Solved CPU1 running at 98% Constantly.....CPU2 running at 15% varying with load

Solved issue

Good to hear you're sorted, Brian.

The whole trouble is that computing, as an 'industry', is moving at light-speed compared to almost any other market sector. Most things, at 6-7 years old, have a ton of life still left in them, and are considered to be just getting 'run-in'. Anything tech-related, at that age it's beyond old. It's ancient. It's 'dinosaur-era'. It's not only got one foot in the grave, it's near as dammit got all the nails bar the last couple already hammered down in the lid.

Uber-geeks, and the tech blog journos don't help matters by insisting everyone MUST run the very newest of everything ALL THE TIME (and throw the 'safety/security' angle in, just to give you additional incentive to upgrade, like...) You're given the impression that if you don't 'keep up with the Joneses' then everyone will look down their noses at you and your life will come screeching immediately to an expensive & ignominious end. Uber-geeks, in particular, love spending all their time bragging about all the top-end, super hyper deluxe incredibly expensive gear they run, casually dropping a grand here, two grand there as though it were NOTHING.

KGIII has the right of it. Most devs these days run fully-loaded systems, with massive amounts of RAM/huge amounts of storage/ridiculously powerful CPUs, and take for granted that everyone is in the same place as them. As I've said before - somewhere! - your RAM is their playground. Nobody makes the slightest attempt to keep code 'tight & tidy' any longer; the advent of some of these modern programming languages positively encourages 'lazy' coding....

(Bear in mind that 16-32 GB RAM is now considered to be a necessity these days for a responsive system, irrespective of OS. They're seriously talking about PCs probably coming with 64-128 GB RAM as standard in the next 3-4 years....OOTB.)

And the one indispensable part of any system, the browser, has itself had to evolve to defend against all the on-line crap it gets bombarded with......resulting in multi-process monsters that have become RAM-guzzlers, due to every tab running in a separate 'sandbox' as it tries to keep your system/personal data safe.

Apparently, they have the cheek to call this 'progress'.....!!!!!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Well said, Mike.

I am not so worried about keeping up with the Jones's.....just giving myself a comfortable time, bearing in mind the expansive amount of time I spend sitting in front of this thing.

I do remember when life was clearly much simpler, and less oppressive

Good to hear you're sorted, Brian.

The whole trouble is that computing, as an 'industry', is moving at light-speed compared to almost any other market sector. Most things, at 6-7 years old, have a ton of life still left in them, and are considered to be just getting 'run-in'. Anything tech-related, at that age it's beyond old. It's ancient. It's 'dinosaur-era'. It's not only got one foot in the grave, it's near as dammit got all the nails bar the last couple already hammered down in the lid.

Uber-geeks, and the tech blog journos don't help matters by insisting everyone MUST run the very newest of everything ALL THE TIME (and throw the 'safety/security' angle in, just to give you additional incentive to upgrade, like...) You're given the impression that if you don't 'keep up with the Joneses' then everyone will look down their noses at you and your life will come screeching immediately to an expensive & ignominious end. Uber-geeks, in particular, love spending all their time bragging about all the top-end, super hyper deluxe incredibly expensive gear they run, casually dropping a grand here, two grand there as though it were NOTHING.

KGIII has the right of it. Most devs these days run fully-loaded systems, with massive amounts of RAM/huge amounts of storage/ridiculously powerful CPUs, and take for granted that everyone is in the same place as them. As I've said before - somewhere! - your RAM is their playground. Nobody makes the slightest attempt to keep code 'tight & tidy' any longer; the advent of some of these modern programming languages positively encourages 'lazy' coding....

(Bear in mind that 16-32 GB RAM is now considered to be a necessity these days for a responsive system, irrespective of OS. They're seriously talking about PCs probably coming with 64-128 GB RAM as standard in the next 3-4 years....OOTB.)

And the one indispensable part of any system, the browser, has itself had to evolve to defend against all the on-line crap it gets bombarded with......resulting in multi-process monsters that have become RAM-guzzlers, due to every tab running in a separate 'sandbox' as it tries to keep your system/personal data safe.

Apparently, they have the cheek to call this 'progress'.....!!!!!

Mike. ;)
Wow I must be a dinosaur still comfortably using computers with dual core processors and 4.0GB / 6.0GB / 8.0GB of memory and mechanical hard drives.

I just bumped my newest computer (2013) up to 16GB of memory that I found on Ebay for $10.00 so ain't no keeping up with the Jones's here.

16GB of memory that I found on Ebay for $10.00 (usd)
My additional memory cost less than that. Not by much...just a little bit.

I also scored a 512GB ssd (brand new) to put in a reasonably old hp laptop....for under $45 (aud)....and that was fitted !...rather the young guy pulling that horrible thing apart than me.

The laptop now performs like a dream....I probably need an extra brick to hold it down

I don't know exactly how old that cpu is...but it sure doesn't show any signs of age....not as far as I can tell, anyway.

Money well spent.

I spend a few minutes here and there watching the systemk monitor...I am fascinated by the sight of it working.

Is there a good temperature reader out there?....something simple but effective?

Is there a good temperature reader out there?....something simple but effective?

psensor, maybe? That should do what you're after. It can be a bit fiddly.

My additional memory cost less than that. Not by much...just a little bit.

I also scored a 512GB ssd (brand new) to put in a reasonably old hp laptop....for under $45 (aud)....and that was fitted !...rather the young guy pulling that horrible thing apart than me.

The laptop now performs like a dream....I probably need an extra brick to hold it down

I don't know exactly how old that cpu is...but it sure doesn't show any signs of age....not as far as I can tell, anyway.

Money well spent.
I've found some great deals on Ebay.

I spend a few minutes here and there watching the systemk monitor...I am fascinated by the sight of it working.

Yep I like monitoring software.

I use psensor and also xsensors.

There's also one called system monitoring center that's pretty neat.

@Condobloke :-

There's a lot of system monitoring software for Linux, Brian.

Mate-system-monitor and gnome-system-monitor you know about. You already have one or the other installed.

Stacer is quite fun:-

Screenshot.gif

There's CPU-X - a 'relative' of the famous CPU-Z for Windows:-

https://github.com/TheTumultuousUnicornOfDarkness/CPU-X/releases

Screenshot-285.png

But for my money, you can't beat Bill Wilson's almost legendary gKrellM.....a system monitoring process 'stack' that sits on your desktop, and gives a second-by-second readout of everything important that your system is getting up to:-

Screenshot-1.gif

Be warned; this thing is almost infinitely configurable, and CAN become highly addictive as you attempt to tailor it to your personal preferences! There's a huge number of colour themes available, and a ton of different plugins; you can see a couple of 'em above.....just below the legend 'CPU', there's 'gkx86info' (this one monitors the current frequency of your CPU on a second-by-second basis).....and down the bottom, there's 'gkleds', which lets you set up 'clickable' controls for your caps-lock and number-lock buttons, and lets you see whether they're 'active' or not.

gKrellM is available through every package manager I've ever come across. It's easy to compile, too; I 'updated' a ton of packages for a whole range of Puppies around 2 years ago.

You 'pays your money', and 'takes your pick'. And we're not short of choices on this side of the fence...

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
That was so well put, Mike that I almost put a Love on it, but I bought you a beer instead. It's a cold beer, from DownUnder.

And one for you too, Chris.

Members online