Debian 12 Trying To Back Up Hidden Config's [Solved]

Open your file manager. Press the UP button, so that you're in the /home directory instead of the /home/<user> directory.

Right click on it and select 'Copy'.

Open a new tab with your file manager. Navigate to your external drive or backup drive.

Right click in a blank area and select "Paste'.

Tada! You've backed up your home directory.

Repeat this regularly. Only, wait and watch the copy process start. You'll be prompted to overwrite existing files/merge. Any file that refuses to copy can be safely skipped.

There... You have a working backup system for your important files. If your install breaks, or if you install on another device, just do a clean install and copy back /home/<user> to the right directory. Then, install any missing software - and that software should use the configuration files that you backed up.

I can restore even Google Chrome this way and when I open Chrome up I see all my tabs open, all my passwords saved, all my favorites, all my settings, etc... I'm usually even still logged into the browser.

It's the easiest way to preserve /home that I can think of. It doesn't even take long ESPECIALLY if you store important data on a disk other than your OS disk.

The transfer is still in progress and on it's way to completion.

For just the config file for the docks I can do the same correct?

Do you use Google Drive or the Cloud for backups KGIII?

For just the config file for the docks I can do the same correct?

It is all of your files, from Downloads to Videos.

Do you use Google Drive or the Cloud for backups KGIII?

Not for my data. My online stuff has one site that gets encrypted and backed up every day.

It is all of your files, from Downloads to Videos.

Not for my data. My online stuff has one site that gets encrypted and backed up every day.
Got it.
Thanks-

Members online