Greetings

JP1

Reaction score
Credits
Been around computers professionally since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but always on the Microsoft side. I have tried various Linux distros over the years, but there was always that one driver missing, or clunky interface, or something that made me not want to stick with it. Probably been 10 years since I last tried it.

Fast forward to present time and I had an old desktop PC lying around that I thought I would see if I could bring it back to life with Linux, and I installed Mint w/Cinnamon. Wow, I was blown away! I couldn't believe how refined, responsive and gorgeous the GUI is. I'm now MS free on all of my personal computers, and even have a couple of Linux servers up at work. Still a novice though, so I'm sure I'll have questions.

Hello @JP1,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, enjoy the journey!
Mint is a good choice and it will give you good service.

G'day @JP1 and welcome to linux.org :)

I put a beer on your post initially, but since reading

I'm now MS free on all of my personal computers,...

I am going back to change it to a Love.

I am 66 in a couple of weeks, and after 25 years with the other OS, made the break in 2014 and went totally Linux, haven't looked back.

Enjoy

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Reactions: JP1
G'day JP, Welcome to Linux.org

All people who have good taste are welcome...it took you a while, but we are very forgiving.

I know what you mean in your praise of LM 21.2(cinnamon)

It is, indeed, spectacular.

be aware that the people at Linux Mint also make another OS....LMDE ....currently on version 5, but version 6 will out of beta in a few weeks. Well worth a look. It is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu.

Questions?......fire away !

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Welcome to the forums young'en .
Sit back, kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the journey that is Linux

Welcome aboard. :)

be aware that the people at Linux Mint also make another OS....LMDE ....currently on version 5, but version 6 will out of beta in a few weeks. Well worth a look. It is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu.
I do like Debian, so I might just give that a look after v6 is available.

LMDE is a good choice also. Stable and solid I believe @Brickwizard uses it.
I use Straight Debian 12 on one machine here. Is one of the best Debian releases I've used.

Last edited:
Guys Debian 6 isn't a very old version? like 2011 or so? what do you mean by Debian 6? The current version is 12

Guys Debian 6 isn't a very old version? like 2011 or so? what do you mean by Debian 6? The current version is 12
@kc1di said

LMDE is a good choice also. Stable and solid I believe @Brickwizard uses it.
I use Straight Debian 6 on one machine here. Is one of the best Debian releases I've used.
it is LMDE 6 he is talking of

I use Devuan..... :D

LMDE 6 won't be released until December I believe.

I use Straight Debian 6 on one machine here.

Just a typo folks, forgive him, he's in his 70s... oops so is Brian ;)

Hey @JP1 Welcommen
i use PopOS since im a Gamer worked well for me so far.

I do like Debian, so I might just give that a look after v6 is available.
This Debian book is a real gem and may come in handy for you later.

This Debian book is a real gem and may come in handy for you later.
Hey thanks - I'll check that out! I recently stood up a Debian server as a file share, so this may come in handy.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts