Getting code injection to work with Wine

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
Alright, so,

I have a game that is older than a lot of you on these forums. It uses code injection increase the version of DirectX rendering from 8.0 to 10.0. It does by introducing a modified d3d8.dll file along with shw32.dll to have an effect, identical to using large address aware (What's that?) so it can handle the graphical enhancements.

The thing is, that it runs fine, but the injected code simply will not engage. More interestingly yet, the loss in performance is such, as if the injected code were indeed to engage (that is also taking into account losses from translating draw calls from wine) but is not displaying on screen. Which is very curious.

So the whole thing looks as if the injected code is being processed, but it won't render. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with that?

I don't have any help, but I guess the first accepted computer game was from MIT back in 1962.

That means a lot of us are older than any computer games. I would have turned 5 at the end of 1962. So, I was probably 4 y.o. when the game was written.

(Your question made me curious about this.)

Yeah, well, a lot of them doesn't mean all of them. 1999 was 24... now coming up to 25 years ago. Its real basic stuff for modding, they do it in elder scrolls games all the time for better graphics. It's curious that it works at all, albeit without the modifications actually rendering. The changed textures are fine though, just without any post processing or bump mapping. And since the modification won't engage, its limited to 4GB of memory, thus limiting performance.

Have you tried to force VK over DxVK to see if that helps? I'm not well-versed in all of this, but perhaps the issue lies with the translation layer. Like I said, I'm not into this, so I don't really have a concrete idea.

Have you tried to force VK over DxVK to see if that helps? I'm not well-versed in all of this, but perhaps the issue lies with the translation layer. Like I said, I'm not into this, so I don't really have a concrete idea.
You mean VKD3D?

Members online