does your computer have an old processor without PAE support? For many non-PAE processors from the Intel Pentium M series and Intel Celeron M series, PAE support can be forced. Which makes them fit for Linux Mint 19 after all.

You can force PAE upon such a Pentium/Celeron M processor by selecting Start with PAE forced in the boot menu from the Mint DVD. You can make that boot menu visible by interrupting the automatic boot, by hitting the space bar during the countdown.
Source - https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint#TOC-Processor-without-PAE-support-

It looks like you're doing the steps correctly, so it is surprising that it is not working. If you are able to burn the .iso image to a DVD or USB and boot on it, I would try that now.

Your problem may be with VirtualBox. Maybe it has a setting to allow PAE, but I am not familiar with such a setting.

Well, that's a bummer. There may be ways to tweak VirtualBox to work with Mint, but there may also be some incompatibility that makes it impossible.

And this is all about why people need to try out different versions.... sometimes some of them won't work, while others seem to work just fine.

I think i would move forward from here and start trying some others. You may have to "force PAE" with other distros too, so that is still a good lesson learned from @arochester!

If you can't get anything to work at all in VirtualBox, then you will have to try DVD or USB booting. That still may work.

If you can't get anything to work at all in VirtualBox, then you will have to try DVD or USB booting. That still may work.

What do you mean? Like to put ISO file to disk [burn] and reboot my PC, change boot settings to boot from disk or something else?

What do you mean? Like to put ISO file to disk [burn] and reboot my PC, change boot settings to boot from disk or something else?
Yes, that is it exactly. But to "burn" is a special setting for DVD... not just "copy" or else it will not boot the computer. It must be DVD because CD is too small.

When you boot Linux on DVD, you are running in "live mode" and you do not have to install it, but you can if you want. It runs a little slow on DVD, but is good to test your hardware that everything works.

I'm at work and can't search too well from my phone. Windows 7 does not always have the right software, but there are free programs that will let you do this... the task is usually called "burn image" and the Linux .iso is an image file.

But let's be sure... you have a DVD-RW drive and not CD-RW. And do you have some blank DVD's?

I will try to find a program for you.

I don't have DVD disk yet, but I will buy it later. And I guess I have DVD driver:
MATSHIBA DVD-RAM UJ-842 ATA Device

Members online