Go To Browser Extensions

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits
After a fresh OS install, what is your go-to browser and extensions you must install first?

For me it's Firefox with extensions BitWarden, Ghostery and Dark Reader.

Brave is another good browser btw.

uBlock Origin, Forecastfox, Dark Reader, NordVPN, Auto Tab Discard, Stylish, Tamper Monkey, Session Buddy, Picture In Picture, and then a bunch more depending on the browser's purpose.

I have many open tabs across multiple browsers. Each browser is used in isolation, for different tasks.

Many of the extensions aren't visible 'cause I use Chromium based browsers more often than not.

Brave Browser.

With BitWarden, Grammar and spell checker, Homey, WebRTC leak shield, Zig Scroll Bar.

Runs like a charm, 99% of the time.

I do pay particular attention to the settings.

I have been trialing Grammarly in one browser, but it's not the browser I use for this forum.

It's okay.

It's easy to whitelist a site in uBlock Origin. I have long since unblocked this site, and I even click ads that legitimately interest me.

I can relate to having a readership smart enough to block ads.

It's easy to whitelist a site in uBlock Origin. I have long since unblocked this site, and I even click ads that legitimately interest me.

I can relate to having a readership smart enough to block ads.
I have been meaning to address the ads on the site - they do seem a little aggressive. It used to be you'd put some code for a 728x90 in the header .. a 300x250 or 2 in the sidebar, but then google got fancy and you put the ad code in the site and it just goes where it wants to go :/

Firefox. Ublock Origin, Noscript, bitwarden, cookie autodelete, dark reader, Firefox translations, mastodon share.
Plus I change a bunch of settings.

I use Brave Browser now...much better than Firefox.

Brave Extensions...Adblock...Click and Clean...DuckDuckGo Pricacy...Auto Tab Discard...Browsec VPN...Decentraleyes...Disconnect...Easy WebRTC Block...History and Cache Cleaner -Smart Clean...IP Whois and Flags...HTTPS Everywhere...IDN Safe...TrafficLight...No Miner...Privacy Badger...Ublock Origin...DNS Checker.

The extensions mentioned by @Rob ....I found to be interesting !

IPVFoo, & wappalyzer ...I had never heard of.

brave has to be the better of the available browsers....simply because you do not have to overload it with extensions to get reasonable results

Reactions: Rob
I have been meaning to address the ads on the site - they do seem a little aggressive. It used to be you'd put some code for a 728x90 in the header .. a 300x250 or 2 in the sidebar, but then google got fancy and you put the ad code in the site and it just goes where it wants to go :/

You can still set up individual ads and (depending on what's behind the scenes) place the ads where you want. I do nothing of the sort. I opt to let Google do what Google is gonna do, figuring they're better at it than I am. So, where and what ads are entirely up to Google.

Once in a while there's an experiment to run, but that's about it.

Some interesting choices. I can use a grammar extension!
And seems everyone has an ad blocker too. I prefer Ghostery for that. But I've heard great things about uBlock also.

FF. GB English dictionary, Facebook container, ghostery, u-block original, u-tube ad blocker

Google Chrome because it's fast ...
G C only because it's a hassle to maintain others, browsers are attacked almost daily ...
and I need Nordvpn extension because I am a long term subscriber, and they cannot write a proper interface for Linux users. Yeah, if you shop around for a VPN and don't use systemd, keep this in mind.
G can spy on me all they can, because EasyOS has an amnesic button.;)

Google Chrome because it's fast ...
G C only because it's a hassle to maintain others, browsers are attacked almost daily ...
and I need Nordvpn extension because I am a long term subscriber, and they cannot write a proper interface for Linux users. Yeah, if you shop around for a VPN and don't use systemd, keep this in mind.
G can spy on me all they can, because EasyOS has an amnesic button.;)
I've had issues with ExpressVPN on Linux but was able to get PIA working.

I need Nordvpn extension because I am a long term subscriber, and they cannot write a proper interface for Linux users

Yup. I do exactly the same thing. I don't even bother installing their CLI client software. I just use the browser extension. Frankly, I'm good with that. I don't need to use a VPN for things like email and being able to have a different IP for each browser can have some benefits - especially if I'm consuming geo-locked media.

On one firefox, the extensions: "Dark Background and Light Text", and "AdBlocker for YouTube" suit me. No other adblocker on that browser, hence the ads come in freely. The reason that this browser is left so open is because of a particular experience. I applied to the government for a border pass during the covid lockdowns in a browser with an adblocker, and wasn't able to receive the return permit to the browser's screen. The returning permits were expected to appear on screen within a few minutes of applying, but after some hours, nothing appeared. After phone contact with the relevant office, they said they said they had received and approved the application, but had no explanation as to why I hadn't received it. I surmised eventually that it was the adblocker and for the next permit applied without that software running and the permit arrived as expected. So, for that sort of thing, it seems I need an open browser.

On another firefox browser, I have it locked down with an adblocker, and with the brave browser, it runs without ads and dutifully informs of the number of trackers and ads blocked every time I open it, which this morning was: 466.

craigevil, I get a "Page not found" on your attachment.

Members online