Hello All

dunmoven

Reaction score
Credits
Used Red Hat back in 80's a long time ago (Oooops dated myself), then life got in the way ...

A little while ago I finally woke from my Windoze nightmare and started using some of my old favorites (Thunderbird, Gimp, Abi Writer, etc ...) through the Linux developer mode on my Acer Chromebook. So I have been Windows free for a couple years now and feel a bit like a recovering addict ...:rolleyes:

Well this Crostini adventure awakened the GNU bug again and my "new to me" System76 Darter Pro arrives Saturday from an eBay seller. It is a fairly new (darp8) machine with a new 1T ssd and a new battery. Feel a bit like a child on Christmas Eve ... :D

Ready to dive back in with both feet. Wish me luck and I hope some of you will be willing to stand at the side of the pool with a lifesaver ring should the need arise.

Last edited:

Hello @dunmoven,
Welcome to Linux.org forum, enjoy the Journey!

Welcome to the forums, young'en

Welcome aboard and you might wanna get your memory checked. Red Hat didn't exist until like 2000, while Linux wasn't released until 1991.

my "new to me" System76 Darter Pro arrives Saturday

Sweet! Do keep us updated and let us know how you like it.

Welcome aboard! :)

My first experience with Linux was around '94, (Zipslack8), but didn't get around to installing until I found some old books with CDs in them, RedHat 4.2 & 5, plus Debian 2.? (Potato, I think).......then it was down the slippery slope, until full time Linux user of Debian in 1999.

(As KGill says, memory probably playing tricks on you..... ;) )

Welcome to the forums :)

Happy to see you kicked your addiction :D

Can't play tricks since i don't have one, memory that is ... can't remember where i left it ...:rolleyes:

That's where i got distros then also, and bookstore (remember them) had linux magazines (from uk if i remember right :rolleyes:) with disks in back.

Oh yes, floppy discs then CDs on magazines, back in my 'distro hopping' days...... :D

(I must be slightly younger then....) :p

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and you might wanna get your memory checked. Red Hat didn't exist until like 2000, while Linux wasn't released until 1991.

Sweet! Do keep us updated and let us know how you like it.
Yes, redhat was around before 2000

History[edit]​

In 1993, Bob Young incorporated the ACC Corporation, a catalog business that sold Linux and Unix software accessories. In 1994, Marc Ewing created his own Linux distribution, which he named Red Hat Linux[13] (associated with the time Ewing wore a red Cornell University lacrosse hat, given to him by his grandfather, while attending Carnegie Mellon University[14][15][16]). Ewing released the software in October, and it became known as the Halloween release. Young bought Ewing's business in 1995,[clarification needed] and the two merged to become Red Hat Software, with Young serving as chief executive officer (CEO).

Red Hat went public on August 11, 1999, achieving—at the time—the eighth-biggest first-day gain in the history of Wall Street.[13

They did go public until abotu 1999 or so. But I used Redhat in I belive 1997 or 98.
More history here.

Yes, redhat was around before 2000

I thought it looked funny when I typed it out. That's when "RHEL" showed up. I should probably have checked that one.

'Tis still beyond the late 80s, though their memory was closer (and mine was just terrible).

Actually, let me check that one too...

Yeah, that's what it was. That was in my auto-selection history so I must have visited that page recently.

Since Linux was not available as a Kernel until 1991/92 Redhat/ any linux was not available until at least 91 :)

Guess i will retreat quietly to a corner of the room now ...:rolleyes:

"better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

Guess i will retreat quietly to a corner of the room now ...:rolleyes:

We're all old. Ask half of us what we had for lunch last Tuesday and you'll likely see evidence of that.

Remember what I had for lunch ... for the life of me can't even remember IF I HAD LUNCH ...:oops::D

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Got the post office app on my cell phone. Every time there is a status change in the shipping of my "new" laptop it sends me a text.

That was a big mistake, as every time the phone notification tone goes off I jump ...:p

Going to post office when they open in morning and save them the trip to my house.

G'day from DownUnder @dunmoven and welcome to linux.org :)

On Redhat, to settle the dust -

Redhat first non-beta official release May 13 1995, by Bob Young and Mark Ewing.

However Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) was March 2002.

But who's counting?

If it's a consolation, you're younger than all but 2 of the current assembly (except I don't know the age of the black dog who thinks if he wears dark sunglasses we won't see him - a fellow Aussie), and we have one fellow here who will be 89 in November.

...and I hope some of you will be willing to stand at the side of the pool with a lifesaver ring should the need arise.

Hope the pool is heated, but, yeah, we've got your back.

Enjoy, and

Avagudweegend, all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome! ... and your intro turned into a cool thread too. Sweet.

I have that lifesaver ring on standby for you. Be wary. Despite the best intentions, it could turn out to be one of those "room decorator" ones that do not float. :-(

Members online

Latest posts